How many sensors are needed to produce a non-interpolated 3.4MP image?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Georgette Preddy, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel

    = 10.2 million minimum.

    With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Georgette Preddy

    Nacho Guest

    Re: How many sensors are needed to produce a non-interpolated 3.4MPimage?

    Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    >
    > = 10.2 million minimum.
    >
    > With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    > thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    Well, you need the same for Foveon! but they are put one over the other,
    and not side by side. But you need all them in any case!
    Nacho, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Georgette Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message

    Who asked?
    Alan D-W, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Re: How many sensors ?? Any sense?

    Georgette Preddy wrote:

    > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    >
    > = 10.2 million minimum.
    >
    > With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    > thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    The person posting under the name of George or Georgette Preddy (and
    other pseudonyms) has an ungrounded but zealous faith that current
    implementation of the Foveon chip is superior to all other chip
    technologies. He will cite portions of reviews to ostensibly support his
    claims, and will repeat, ad naseum, complete lines of out-of-context
    material.

    His claims may well be ignored, or at the very least verified since most
    of them are extreme distortions and some are out and out fabrications."

    Moreover, "Mr." "Preddy" has claimed to be a photographer (pro!), but
    cannot bring himself to post a single picture with EXIF info that he
    shot himself, in spite of repeated requests and challenges to do so.

    Apparently he loathes anything related to Canon and loves everything
    about Sigma cameras and lenses. His "claims" may be ignored, and he is
    doing Sigma, and anyone related to the Foveon chip, no good at all by
    arousing ire, increasing the N/S ratio, and generally spamming this
    newsgroup.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Georgette Preddy

    Bryce Guest

    Everyone gives a shit about you and what you think.
    Bryce, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Nacho <> wrote in message news:<c9ndiu$>...
    > Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    > >
    > > = 10.2 million minimum.
    > >
    > > With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    > > thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    > Well, you need the same for Foveon! but they are put one over the other,
    > and not side by side. But you need all them in any case!

    Correct answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Good job!

    3.43MPs absolutely requires 10.29M individual RGB sensors, minimum.
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 4, 2004
  7. "Nacho" <> wrote in message
    > Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    > >
    > > = 10.2 million minimum.
    > >
    > > With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    > > thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    > Well, you need the same for Foveon! but they are put one over the other,
    > and not side by side. But you need all them in any case!

    Maybe what Foveon should try to do, to solve their spatial resolution
    problem, is to design a multi-layer sensor with offset layers. Of course
    there is no reason to go to this expense and complexity, since it would be
    better to build a single layer sensor with a mosaic filter, and you'll get
    better color accuracy. OTOH, if they could build a sensor with 6 to 10
    megapixels, composed of 3 sensors per pixel, and solve the color
    contamination and noise issues. then they'd have camera makers beating a
    path to their door, rather than having to settle for third and fourth tier
    manufacturers as their only customers for X3.

    It's very hard to make a living selling sensors, when the biggest potential
    customers for your sensors make their own sensors that ar far superior to
    what you are able to offer.
    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Georgette Preddy

    > Correct answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Good job!

    Patronising idiot
    Alan D-W, Jun 4, 2004

    Wrong. Answer is to be found at: http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/
    Charles Schuler, Jun 4, 2004
  10. "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<b%%vc.21337$>...
    > "Nacho" <> wrote in message
    > > Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > > > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    > > >
    > > > = 10.2 million minimum.
    > > >
    > > > With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    > > > thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    > > Well, you need the same for Foveon! but they are put one over the other,
    > > and not side by side. But you need all them in any case!

    > Maybe what Foveon should try to do, to solve their spatial resolution
    > problem, is to design a multi-layer sensor with offset layers.

    Yes! We want unusably blurry images too!
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 5, 2004
  11. "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    > >
    > > = 10.2 million minimum.

    > Wrong. Answer is to be found at: http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/

    3.43MP absolutely requires 10.29M sensors. 13.72M sensors if the
    sensor is an old, 2D, monochrome Bayer. The math is extrememly
    complex, it looks like this...

    1R + 1G + 1B = 1 full color pixel

    Feel free to stare at it for a while if you need to.

    Canon 10D = 1.5 MP
    Nikon D100 = 1.5 MP
    Fuji S2 Pro = 1.5 MP
    Canon 1D MkII = 2.0 MP
    Canon 1Ds = 2.76 MP
    Kodak 14n/c = 3.30 MP
    Sigma SD10 = 3.43 MP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 5, 2004
  12. Re: How many sensors are needed to produce a non-interpolated 3.4MPimage?

    Georgette Preddy wrote:

    > "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>"Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>A: At least 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue for every output pixel
    >>>
    >>>= 10.2 million minimum.

    >>Wrong. Answer is to be found at: http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/

    > 3.43MP absolutely requires 10.29M sensors. 13.72M sensors if the
    > sensor is an old, 2D, monochrome Bayer. The math is extrememly
    > complex, it looks like this...
    >
    > 1R + 1G + 1B = 1 full color pixel
    >
    > Feel free to stare at it for a while if you need to.
    >
    > Canon 10D = 1.5 MP
    > Nikon D100 = 1.5 MP
    > Fuji S2 Pro = 1.5 MP
    > Canon 1D MkII = 2.0 MP
    > Canon 1Ds = 2.76 MP
    > Kodak 14n/c = 3.30 MP
    > Sigma SD10 = 3.43 MP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Somewhat interesting that camera manufacturers and rating bodies don't
    at all agree with this fiction......
    --

    If you are new here:
    ++++++ +++++++++ ++++++++++

    John McWilliams, Jun 5, 2004

    > > "Nacho" <> wrote in message

    > > > Well, you need the same for Foveon! but they are put one over the

    other,
    > > > and not side by side. But you need all them in any case!

    > > Maybe what Foveon should try to do, to solve their spatial resolution
    > > problem, is to design a multi-layer sensor with offset layers.

    > Yes! We want unusably blurry images too!

    What you want is a Canon or a Nikon. Check out
    http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/
    Charles Schuler, Jun 5, 2004
  14. Charles Schuler, Jun 5, 2004
  15. Georgette Preddy

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Charles Schuler <> wrote:
    >For more information, check out
    >http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/

    Not much of a site - a lot of inaccurate information. It's a mix of
    accurate information and inaccurate information.

    Besides it's beyond my understanding why somebody would put up such an
    effort to create a page about the SD10. It's just not worth the time you
    lose creating it.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jun 5, 2004
  16. Not my site. Seems to serve a purpose, though. Been around here much?
    Charles Schuler, Jun 5, 2004
  17. John McWilliams <> wrote in message news:<tJlwc.48776$eY2.29649@attbi_s02>...
    > Georgette Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >
    > >>"Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > >>Wrong. Answer is to be found at: http://nordicgroup.us/sigma/

    > > 3.43MP absolutely requires 10.29M sensors. 13.72M sensors if the
    > > sensor is an old, 2D, monochrome Bayer. The math is extrememly
    > > complex, it looks like this...
    > >
    > > 1R + 1G + 1B = 1 full color pixel
    > >
    > > Feel free to stare at it for a while if you need to.
    > >
    > > Canon 10D = 1.5 MP
    > > Nikon D100 = 1.5 MP
    > > Fuji S2 Pro = 1.5 MP
    > > Canon 1D MkII = 2.0 MP
    > > Canon 1Ds = 2.76 MP
    > > Kodak 14n/c = 3.30 MP
    > > Sigma SD10 = 3.43 MP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Somewhat interesting that camera manufacturers and rating bodies don't
    > at all agree with this fiction......

    If you think color is fiction, it might be interesting.

    Obviously listing monochrome MPs, before color interpolation, is
    laughable. But they sure fooled you.
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 6, 2004
  18. Re: How many posts are needed?

    Georgette Preddy wrote:

    > Obviously listing monochrome MPs, before color interpolation, is
    > laughable. But they sure fooled you.

    No, "they" didn't.

    What's laughable is your stance, were it not for the noise introduced by
    your various posting frauds.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 6, 2004
  19. Georgette Preddy

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Georgette Preddy <> wrote:
    >With an old 1 layer Bayer design, that equates to 13.7M as 25% are
    >thrown away in exchange for cheap 2D scalability.

    That's a bald-faced lie as none are "thrown away".

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 13, 2004