    .

    Thanks,

    Greg

    Greg, May 4, 2005

  2. Greg

    Nick Guest

    I dont quite understand: Wired and wireless? Using what equipment?

    "Which technology" you ask; but for what? the wired?

    Nick, May 4, 2005

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I'm asking how many companies are using some (any) form of 802.1x
    authentication on either wired, wireless, or both and if so how when
    and why:)

    In other words, generally what are you all doing, and to what scale?

    My implementation is on both wired (Cisco switches, XP clients, guest
    VLANs, MS Radius, MS PKI) and wireless (Cisco 1100s, MS Radius, MS PKI)
    on a global scale with ~150 office locations. The idea being no port
    anywhere that isn't authenticated with 802.1x, or MAC address unless in
    a secure facility such as our data center.

    How many others are doing something of a similar scale? If not, what
    are you doing? Why?

    Thanks!

    Greg

    Greg, May 5, 2005
  4. Greg

    Guest

    Greg,
    I work for a large southeastern US school district with over 100
    sites and 60K students & staff. We are in the process of putting in
    802.1x for both wired & wireless to keep down on students & staff from
    getting unauthorized access on the network. We are a mainly Cisco shop
    (Cat 4500, 3500XL, 2950 switches & 350/1200 aps). In our industry there
    is a big push to supply the students laptops and allow our mobile
    teachers & other personnel access. Those that authenticate get put on
    thier correct VLAN, those that don't or machines don't pass NAC get put
    to a guest/remediation VLAN that is severly limited. We're working out
    the kinks, but like it so far.
    Hope this helps with what you're looking for.

    Noel

    , May 5, 2005
  5. We have a 802.11i based wireless access security implementation of about 100
    APs. Most issues are client/equipment/Radius configuration and
    compatibility related. Go with vendors that fully support and comply with
    the 802.11i standard.

    news.sbcglobal.net, May 6, 2005
  6. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Thanks everyone, exactly what I was looking for. Noel, any chance
    you'll tell me which school district? Know of any other doing similar
    things?

    I think we're wondering how prevalent the use of this technology is.

    Thanks again,

    Greg

    Greg, May 6, 2005