    and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..

    ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    or you agree to the new T/C
    Torrential, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Torrential

    Jimi Guest

    Yep, I'm out at the end of the week

    Jimi, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Torrential

    MarkH Guest

    Torrential <> wrote in

    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    Which ISP is the best to change to?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Torrential

    Vista Guest

    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    They are pretty much the same plans that xtra offers aren't they? Aren't
    they just reselling xtra, so the quality of the connection should be
    identical? Who do you switch to?
    Vista, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Torrential

    Guest

    I've just signed up with Slingshot today. I looked at Ihug but
    additional data costs $5/gb whereas it's $10 for 10gb (and cheaper the
    more you buy) with Slingshot.

    I did sign up with one of the new Orcon plans last week, so I don't
    know what effect that will have in getting disconnected - I hope they
    don't charge me some ridiculous fee....
    , Apr 11, 2006
  6. Torrential

    Torrential Guest

    On 10 Apr 2006 21:10:13 -0700, wrote:

    >I've just signed up with Slingshot today. I looked at Ihug but
    >additional data costs $5/gb whereas it's $10 for 10gb (and cheaper the
    >more you buy) with Slingshot.
    >
    >I did sign up with one of the new Orcon plans last week, so I don't
    >know what effect that will have in getting disconnected - I hope they
    >don't charge me some ridiculous fee....

    TAKE 30G as the benchmark

    Orcon new plan 2M/128

    4 G free + $50 (25G @$5) = $50 + $39.95 (with toll )= $89.95

    Ihug new plan 3.5M/128 medium

    10G+20G(off peak) +$59.95 free upload and throttle to 64k/s reach either of
    your data allowances

    Slinghshot 2M/128

    10G/$10

    free 5G@$39.95 30G = $30 = $69.95

    (old Orcon plan free 1 G @10G/$10)
    Torrential, Apr 11, 2006
  7. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:56:40 +1200, Torrential wrote:

    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    Left them months ago to IHUG..
    They have gone to the dogs......
    wogers nemesis, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Torrential

    Phillip Guest

    Not yet but ...

    When I looked at slingshot a short time ago they didn't have these plans
    listed.

    Hopefully it's a sign of where the market is going pricing wise for
    bandwidth. Remember iHug plans don't count upload usage.

    Interesting...

    BTW Slingshot includes the tolls discount in their advertised prices. Do
    they have a minimum monthly tolls charge? Someone in the group talked about
    it once, dialup I think.

    For what I want & saw at the time Orcon plans were released they are
    reasonable but if cheaper data usage comes along :) ...

    Phillip, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Torrential

    Steve Guest

    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    I'd like to ditch Orcon, but I'm not sure of the costs involved. Off hand,
    there will probably be a month paying two ISPs and some sort of switch over
    fee. I'm not on any sort of 12 month deal or anything.
    Can anyone enlighten me as too the costs involved?

    Cheers.
    Steve, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Torrential

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "Torrential" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >>
    >> moreover
    >> It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    >> and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >>
    >> ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    >> or you agree to the new T/C
    >>

    > I'd like to ditch Orcon, but I'm not sure of the costs involved. Off
    > hand, there will probably be a month paying two ISPs and some sort of
    > switch over fee. I'm not on any sort of 12 month deal or anything.
    > Can anyone enlighten me as too the costs involved?

    When I changed from OrCON a few months back it was painless. Actrix paid my
    churn fee in return for a 6-month contract. Also Actrix told me not to
    cancel with Orcon, let them do it, it works out better. It did. I didn't get
    double-charged, maybe for a day or two, either way it wasn't much, I managed
    it without undue hardship and I'm broke.

    I wish I'd done it months ago. With OrCON I was lucky to stay connected for
    10 hours at a stretch, with Actrix I've been constantly connected since 25th
    last month when I re-set my router.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Torrential

    Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > I'd like to ditch Orcon, but I'm not sure of the costs involved. Off hand,
    > there will probably be a month paying two ISPs and some sort of switch over
    > fee. I'm not on any sort of 12 month deal or anything.
    > Can anyone enlighten me as too the costs involved?

    I'll let you know. I signed up with Slingshot today (currently with
    Orcon) so it'll be interesting (read scary) to see what Orcon charge me
    in terms of disconnecting....
    , Apr 11, 2006
  12. Torrential

    Torrential Guest

    On 11 Apr 2006 03:20:34 -0700, wrote:

    >Steve wrote:

    >I'll let you know. I signed up with Slingshot today (currently with
    >Orcon) so it'll be interesting (read scary) to see what Orcon charge me
    >in terms of disconnecting....

    so you did get Slingshot to do the work on disconnecting?
    Torrential, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Torrential

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:56:40 +1200, Torrential wrote:

    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    Yes, I have had a gutfull. These new double price plans are the final
    straw. Fucking rip off.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #8814 +(5882)- [X]

    <Night-hen-gayle> I gotta go. There's a dude next to me and he's watching
    me type,
    which is sort of starting to creep me out. Yes dude next to me, I mean
    you.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/04/2006 9:56:41 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 11, 2006
  14. Torrential wrote:
    > Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >
    > moreover
    > It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    > and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >
    > ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    > or you agree to the new T/C

    My Orcon account will not continue in to the next billing cycle. I have
    not yet determined which ISP I will be changing to, or even if I will be
    continuing with ADSL. None of the deals are really that good.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Torrential

    MarkH Guest

    Torrential <> wrote in

    > On 10 Apr 2006 21:10:13 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>I've just signed up with Slingshot today. I looked at Ihug but
    >>additional data costs $5/gb whereas it's $10 for 10gb (and cheaper the
    >>more you buy) with Slingshot.
    >>
    >>I did sign up with one of the new Orcon plans last week, so I don't
    >>know what effect that will have in getting disconnected - I hope they
    >>don't charge me some ridiculous fee....

    > TAKE 30G as the benchmark
    >
    > Orcon new plan 2M/128
    >
    > 4 G free + $50 (25G @$5) = $50 + $39.95 (with toll )= $89.95
    >
    > Ihug new plan 3.5M/128 medium
    >
    > 10G+20G(off peak) +$59.95 free upload and throttle to 64k/s reach
    > either of your data allowances

    And if you then decided that you actually need 45GB? Or 60GB or 80GB?

    What if you need 20GB during peak times?

    > Slinghshot 2M/128
    >
    > 10G/$10
    >
    > free 5G@$39.95 30G = $30 = $69.95

    So Slingshot is $10 dearer? But you can use the 30GB whenever it suits
    you, you don't have to use 2/3 of it during the 1/3 of the day defined
    as off-peak. And if you need 10GB more? Actually you can pay $20 more
    to Ihug and get 20GB peak + 40GB offpeak - which is not too bad compared
    to most of the others.

    The real problem with Ihug is when you want 80GB/month or more than 20GB
    during peak times (peak is a massive 2/3 of the day). You can't pay for
    more data on the 3.5/128 plans, so you have to move up to the 3.5/512
    plans where Ihug are good enough to give you the choice of rate limiting
    or paying more. But they charge $100 for an extra 20GB, so suddenly
    Slingshot looks pretty damn cheap. Even Orcon can easily beat that.

    For Ihug/Orcon/Slingshot with high usage:

    80GB/Month - $200/$190/$140

    100GB/Month - $300/$200/$160 (even better at Slingshot you can have
    110GB for $160)

    200GB/Month - $800/$300/$240 (Slingshot gives 210GB at $240)

    So yes, if 30GB/month is enough and if you can use 2/3 of it off peak
    then Ihug is indeed cheaper. But if your usage is more than 60GB then
    there are significant savings available with Orcon and even more with
    Slingshot or Worldnet.

    Over the next 2 or 3 months I would be very interested in how the
    Slingshot customers are finding their service on the 3.5/512 plans (the
    only true broadband in both directions available through UBS).
    Slingshot is offering to limit your speed once you hit the cap OR you
    can choose to purchase more GBs, and the extra data is available for as
    little as 80c per GB (if purchasing 50GB for $40). Their offer of a
    choice + their reasonable pricing + no restrictions on when you use the
    internet - makes them the best value that I have seen here in NZ.

    If the performance of Slingshot's top plan is good then I will be
    looking to change to them!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 11, 2006
  16. Torrential

    Torrential Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:59:15 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >If the performance of Slingshot's top plan is good then I will be
    >looking to change to them!

    hit it on the nail!

    Slingshot users throw in some light here ?
    Torrential, Apr 12, 2006
  17. Torrential

    Mutlley Guest

    Torrential <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:59:15 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >

    >>If the performance of Slingshot's top plan is good then I will be
    >>looking to change to them!

    >hit it on the nail!
    >
    >Slingshot users throw in some light here ?

    Slingshot Broadband
    ULTRA 10GB $79.95*

    For Slingshot direct dial tolls customers*

    Download Speed: 3.5Mbps maximum

    Upload Speed: 512Kbps maximum

    Hardly cheap. This from their web site today.. Add $10 to this if you
    don't want their toll service..

    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=20
    Mutlley, Apr 12, 2006
  18. Torrential

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:59:15 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > For Ihug/Orcon/Slingshot with high usage:
    >
    > 80GB/Month - $200/$190/$140
    >
    > 100GB/Month - $300/$200/$160 (even better at Slingshot you can have
    > 110GB for $160)
    >
    > 200GB/Month - $800/$300/$240 (Slingshot gives 210GB at $240)

    You forget to mention IHUG do not count uploads. If you are doing something
    like bit torrent, that can add up all on it's own.

    Still, slignshot looks pretty good - IF *IF* they actually have decent
    throughput and are otherwise a quality provider. Which some have cast
    doubts on...

    Still: Orcon have gone to the dogs. literally months of incompetent
    management and now a virtual doubling of prices ? What the **** planet are
    they on ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #291262 +(3996)- [X]

    <Mendo> lmao there's a wicked lookign spider on my monitor and if i move
    the mouse around he chases after it
    <spitfire> haha mendo
    <spitfire> take a screen shot
    <spitfire> wait
    <spitfire> that made no sense

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/04/2006 11:20:09 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 12, 2006
  19. Torrential

    MarkH Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > Torrential <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:59:15 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>If the performance of Slingshot's top plan is good then I will be
    >>>looking to change to them!

    >>hit it on the nail!
    >>
    >>Slingshot users throw in some light here ?

    > Slingshot Broadband
    > ULTRA 10GB $79.95*
    >
    > For Slingshot direct dial tolls customers*
    >
    > Download Speed: 3.5Mbps maximum
    >
    > Upload Speed: 512Kbps maximum
    >
    > Hardly cheap. This from their web site today.. Add $10 to this if you
    > don't want their toll service..
    >
    > http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&su
    > bnav=20

    We all know the stated speeds are 3.5Mbit down and 512MBit up, but the
    question is "how fast do you actually get?" - to answer this we need to
    have feedback from Slingshot users on the 3.5/512 with info on what the
    typical download and upload speeds are. 20KB/s throughout most of the day
    would be pathetic, 200KB/s during peak time and up to 430KB/s over night
    and earlier in the day would be pretty decent.

    Slingshot are the cheapest in NZ for high data users. On top of the $79.95
    you can buy another 50GB of data for $40, then you can buy another 50GB for
    $40. For 110GB in a month you would pay about $160 - which companies are
    offering better than that? But if you get twice the performance from Orcon
    at $200 for 100GB then it may not be worth it to change to Slingshot.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Apr 12, 2006
  20. Torrential

    Steve Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:
    >> "Torrential" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Orcon is getting worse this day..
    >>>
    >>> moreover
    >>> It suck in many new users with the 10G/$10
    >>> and now with 5G/$10 ..which breach the T/C for what you sign in..
    >>>
    >>> ditch Orcon before the new 4 G free option..
    >>> or you agree to the new T/C
    >>>

    >> I'd like to ditch Orcon, but I'm not sure of the costs involved. Off
    >> hand, there will probably be a month paying two ISPs and some sort of
    >> switch over fee. I'm not on any sort of 12 month deal or anything.
    >> Can anyone enlighten me as too the costs involved?

    > When I changed from OrCON a few months back it was painless. Actrix paid
    > my churn fee in return for a 6-month contract. Also Actrix told me not to
    > cancel with Orcon, let them do it, it works out better. It did. I didn't
    > get double-charged, maybe for a day or two, either way it wasn't much, I
    > managed it without undue hardship and I'm broke.
    >
    > I wish I'd done it months ago. With OrCON I was lucky to stay connected
    > for 10 hours at a stretch, with Actrix I've been constantly connected
    > since 25th last month when I re-set my router.
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    Cheers. Hopefully someone who has switched to Ihug recently can let me know
    if it was as painless for them as well.
    Steve, Apr 12, 2006