    equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?

    Thanks,

    Bluesman

    Bluesman, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Bluesman

    Steven Wandy Guest

    depends totally on the number of megapixels of the camera and the quality
    level (read compression level) that the camera gives you choices of.
    for example: I have an oly e-1 and a 512 mb card can hold anywhere from
    about 30 to several hundred images.

    Steven Wandy, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Bluesman

    Charlie Self Guest

    Bluesman asks:

    >Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    >approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    >equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?

    Forget floppies, They are no longer relevant.

    What is an average photo? I've got a 5 MP camera that can store as few as 16
    photos or as many as 90 (I haven't tried the very low rez settings) on a 256 MB
    CF. I've got a couple of 128 MB CFs from early days, but don't use them often.
    A quick check at the lowest settings shows 578 expected on the 256 MB card.
    Halve that for your 128 MB, but..

    What camera? What settings?

    Charlie Self
    "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
    America." William J. Clinton

    Charlie Self, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Bluesman

    CSM1 Guest

    "Bluesman" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Bluesman

    How many digital photos on a 128 MB card, depends on the resolution of the
    camera, the format of the files and/or the amount of compression used for
    the files.

    A HD 3.5" floppy holds 1.44 Megabytes of data, so 128/1.44=88.88. A 128
    megabyte card will hold 88 times what a floppy will hold.

    Using 1.5 Megabytes for an average JPEG image, you can get about 85 images
    on a 128 MB card.

    Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and look at some of the camera specs.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Bluesman

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Charlie Self
    <> writes
    >Bluesman asks:
    >
    >>Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    >>approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    >>equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?

    >Forget floppies, They are no longer relevant.
    >
    >What is an average photo? I've got a 5 MP camera that can store as few as 16
    >photos or as many as 90 (I haven't tried the very low rez settings) on a 256 MB
    >CF. I've got a couple of 128 MB CFs from early days, but don't use them often.
    >A quick check at the lowest settings shows 578 expected on the 256 MB card.
    >Halve that for your 128 MB, but..
    >
    >What camera? What settings?
    >
    >Charlie Self
    >"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
    >America." William J. Clinton
    >
    >http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

    This is one occasion when the right answer is "read the ... manual"! It
    will tell you how many pictures you will get in each quality
    (resolution/compression), for a specific card capacity. Multiply up or
    down for your particular card.

    Since the content of your images is not known in advance, and some
    compress better than others, you may find you get a few more that it
    says (the quoted figures are pessimistic). My Coolpix says 81 highest
    quality JPEG images for a 128MB card, but I regularly get 120 out of it.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Bluesman

    Steve Guest

    Bluesman wrote:
    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Bluesman

    Bluesman:

    It depends on the number of megapixels and the file compress. With my
    Nikon, at 3 MPs and the lowest JPEG compression I get about 120 pics on a
    128 MB card.

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Bluesman

    Don Coon Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Bluesman wrote:
    > > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > > Bluesman

    > Bluesman:
    >
    > It depends on the number of megapixels and the file compress. With my
    > Nikon, at 3 MPs and the lowest JPEG compression I get about 120 pics on a
    > 128 MB card.
    >
    > Steve

    Add picture content to that formula. A shot of a clear blue sky or one of
    the moon in a black night sky will compress significantly more that a busy
    landscape shot.

    Don Coon, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Bluesman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bluesman wrote:
    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Bluesman

    It depends entirely on how the pictures are stored, and how many pixels
    need to be stored.

    I have a 4 mp camera that generates .jpg files that rance from about
    350K to 1.8 meg. in size. With .jpg files, the content of the photo and
    the method of compression (the actual alogrithm) affect both the quality
    and end size of the file.
    I get from 130 to 150 pictures per 128 meg. card.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Bluesman

    bob Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    > Bluesman wrote:
    >> Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    >> approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the

    > and end size of the file.
    > I get from 130 to 150 pictures per 128 meg. card.

    Another datapoint:

    On a recent trip, 164 photos from my 5 Mp camera took 240 Mb.

    Bob

    --
    remove the backwards "SPAM" to reply.

    bob, Mar 4, 2004
  10. (Bluesman) wrote in

    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?

    I assume that you have a camera to put the falsh card in?
    Why don't you check how big the pictures are on your disk?
    Then do some math.

    /Roland

    BTW - modern 3-5 Mpixel consumer cameras create 1-2 MByte
    large files at best quality JPEG. But your talk about floppies
    and 500 makes me think that you have some kind of Mavica
    that makes much smaller pictures.

    Roland Karlsson, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Bluesman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roland Karlsson wrote:
    > (Bluesman) wrote in
    >

    >>Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    >>approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    >>equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?

    > I assume that you have a camera to put the falsh card in?
    > Why don't you check how big the pictures are on your disk?
    > Then do some math.
    >

    > /Roland
    >
    > BTW - modern 3-5 Mpixel consumer cameras create 1-2 MByte
    > large files at best quality JPEG. But your talk about floppies
    > and 500 makes me think that you have some kind of Mavica
    > that makes much smaller pictures.

    I assume that other cameras tell you how many pictures you have left (an
    estimate, of course) as both my Kodak digitals do. Of course, this may
    be subject to some variation as the 128 meg Sandisk SD cards indicate
    139 pictures, and the Lexar 128 meg card indicates 151. Curious, isn't it?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Bluesman

    Mark B. Guest

    "Bluesman" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb?

    Of course not; that depends on the resolution, and compression if jpeg
    format. Check the camera manual for that sort of information.

    Mark

    Mark B., Mar 4, 2004
  13. Bluesman

    sombody Guest

    Bluesman wrote:
    > Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    > approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb? They say it is the
    > equal of 90 floppies...so, what maybe 500 average sized digital pics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Bluesman

    It will hold 128mb of pictures

    sombody, Mar 5, 2004
  14. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I assume that other cameras tell you how many pictures you have left (an
    > estimate, of course) as both my Kodak digitals do. Of course, this may
    > be subject to some variation as the 128 meg Sandisk SD cards indicate
    > 139 pictures, and the Lexar 128 meg card indicates 151. Curious, isn't

    it?

    No, it's accidental or deliberate misrepresntation of the card's size by
    the vendor:

    128,000,000 bytes

    or

    128 * 1024 * 1024 bytes

    (minus any stuff from formatting, of course).

    Caveat emptor!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Bluesman

    Tom Spillman Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in news:IIKdnTKjTqmOINrdRVn-
    :

    > "Bluesman" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking at a Lexar flash drive to store some photos, but don't know
    >> approximately how many pics can be held by 128mb?

    > Of course not; that depends on the resolution, and compression if jpeg
    > format. Check the camera manual for that sort of information.
    >
    > Mark

    According to my camera's manual (Canon G5) it varies from 25 in RAW format
    to 1,355 at 640X480 and "normal" compression.

    Regards...

    Tom

    Tom Spillman, Mar 5, 2004
  16. Bluesman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > []
    >
    >>I assume that other cameras tell you how many pictures you have left (an
    >>estimate, of course) as both my Kodak digitals do. Of course, this may
    >>be subject to some variation as the 128 meg Sandisk SD cards indicate
    >>139 pictures, and the Lexar 128 meg card indicates 151. Curious, isn't

    > it?
    >
    > No, it's accidental or deliberate misrepresntation of the card's size by
    > the vendor:
    >
    > 128,000,000 bytes
    >
    > or
    >
    > 128 * 1024 * 1024 bytes
    >
    > (minus any stuff from formatting, of course).
    >
    > Caveat emptor!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    WinXP reports 125 million bytes or the Sandisk SD, 127 million bytes on
    the Lexar SD, and 128 million bytes on a Lexar CF card. Interesting,
    as all are formatted FAT(16). Also, if I understand correctly, all they
    cards actually use the same flash memory chip.
    Note the Sandisk cards seem a bit flakey in my PQI reader.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 5, 2004
  17. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    []
    > WinXP reports 125 million bytes or the Sandisk SD, 127 million bytes on
    > the Lexar SD, and 128 million bytes on a Lexar CF card. Interesting,
    > as all are formatted FAT(16). Also, if I understand correctly, all they
    > cards actually use the same flash memory chip.
    > Note the Sandisk cards seem a bit flakey in my PQI reader.

    Right-click, properties will lead to a full decimal bytes available etc.
    report. May show something up. I had the same sort of issue with cards
    reporting different capacity, and it was the MB versus Million bytes issue
    that I put it down to.

    An old SanDisk 20MB card that just happens to be in the reader right now
    reports:

    used: 712,704 bytes
    free: 19,251,200 bytes
    capacity: 19,963,904 bytes..

    chkdsk reports:

    19,963,904 bytes total disk space.
    4,096 bytes in 1 hidden files.
    8,192 bytes in 2 folders.
    700,416 bytes in 3 files.
    19,251,200 bytes available on disk.

    4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    4,874 total allocation units on disk.
    4,700 allocation units available on disk.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Bluesman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > []
    >
    >>WinXP reports 125 million bytes or the Sandisk SD, 127 million bytes on
    >>the Lexar SD, and 128 million bytes on a Lexar CF card. Interesting,
    >>as all are formatted FAT(16). Also, if I understand correctly, all they
    >>cards actually use the same flash memory chip.
    >>Note the Sandisk cards seem a bit flakey in my PQI reader.

    > Right-click, properties will lead to a full decimal bytes available etc.
    > report. May show something up. I had the same sort of issue with cards
    > reporting different capacity, and it was the MB versus Million bytes issue
    > that I put it down to.
    >
    > An old SanDisk 20MB card that just happens to be in the reader right now
    > reports:
    >
    > used: 712,704 bytes
    > free: 19,251,200 bytes
    > capacity: 19,963,904 bytes..
    >
    > chkdsk reports:
    >
    > 19,963,904 bytes total disk space.
    > 4,096 bytes in 1 hidden files.
    > 8,192 bytes in 2 folders.
    > 700,416 bytes in 3 files.
    > 19,251,200 bytes available on disk.
    >
    > 4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    > 4,874 total allocation units on disk.
    > 4,700 allocation units available on disk.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    The right click and properties was the source of my information, rounded
    for simple typing.
    nn

    Ron Hunter, Mar 6, 2004
  19. Card Capacity - are manufacturers deceiving you? (was: Re: How many photos will 128mb hold?)

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    []
    > The right click and properties was the source of my information, rounded
    > for simple typing.
    > nn

    So do you think the difference in capacity between Lexar SD/Lexar CF and
    SanDisk SD is a deliberate deception or what?

    I can imagine two differnt firms using two standards (128,000,000 and 128
    * 1024 * 1024) bytes, but what about the two Lexars? Should they be more
    correctly described as 127MB and 128MB? Is the customer being deceived?
    Should the real capacity be used when comparing prices?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 6, 2004
  20. Bluesman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Card Capacity - are manufacturers deceiving you?

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > []
    >
    >>The right click and properties was the source of my information, rounded
    >>for simple typing.
    >>nn

    > So do you think the difference in capacity between Lexar SD/Lexar CF and
    > SanDisk SD is a deliberate deception or what?
    >
    > I can imagine two differnt firms using two standards (128,000,000 and 128
    > * 1024 * 1024) bytes, but what about the two Lexars? Should they be more
    > correctly described as 127MB and 128MB? Is the customer being deceived?
    > Should the real capacity be used when comparing prices?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Hard to say. It could be that Sandisk uses a lot of bytes as a way to
    reassign addresses that tested bad, much like a disk drive reassigns
    sectors for bad ones. It so, the quality of the Sandisk cards may be in
    question.
    I don't suppose there is any way to tell for sure, but will buy Lexar in
    the future.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 6, 2004