    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

    Old Gringo, Mar 8, 2009

  2. Old Gringo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-08, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    As many as have a person capable of carrying a stack of tape-reels or
    discs from one news-server to another across an international border. As
    it was done before the internet made it so much quicker and easier.

    I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means af
    accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 8, 2009

  3. Whiskers wrote:

    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    All of them?

    > I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means
    > af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

    Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they? :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2009
  4. Old Gringo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-08, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:
    >>> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    > All of them?
    >
    >> I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means
    >> af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

    > Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they? :)

    If they have electricity and fall within a suitable 'footprint'. And can
    afford the expense.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 8, 2009
  5. Old Gringo

    chuckcar Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote in

    > How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
    cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
    How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2009
  6. Whiskers wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >> All of them?
    >>
    >>> I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no
    >>> means af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

    >> Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they? :)

    > If they have electricity and fall within a suitable 'footprint'. And
    > can afford the expense.

    Solar power! Or hand-crank generators. Or windmills. Or ...

    <http://www.vetula.com/blog-radio/stories/2002/11/21/userExperiencesWithSateliteInternetAccess.html>
    "Down in Antarctica, the only internet access available is by
    satellite.." - so pretty much anywhere, I'd guess.

    For expense, we'll give 'em a Stimulus check.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2009
  7. chuckcar wrote:

    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    > That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
    > cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
    > How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

    <boggle> No, the Vatican, Monaco, North Korea, etc. are not
    countries...

    Only Sandwich Island is a country.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2009
  8. Old Gringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 23:29:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Old Gringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    >That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
    >cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
    >How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

    You are such an idiot.

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  9. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country
    >>> was clear cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South
    >>> Korea? Tibet? How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

    >> <boggle> No, the Vatican, Monaco, North Korea, etc. are not
    >> countries...
    >>

    > The UN calls *all* the above countries. What's *your* proof?

    Well, of course they are all countries. I guess you didn't see the humor
    of me poking fun at you for actually asking if they were. (and what that
    had to do with the question)

    >> Only Sandwich Island is a country.

    > Figures. Another nick for the useless twat that follows me around
    > usenet like a fairy chasing a movie actor.

    I have never seen a useless twat.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2009
  10. Old Gringo

    chuckcar Guest

    chuckcar, Mar 9, 2009
  11. Old Gringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:59:15 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >I have never seen a useless twat.

    I've never seen a picture of chucktard either.

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  12. Old Gringo

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-08, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>
    >>> All of them?

    >>> Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they? :)

    >> If they have electricity and fall within a suitable 'footprint'. And
    >> can afford the expense.

    > Solar power! Or hand-crank generators. Or windmills. Or ...
    >
    > <http://www.vetula.com/blog-radio/stories/2002/11/21/userExperiencesWithSateliteInternetAccess.html>
    > "Down in Antarctica, the only internet access available is by
    > satellite.." - so pretty much anywhere, I'd guess.
    >
    > For expense, we'll give 'em a Stimulus check.

    And somewhere to spend it?

    Even the CIA claim not to know if anyone on Pitcairn has an internet
    connection
    <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/pc.html#Intro>.
    Although the government has a web site and an email address.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 9, 2009
  13. Old Gringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Old Gringo Post:
    > How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    Leave it to good old
    Firefox:
    http://xrl.in/1q9c

    --
    Old Gringo

    OldGringo, Mar 9, 2009
  14. Old Gringo

    Buffalo Guest

    OldGringo wrote:
    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Old Gringo Post:
    >> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    > Leave it to good old
    > Firefox:
    > http://xrl.in/1q9c

    Great link. Lots of interesting stuff there if you go to a certain country.
    I looked at the Cayman Islands and looked up mortality figures. Interesting.
    Thanks again,
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Mar 9, 2009
  15. OldGringo wrote:

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Old Gringo Post:
    >> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

    > Leave it to good old Firefox [Google?]:
    > http://xrl.in/1q9c

    Nice link. The only thing is doesn't show (which might interest
    chucktard) is "countries with _no_ access." ;-)

    The Vatican is not listed. And, according to this following link, does
    not meet the eight criteria for being a country, and is rather an
    "Independent State."
    http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/vaticancountry.htm

    The country of Monaco has two ISPs.

    http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/numbercountries.htm
    How many countries are there? 195

    ...and 229 of them have internet access!! <lol>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2009
  16. Old Gringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:19:15 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >All it takes is a connection to a server. How many countries is not an
    >issue.

    All it takes is a connection to a server, and you have usenet access?
    Huh?

    By definition, any computer can be a server.

    So if I'm in the middle of nowhere - literally - with nothing but two
    computers, a generator, router, ethernet cables, etc - I have a
    network. One of the computer is a server. Does that mean I have USENET
    access?

    Maybe you meant something like "All it takes is an internet
    connection."

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  17. Old Gringo

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:19:15 -0400, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>All it takes is a connection to a server. How many countries is not an
    >>issue.

    > All it takes is a connection to a server, and you have usenet access?
    > Huh?

    In the context of this discussion, I suspect that the poster meant a
    connection to a news server.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Mar 9, 2009
  18. Old Gringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 09 Mar 2009 16:11:40 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >In the context of this discussion, I suspect that the poster meant a
    >connection to a news server.

    You don't know Richard - err sorry - RtS.

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  19. Old Gringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:06:25 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Nice link. The only thing is doesn't show (which might interest
    >chucktard) is "countries with _no_ access." ;-)

    Nothing interests that tard. He's wrong. Always. Full stop. And even
    when he's proven wrong, he's still right.

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  20. Old Gringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The §ñühw¤£f Post:
    > Old Gringo <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<xWVsl.24509$>:
    >
    >> How many<SLAP>

    > SIX! IVE TOLD YOU THIS ALREADY.
    > Ask again and you'll get the hose...