    with the door closed, does not let any fresh air in. The only inlet is a
    4-5" hole where the cables come in & out.

    It is ok you think? It's a P4 3.0 MHz if that matters.

    Bill, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Bill

    derek / nul Guest

    Put a thermometer in there to see what the temp gets to.
    I suggest without airflow, the system will overheat.

    derek / nul, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Bill

    olfart Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > I bought a really nice piece of computer furniture where the tower

    can
    > reside in an enclosed cabinet out of sight.
    >
    > My computer has PLENTY of fans, (2) 40cm in the front, and an 80 cm

    in the
    > back, plus internal fans. When put in the cabinet, it's certainly

    more
    > quiet than on top of my desk.
    >
    > There is plenty of ambient air around the tower (2-3" on each side).

    But
    > with the door closed, does not let any fresh air in. The only inlet

    is a
    > 4-5" hole where the cables come in & out.
    >
    > It is ok you think? It's a P4 3.0 MHz if that matters.

    Drilling more holes in the back will help increase airflow and
    certainly can't hurt things. Leaving the door at least partially open
    would be a good idea too.

    olfart, Dec 23, 2003
  4. olfart wrote:
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I bought a really nice piece of computer furniture where the tower

    > can
    >
    >>reside in an enclosed cabinet out of sight.
    >>
    >>My computer has PLENTY of fans, (2) 40cm in the front, and an 80 cm

    > in the
    >
    >>back, plus internal fans. When put in the cabinet, it's certainly

    > more
    >
    >>quiet than on top of my desk.
    >>
    >>There is plenty of ambient air around the tower (2-3" on each side).

    > But
    >
    >>with the door closed, does not let any fresh air in. The only inlet

    > is a
    >
    >>4-5" hole where the cables come in & out.
    >>
    >>It is ok you think? It's a P4 3.0 MHz if that matters.
    >>

    > Drilling more holes in the back will help increase airflow and
    > certainly can't hurt things. Leaving the door at least partially open
    > would be a good idea too.

    Drilling more holes *can* hurt things if part of the purpose is to make
    the computer quieter. The more holes the more noise will leak out.

    I think you should be OK, but it somewhat depends on what you have/do.
    If your PC contains several fast hard drives then it'll probably run
    hotter & thus need more cooling than a similar PC with only one drive.

    If you think it needs more cooling then you could try putting a fan in
    the desk (mount it in the cable hole if you can route the cables around
    it-or drill a separate hole for it). Or simply try olfart's idea of
    drilling more holes & see how objectionable the noise becomes.

    If the desk is against a wall you can try it freestanding. Or put
    sound-absorbing material on the wall. (An old piece of carpet usually
    works pretty well.) If it's still too loud 'seal' the gap between the
    desk & the wall, at least on the top & maybe the sides, with more
    sound-absourbing material (I'd recommend ceiling tile here). It should
    still vent down to the floor OK.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Bill

    Thor Guest

    plenty of fans mean squat if the ambient air heats up too much. I don't
    think the cabinet you describe affords enough fresh air to allow good
    cooling of a modern system.

    Thor, Dec 23, 2003
  6. How hot would be too hot? IIRC most components have no trouble up to 60C
    at least. Lower is safer of course, but I can't see the cabinet getting
    that hot unless it's airtight. Of course over time dust accumulates so
    component temperature rises-maybe this would work OK at first but fail
    later.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Bill

    joaquino Guest

    bill has big fans : )

    joaquino, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Bill

    Thor Guest

    > How hot would be too hot? IIRC most components have no trouble up to 60C
    > at least. Lower is safer of course, but I can't see the cabinet getting
    > that hot unless it's airtight. Of course over time dust accumulates so
    > component temperature rises-maybe this would work OK at first but fail
    > later.

    I have some customers with desks like these that have no real ventilation
    when the door is closed (save for a small cable hole). It gets awfully warm
    in there even when the system is older. Today's systems need to breathe.
    They rely more than ever on cool fresh air being drawn in to effectively
    cool the CPU, power supply, harddrives, chipset etc. A closed cabinet is not
    capable of providing a fresh air source. If the system is going to exhaust
    warm air right into a closed box, then intake that very same warmed air,
    then you've rendered the computer's exhaust fans almost useless. They might
    as well be recirculating hot air around the inside of the box with no
    outside vents at all. There are too many extra heat sources in today's PCs
    for me to feel comfortable with a cabinet like that. It's inviting trouble
    to put more stress on the system when it can be prevented by merely adding
    some extra vent holes to the back of the cabinet. If someone thinks a little
    fan noise is more important than keeping the system running cool and
    reliable, then they have their priorities out of whack IMHO.

    Thor, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Bill

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:59:33 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >I bought a really nice piece of computer furniture where the tower can
    >reside in an enclosed cabinet out of sight.
    >
    >My computer has PLENTY of fans, (2) 40cm in the front, and an 80 cm in the
    >back, plus internal fans. When put in the cabinet, it's certainly more
    >quiet than on top of my desk.
    >
    >There is plenty of ambient air around the tower (2-3" on each side). But
    >with the door closed, does not let any fresh air in. The only inlet is a
    >4-5" hole where the cables come in & out.
    >
    >It is ok you think? It's a P4 3.0 MHz if that matters.

    Open the door when the computer is running.

    Download Motherboard Monitor to check temp of the core reactor.

    Then start experimenting.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Dec 25, 2003