    commercial ones because the commercial ones are made more durable. Is
    this true?

    , Nov 7, 2007

  2. Kimba W Lion Guest

    wrote:

    >I know that vcr tapes wear out from playing them. I was originally
    >told that dvds never wear out but now I hear different. One thing I
    >dont understand is that when a dvd is burned, a laser melts the data
    >on to the dvd. Then that same laser plays the dvd later. It only
    >makes sense that each time a dvd is played the laser melts more of the
    >disk, so eventually the dvd wears out or should I say the data melts
    >away. This got me asking how many times a dvd can be played before it
    >dies? I heard that dvds made at home die much sooner than the
    >commercial ones because the commercial ones are made more durable. Is
    >this true?

    DVD burners (home recorders) use different power levels to record a DVD
    than to play it. The high-power laser burns a dye in the disc, which
    should be entirely stable at the low power used to play it. There is no
    evidence that playing any DVD wears it out. Homemade DVDs sometimes go
    bad, but no one can point to solid evidence for why. My personal belief is
    that burning at a slower speed than what the drive is rated for helps
    produce a more robust disc. I know I have never had any problems with
    discs I make going bad.

    Commercial DVDs are constructed completely differently from recordable
    DVDs, and should never go bad, assuming the factory did everything right.

    Kimba W Lion, Nov 7, 2007

  3. "Kimba W Lion" <kimbawlion> wrote in message

    > Commercial DVDs are constructed completely differently from recordable
    > DVDs, and should never go bad, assuming the factory did everything right.

    This may be reliable information in future but prima facie
    seems not to apply to commercial CDs sold in the 1990s,
    cf. the "epidemic" of disks turning gold and becoming unreadable.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Kimba W Lion Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote:

    >"Kimba W Lion" <kimbawlion> wrote in message
    >
    >> Commercial DVDs are constructed completely differently from recordable
    >> DVDs, and should never go bad, assuming the factory did everything right.

    >This may be reliable information in future but prima facie
    >seems not to apply to commercial CDs sold in the 1990s,
    >cf. the "epidemic" of disks turning gold and becoming unreadable.

    That's why I included the clause about doing everything right. The same
    thing happened to CDs from one major manufacturer in the 1990s. And every
    time someone tries to cut costs without considering the consequences, it
    will happen again. But these are defects, not inherent flaws in the media.

    Kimba W Lion, Nov 7, 2007
  5. <> wrote in message
    >I know that vcr tapes wear out from playing them. I was originally
    > told that dvds never wear out but now I hear different. One thing I
    > dont understand is that when a dvd is burned, a laser melts the data
    > on to the dvd. Then that same laser plays the dvd later. It only
    > makes sense that each time a dvd is played the laser melts more of the
    > disk, so eventually the dvd wears out or should I say the data melts
    > away. This got me asking how many times a dvd can be played before it
    > dies? I heard that dvds made at home die much sooner than the
    > commercial ones because the commercial ones are made more durable. Is
    > this true?

    A few things I can add to the posts already here.

    The 'factory' dvd's are stamped rather than burned and should have
    indefinite life (if everything is done right).
    The dyes uses in dvd-r or dvd+r has been known to fade over time, but this
    is not related to number of reads.
    Apparently the dyes in dvd+rw and dvd-rw are less stable and may fade sooner
    than their 'permanent' counterparts.

    The advice seems to be, do not rely on your burned dvd's to be permanent. It
    would be wise to copy the important data to new media every few years. ( but
    how many of us will remember to do that?)

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Nov 7, 2007
  6. Alan Bealby Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:56:56 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    ..
    ..
    >The dyes uses in dvd-r or dvd+r has been known to fade over time, but this
    >is not related to number of reads.
    >Apparently the dyes in dvd+rw and dvd-rw are less stable and may fade sooner
    >than their 'permanent' counterparts.
    >
    >The advice seems to be, do not rely on your burned dvd's to be permanent. It
    >would be wise to copy the important data to new media every few years. ( but
    >how many of us will remember to do that?)
    >
    >Stuart

    Re-writeable DVD's are supposed to have a limited number of rewrite
    cycles depending on the type of disc. The following link gives the
    approximate number of rewrites as 1,000 for DVD-RW and 100,000 for
    DVD-RAM. This and other articles I have read never link lifetime to
    read cycles but to age and/or rewrite cycles.

    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa11.htm

    Alan Bealby, Nov 7, 2007
  7. Phisherman Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 03:23:11 -0600, wrote:

    >I know that vcr tapes wear out from playing them. I was originally
    >told that dvds never wear out but now I hear different. One thing I
    >dont understand is that when a dvd is burned, a laser melts the data
    >on to the dvd. Then that same laser plays the dvd later. It only
    >makes sense that each time a dvd is played the laser melts more of the
    >disk, so eventually the dvd wears out or should I say the data melts
    >away. This got me asking how many times a dvd can be played before it
    >dies? I heard that dvds made at home die much sooner than the
    >commercial ones because the commercial ones are made more durable. Is
    >this true?

    A lot depends on how the DVD is handled rather than played. There are
    minor differences between burners and DVD brands. I've burned over
    7000 DVDs over the past 10 years, both personal and commercial and not
    one "went bad" unless it was abused.

    Phisherman, Nov 7, 2007