    few games when i need to put the world to rites!

    I was looking at 400 watts so just asking if this is ok or do i need to look
    a little higher?

    fastmoggy, Nov 16, 2005

  2. fastmoggy

    Guest

    I wouldn't recommend anything lower then 275 for p4 processor.
    In my opinion 400 w is more then enough.
    Nikita

    , Nov 16, 2005

  3. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I wouldn't recommend anything lower then 275 for p4 processor.
    > In my opinion 400 w is more then enough.
    > Nikita

    Thanks for that.
    I thought 400 would be ok
    Oh well the cheque books is going to need a fan cooler of its own tomorrow
    as i buy the bits!
    Bank manager in a panic as i type LOL!

    fastmoggy, Nov 16, 2005
  4. fastmoggy

    Tony Guest

    "fastmoggy" <fast.moggy@(hiss)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Just about to build a new computer but building something bigger than i
    > normally would!
    > Im using a 3Gig P4 800fsb (ok so not too new!) 2 hard drives(one for just
    > storage so not used much) DVD burner plus DVD reader. Graphics card AGP 8x
    > what ever i can afford!
    > Computer mainly to be used for internet(of course) and photo editing with
    > a few games when i need to put the world to rites!
    >
    > I was looking at 400 watts so just asking if this is ok or do i need to
    > look a little higher?

    400w should be more than enough. I have a similar spec running on 350w.

    Tony, Nov 16, 2005
  5. fastmoggy wrote:

    > Just about to build a new computer but building something bigger
    > than i normally would!
    > Im using a 3Gig P4 800fsb (ok so not too new!) 2 hard
    > drives(one for just storage so not used much) DVD burner plus
    > DVD reader. Graphics card AGP 8x what ever i can afford!
    > Computer mainly to be used for internet(of course) and photo
    > editing with a few games when i need to put the world to rites!
    >
    > I was looking at 400 watts so just asking if this is ok or do i
    > need to look a little higher?

    Calculator (click Intel at bottom of page):

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 16, 2005
  6. fastmoggy

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:46:13 GMT, "fastmoggy"
    <fast.moggy@(hiss)ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Just about to build a new computer but building something bigger than i
    >normally would!
    >Im using a 3Gig P4 800fsb (ok so not too new!) 2 hard drives(one for just
    >storage so not used much) DVD burner plus DVD reader. Graphics card AGP 8x
    >what ever i can afford!
    >Computer mainly to be used for internet(of course) and photo editing with a
    >few games when i need to put the world to rites!
    >
    >I was looking at 400 watts so just asking if this is ok or do i need to look
    >a little higher?

    This question was raised not so very long ago (less than 3 weeks) in
    24HSHD you can find the post by searching 24HSHD from
    http://groups.google.com

    The motherboard will require 'A' Watts, each hard disk 'B1' and 'B2' ,
    (these are made up of different voltages) Watts, etc for the DVDs, you
    add up each of these and a suitable safety margin say 20% and see what
    you get, maybe add spare for other devices you may connect later.

    400W looks ok for your setup, for myself I would go 500W as I tend to
    fling on extra disks up to 3 or 4 + PCI/RAID controllers and don't want
    to have problems.

    Example,
    Samsung DVD SD-616 , Power(W) = Volts(V) x Current(I)
    5V @ 2A = 10W
    12V @ 1A = 12W , total 22W.

    What you also have to watch is the power per voltage rail,

    You may see in the PSU spec see +3.3V and +5V max 105W.

    This means looking at 2 x DVD and 2 x HD

    2 x DVDs / 5V @ 20W / 12V @ 24W , 44W
    2 x HDs / 5V x 0.6A = 3W x 2 = 6W / 12V x 0.5A = 6W x 2 = 12W , 18W

    62W isn't a lot without CPU, Mobo, Graphics, maybe even USB powered
    devices, extra fans.

    The numbers look okay, no obvious errors.

    Me

    why?, Nov 16, 2005
  7. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    > Just about to build a new computer but building something bigger than i
    > normally would!
    > Im using a 3Gig P4 800fsb (ok so not too new!) 2 hard drives(one for just
    > storage so not used much) DVD burner plus DVD reader. Graphics card AGP 8x
    > what ever i can afford!
    > Computer mainly to be used for internet(of course) and photo editing with
    > a few games when i need to put the world to rites!
    >
    > I was looking at 400 watts so just asking if this is ok or do i need to
    > look a little higher?

    SO far
    Thanks for all your replies

    I'll go for the 400 watt for now and see what happens
    Im not a game junkie?? well im in my 40's but i still like to kick some
    alien butt! or vise versa! well im getting older LOL
    Basically i just want to have a system that's close to cutting edge as
    possible as this will be the last computer im going to build ( heard that
    one before!)
    As long as i can do my photography and website and surf the net im happy!

    fastmoggy, Nov 16, 2005