    Should the MS Press book for XP or Win2k + reviewing Transcenders or Measure
    Up practice exams be enough?
    By the way, I am not new to Windows 2000 or XP workstation.

    Tom, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Tom

    Andy Foster Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:20:23 -0700, Tom wrote:

    > I will have about 8 hours a day available to study for the next few weeks
    > and I want complete either 210 or 270 and A+ as quickly as possible.
    >
    > I'm sure I can pass the A+ by just reviewing the book and doing the
    > practice tests included in the book in a few days.
    >
    > About how many hours on average is the norm to take to complete the lab
    > exercises in the MS press books for 270 or 210? For instance if the
    > average was 75 hours reading and lab practice and 5 hours doing practice
    > tests on Transcenders or Measure Up, I could be ready to schedule the
    > tests within 2 weeks if I had 8 hours to spend on it each day.
    > Should the MS Press book for XP or Win2k + reviewing Transcenders or
    > Measure Up practice exams be enough?
    > By the way, I am not new to Windows 2000 or XP workstation.

    FFS, how long is a piece of string ?
    Schedule the test when you feel you're ready.

    Andy Foster, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Tom

    Herb Martin Guest

    > FFS, how long is a piece of string ?
    > Schedule the test when you feel you're ready.

    Good answer but better is to schedule it for one week away
    (he has 8 hours per day to study) and if you aren't ready then
    move it.

    Having an APPOINTMENT changes your brain -- you study
    more, study better, focus and remember more.

    You are much more likely to both get ready and test that day if
    you are registered than if you just "plan" to take a test on or by
    a certain date.

    Pick an agrressive schedule, register, and try to make it work.

    Also, consider there is little downside (except ego and $125) to
    missing an exam so consider taking it to find out your weak
    areas rather than spend much more of your time/money on "study
    materials" (after the product and may a good book.)

    The built-in documentation and MS web site generally has more
    and better stuff than you can buy anyway. TechNet TechNet
    TechNet (and the Help too.)

    Now, if you are destitute or on a tight budget you have to factor
    that $125 more carefully but if your time has value ($10, $50, or
    more per hour) how much saved time pays for just TAKE THE
    EXAM early?

    Most people plan FAR too long. Even on new products there is
    seldom a reason to study for more than 2-4 days.

    I am talking STUDY and WORK -- not "planning" for it.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Sep 21, 2003