How many years for Vista?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, May 8, 2007.

  1. How many years do you think Vista will be here until Microsoft puts out
    another operating system? Does anyone know of any plans for the next one?
    Just curious. I have XP home right now at home and i'm going to have to
    either upgrade to XP Pro or just go ahead and get Vista. Reason being
    Virtual PC 2007 can't be run on XP home.

    Does anyone know a version of Virtual PC that can be run on XP Home?

    Thanks

    --
    Keith Chilton - MCDST, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.

    Keith Chilton, May 8, 2007

  2. Keith Chilton

    catwalker63 Guest

    Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

    >XP home.

    Please don't take this the wrong way but, ew!! What were you thinking?

    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, May 8, 2007

  3. It was a christmas gift back in 2001. (xp home) I take it you are referring
    to that. lol

    Keith Chilton, May 8, 2007
  4. Keith Chilton

    RemoteShark Guest

    Microsoft will start with Windows "Vienna" in 2009/2010 and will eventually
    be called Windows 7. The reason I became interested was because of the
    codename. I live in Vienna, Austria. As long as Windows keeps moving, I will
    keep learning.

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, May 8, 2007
  5. Keith Chilton

    Thor Guest

    > Virtual PC 2007 can't be run on XP home.

    Have you tried?
    "Supported" and "Works with" are two different consepts; it would be very
    surprising if this does not work. Myself, I would try Virtual Server two.
    You have a slightly bigger chance of updates and service packs breaking
    stuff, of course, but risk should be minimal.
    53

    Thor, May 8, 2007
  6. RemoteShark

    Very interesting. Windows 7? lol? what happened to 1-6? Why is it codename
    Vienna? Is Vienna, Austria significant to the Operating System's
    development? lol? And what the heck is a codename anyways? I know Windows
    Server "Longhorn" is a codename also. Is it just what they call it
    "unofficially" or what until the real name is decided?

    Keith

    Keith Chilton, May 8, 2007
  7. Thor,

    I haven't tried it yet. But I'll give it a shot even though "i'm not
    supposed too" haha

    Keith

    Keith Chilton, May 8, 2007
  8. Keith Chilton

    catwalker63 Guest

    Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

    > RemoteShark
    >
    > Very interesting. Windows 7? lol? what happened to 1-6? Why is it codename
    > Vienna? Is Vienna, Austria significant to the Operating System's
    > development? lol? And what the heck is a codename anyways? I know Windows
    > Server "Longhorn" is a codename also. Is it just what they call it
    > "unofficially" or what until the real name is decided?

    It's supposed to make you feel like you're 007 or something. In the
    know. It's all meaningless marketing cr@p. And they change the naming
    scheme all the time. This is actuall a step backward -- remember
    Windows 3.1? NT 3.51 and 4?? Whatever. I think they kept the code name
    for Vista.

    catwalker63, May 8, 2007
  9. Keith Chilton

    RemoteShark Guest

    Microsoft has always named it's OS's after cities like a precodename, then a
    codename like "Longhorn" for Vista and or "Blackcomb" for Windows 7, then the
    final product name is released. Microsoft are simply codename junkies!
    Nothing more, nothing less!

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, May 9, 2007
  10. Keith Chilton

    Chris Venuti Guest

    95 was chicago
    98 was memphis
    XP was whistler.
    Vista was/is longhorn
    Longhorn server is blackcomb

    Chris Venuti, May 9, 2007
  11. Keith Chilton

    Chris Venuti Guest

    Sorry for being redundant I should have read the entire thread before
    speaking up.

    Chris Venuti, May 9, 2007