How much dpi do I need?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven Woody, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Steven Woody

    Steven Woody Guest

    Hi, group

    I am about to scan 35mm slide/neg to my computer, my first purpose is
    to view pictures on screen and transfer them to my friend, not print
    out. The max pic size would be 1024x768. So what dpi do I really
    need?

    In my calculation, 1024x768 for 35mm film only need a 800dpi
    scanner. I am wondering, for a scanner which got a resolution higer
    than 800dpi, does the result image look better than a 800dpi one? For
    example, if I use a 1200dpi scanner, the result image will be
    1800x1200, then I have to resize the image down to 1024x768, so the
    extra resolution get wasted. Am I right?

    Beside resolution, what other facts get involved into final image quality?
    Could anyone here give me some advice about a film scanner meets my
    purpose?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    %% (fortunes)
    Q: How did you get into artificial intelligence?
    Steven Woody, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Steven Woody

    Don Coon Guest

    "Steven Woody" <> wrote in message

    > Hi, group
    >
    > I am about to scan 35mm slide/neg to my computer, my first purpose is
    > to view pictures on screen and transfer them to my friend, not print
    > out. The max pic size would be 1024x768. So what dpi do I really
    > need?
    >
    > In my calculation, 1024x768 for 35mm film only need a 800dpi
    > scanner. I am wondering, for a scanner which got a resolution higer
    > than 800dpi, does the result image look better than a 800dpi one? For
    > example, if I use a 1200dpi scanner, the result image will be
    > 1800x1200, then I have to resize the image down to 1024x768, so the
    > extra resolution get wasted. Am I right?
    >
    > Beside resolution, what other facts get involved into final image quality?
    > Could anyone here give me some advice about a film scanner meets my
    > purpose?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    From experience, I can tell you that you don't want to do this twice -- once
    for screen viewing and later on for prints and posterity. You'll spend a
    lot more time on each slide scan getting rid of dust, scratches, etc. than
    you imagine.

    I purchased a 2700dpi slide scanner for about $400 (Acer Scanwit 2720) and
    scanned about 800 slides from 1960 through 1982. It took two months and I
    still haven't gone back and completed the dust/scratch removal. Consumed a
    lot of cans of compressed air in the process.

    Best of Luck!
    Don Coon, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Steven Woody

    Paul Jeffree Guest

    Don Coon wrote:
    <snip>
    > Consumed a lot of cans of compressed air in
    > the process.
    >
    > Best of Luck!

    Is that US name for Budweiser?
    ;-)

    --
    Paul J.
    -------
    Paul Jeffree, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Steven Woody

    Steven Woody Guest

    but ... you dont answer my question :-(

    --
    %% (fortunes)
    Q: How did you get into artificial intelligence?
    A: Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.
    Steven Woody, Aug 8, 2003