    this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
    Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
    with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA
    Matthew Morrison, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Matthew Morrison

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, "Matthew Morrison"
    <> scribbled:

    >I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they saw
    >this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
    >Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
    >with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

    www.whatis.com
    www.webopedia.com

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Matthew Morrison

    Anna Guest

    Matthew Morrison <> wrote in message
    > I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they

    saw
    > this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
    > Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
    > with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

    The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports,
    the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.

    The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

    The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

    The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535

    http://www.commandline.net/port1.txt
    Anna, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Thanks!
    Matthew Morrison, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Matthew Morrison

    °Mike° Guest

    There are 65,535.

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, in
    <NlPFb.621850$HS4.4550658@attbi_s01>
    Matthew Morrison scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Matthew Morrison

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, Matthew Morrison wrote:

    > I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they saw
    > this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
    > Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
    > with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

    I know that other links have been posted but this is the resource I have
    been turning for info.

    hth
    Warwick
    Warwick, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Matthew Morrison

    RockLobster

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    there are actually 65,536 ports, the one a lot of people forget to include, is port 0.
    RockLobster, Aug 10, 2008
  8. Matthew Morrison

    K A Siva

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    ports

    Hi all,

    65, 536 ports refers to the IP ports used for Port Address translation when you are using one IP address to connect to the network as many users...right?

    How about ethernet ports? These are in the form of NIC cards that re inbuilt, yes? PLs enlighten me!!
    K A Siva, Jan 21, 2009
  9. Matthew Morrison

    BlackFang171

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    -edit- I just noticed how old this thread is, lol...

    The number of Ethernet ports depends on the machine. Most end user computers have only one NIC, providing one Ethernet port. Laptops will usually have two NICs. One is for WiFi. high end computers will sometimes have a special NIC that uses two ethernet ports and accesses them asynchronously to get a faster network connection (with a good enough router and fast enough connection you can have incredible transfer speeds between computers on the same router or switch, although your connection to the internet for now is limited by the service provider) There are also several other types of physical ports, the number of which is determined by the individual computer. These consist of PS/2, USB, eSATA, 3.5mm audio, SPDIF, optical SPDIF, VGA, HDMI, DVI, D-Sub, and others.
    BlackFang171, Jul 24, 2012