    Thank you
    --
    Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Grampy Pete

    Barb Bowman Guest

    if you have a wireless router, it includes an embedded access point.
    I don't recommend running the netgear wizard if that is what you
    mean. log into the router and set up the access point name and WPA2
    or at least WPA security. do not use WEP.

    windows should detect wireless networks and display an icon in the
    system tray near the clock, and you can connect from there.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 12, 2008

  3. Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete Guest

    Thank you for letting me know about the access point being in the router.
    Re: the wizard, I was referring to the win xp sp2 one- is it somewhat easy?
    Re: the WEP vs WPA, 2 Netgear techs said to use WEP. Is your instruction to
    use WAP b/c I will be networking rather than just being wireless as I am
    now, or is there another reason
    Thank you for your help?
    --
    Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete, Feb 12, 2008
  4. Grampy Pete

    Jim Guest

    "Grampy Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for letting me know about the access point being in the router.
    > Re: the wizard, I was referring to the win xp sp2 one- is it somewhat
    > easy?
    > Re: the WEP vs WPA, 2 Netgear techs said to use WEP. Is your instruction
    > use WAP b/c I will be networking rather than just being wireless as I am
    > now, or is there another reason
    > Thank you for your help?
    > --
    > Grampy Pete

    <snip>
    Take the Netgear tech's advice and put it into the trashcan. Use WPA on
    the wireless signal. The reason that Barb said to use WPA is
    that it is much more difficult to break. You do not use any encryption on
    the wired signal because it stays inside the cable.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 12, 2008
  5. Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete Guest

    Thanx for letting me know -WPA is what I'll try.
    --
    Grampy Pete

    Grampy Pete, Feb 12, 2008