    Dogfart Guest

    Are more pixels the better when taking shots?

    My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    Dogfart, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Dogfart

    Scott W Guest

    Dogfart wrote:
    > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >
    > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    More pixels more better.

    You can always reduce the number later if you wish.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Dogfart

    Mark² Guest

    Dogfart wrote:
    > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >
    > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    Nice troll.

    Mark², Oct 30, 2005
  4. Dogfart

    Pete D Guest

    > Dogfart wrote:
    >> Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >>
    >> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > Nice troll.

    Yes indeedy.

    Pete D, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Dogfart

    Dogfart Guest

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, at 23:14:39 [GMT -0700] (17:14:39 Sunday, 30 October
    2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:

    >> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > Nice troll.

    Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    Dogfart, Oct 30, 2005
  6. "Dogfart" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, at 23:14:39 [GMT -0700] (17:14:39 Sunday, 30 October
    > 2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    > >> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > > Nice troll.

    > Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    In that case you obviously have too much money!

    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Dogfart

    Mark² Guest

    Dogfart wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, at 23:14:39 [GMT -0700] (17:14:39 Sunday, 30
    > October 2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    >>> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    >> Nice troll.

    > Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    So you really spent $5K plus lenses on your FIRST digital camera?

    Mark², Oct 30, 2005
  8. Dogfart

    Dogfart Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, at 00:14:13 [GMT -0700] (18:14:13 Sunday, 30 October
    2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:

    >> Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    > So you really spent $5K plus lenses on your FIRST digital camera?

    Not that much in Singapore.

    Plus I already had the lens.

    Used a Canon G3 at work for a couple of years.

    Dogfart, Oct 30, 2005
  9. "Dogfart" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, at 00:14:13 [GMT -0700] (18:14:13 Sunday, 30 October
    > 2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    > >> Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    > > So you really spent $5K plus lenses on your FIRST digital camera?

    > Not that much in Singapore.
    >
    > Plus I already had the lens.
    >
    > Used a Canon G3 at work for a couple of years.

    http://www.expansys.com.sg/product.asp?code=NIK_D2X_BODY
    This crowd has one (body only) for SG$8,139.95!
    Is that cheap?
    Singapore prices are no longer cheaper than the rest of the world.
    I still think you have too much money!

    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Dogfart wrote:
    > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >
    > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    The owner's manual will expain.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 30, 2005
  11. "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message

    > "Dogfart" <> wrote in message

    >> > Nice troll.

    >> Not really. New to this digital stuff.
    >>

    > In that case you obviously have too much money!

    "Too much money?" You must be a liberal ;-)

    Pat

    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 30, 2005
  12. Dogfart

    Scott W Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Dogfart wrote:
    > > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    > >
    > > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > The owner's manual will expain.
    >
    > --

    The owners manual will explain how to change the number of pixels but
    not why you would want to use a given number.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Dogfart

    Stewy Guest

    In article <5820399163$>,
    Dogfart<> wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, at 23:14:39 [GMT -0700] (17:14:39 Sunday, 30 October
    > 2005 where I live) "Mark2" wrote:
    >
    > >> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > > Nice troll.

    > Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    Set it on the highest quality setting. What's the point of buying the
    quality if you don't use it?

    Stewy, Oct 30, 2005
  14. Dogfart

    Vaughn Guest

    Dogfart wrote:
    > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >
    > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    Have a look through the other Pixel No. subjected posts. they all
    mention that if you are shooting for Web or TV shots then unless your
    enlarging to the Max you do not need to go too high on the pixel
    quality as the screen have a very low resolution.

    on the other had if your shooting distance shot, and then enlarging them
    tot the absolute max you will need better resolution, and so more pixels.

    In my VERY humbel opinion the more the pixels the more memory required,
    so iff out for the day and taking shots your enlrging very little lower
    the pixels so you can take more shots, or just get a larger memory card.

    This shouldn't be a problem as you obviously have more money than most
    of use can shack a price tag at ;-}

    Vaughn

    Vaughn, Oct 30, 2005
  15. Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

    > "Dogfart" <> wrote in message

    >>>So you really spent $5K plus lenses on your FIRST digital camera?

    >>Not that much in Singapore.
    >>
    >>Plus I already had the lens.
    >>
    >>Used a Canon G3 at work for a couple of years.
    >>

    > http://www.expansys.com.sg/product.asp?code=NIK_D2X_BODY
    > This crowd has one (body only) for SG$8,139.95!
    > Is that cheap?
    > Singapore prices are no longer cheaper than the rest of the world.
    > I still think you have too much money!

    It's interesting in this case - trolls don't usually respond after they
    have dumped their initial post. He seems to be pushing his ignorance of
    whether more pixels is better in digital imaging.

    So is an obvious troll a troll in itself? He got us!

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 30, 2005
  16. Dogfart

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Dogfart wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, at 23:14:39 [GMT -0700] (17:14:39 Sunday, 30 October
    > 2005 where I live) "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    >>> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    >> Nice troll.

    > Not really. New to this digital stuff.

    I think you'll have trouble convincing people you're serious
    with the user name you've chosen :)

    Jim Townsend, Oct 30, 2005
  17. Scott W wrote:
    > Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >> Dogfart wrote:
    >> > Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >> >
    >> > My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    >> The owner's manual will expain.
    >>
    >> --

    > The owners manual will explain how to change the number of pixels but
    > not why you would want to use a given number.

    I believe that most also explain that more pixels mean better quality
    enlargements and that you can fit more images on a card with smaller size
    files. I would think the D2 manual would include that information. I guess
    you would need to read more than one page of the manual to find it, but when
    you spend that much on a camera, I would think you would want to read the
    whole manual to understand as much as possible about the camera to get the
    most out of your investment.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 30, 2005
  18. Dogfart

    Mark² Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    >> Joseph Meehan wrote:

    >>> The owner's manual will expain.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> The owners manual will explain how to change the number of pixels but
    >> not why you would want to use a given number.

    > I believe that most also explain that more pixels mean better
    > quality enlargements and that you can fit more images on a card with
    > smaller size files. I would think the D2 manual would include that
    > information.

    It may not cover that, since it's usually a safe assumption that purchasers
    of the $5K D2X are more than beginners...

    Mark², Oct 30, 2005
  19. Dogfart

    Roy Guest

    > Dogfart wrote:
    >> Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >>
    >> My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use.

    > Nice troll.

    Hi.

    It certainly looks like something has escaped from under its bridge, but I
    would not be too sure about it.

    I can remember someone coming into the shop, with a Leica M6 and asking for
    a Film to be put in it. "What kind of Film?" "Whatever is the best".
    Knowledge of photography, and ability to use an M6, Zero out of ten.

    There are people who just buy the most expensive model of anything without
    caring whether that particular item might be too complicated for them.

    Roy G

    Roy, Oct 30, 2005
  20. Dogfart

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Are more pixels the better when taking shots?
    >My D2X has three choices, not sure which one to use

    The guys I know with this camera use the 12 Mpix mode (1.5x crop) most
    of the time, but when shooting sports or similar you can switch to the
    6.8 Mpixel mode (2x crop) and gain faster frame rate for capturing
    action shots. Most newspapers barely need 4 Mpixels for example so
    that mode is fine for them.

    Dunno what is behind door # 3, but the basic choice is between a 12
    Mpix 1.5x crop and a faster frame rate 6.8 Mpix 2x crop ...

    Bill Hilton, Oct 30, 2005