How many of you running XP x64 would like to get the upgrade price to Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wayne Wastier, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. I for one am counting on this. How about you?

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 9, 2006

  2. I expect it. Time alone will tell. It's WAY too early to know pricing or how
    it will be handled.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2006

  3. With all due respect to Charlie's expectations, no upgrade from x64 to
    Vista64 is planned. The bits are already in place in Vista beta 2 for
    upgrading XP x86 and W2k SP4 but nothing is there for x64. It would have to
    be by now if it is going to be available. We all hope for a change but it
    looks very late in the dev process.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Wayne Wastier

    John Barnes Guest

    Charlie is talking about being able to purchase an 'upgrade' version and
    doing a clean install. Does not require any 'bits'. At the usual $100
    difference in price, I agree with Charlie that they will probably not want
    to antagonize one of their most loyal groups by not offering an upgrade
    version.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  5. That should work. Unfortunately no Beta 2 Upgrade sku's have been released
    to beta testers to see how that will work. The only beta bits currently
    downloadable are full editions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Colin -
    I'm certain that there won't be an "upgrade" version that does an in
    place upgrade, as there will be for x86. But I expect to see some sort of
    upgrade pricing for current x64 Edition owners. It will be a fresh install,
    however.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2006
  7. The question will be whether or not the installer accepts Win9x/ME cd's in
    addition to W2k and XP cd's. Hopefully. Folks with restore cd's only will
    have to scramble. We should all probably differentiate between "moving up"
    and "upgrading" in our terminology. Any suggestions?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Wayne Wastier

    John Barnes Guest

    'moving up' sounds fine to me. As Charlie has pointed out before, probably
    only x64 would be eligible for 'moving up' to Vista64, so any upgrades
    (whether 'upgrades' or clean installs) from the 32 bit systems mentioned
    would have to be to Vista86. My Compaq restore cd from Win98 days had the
    Win .cab files on them which I extracted to a CD and used to upgrade (clean
    install) to ME.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Wayne Wastier

    Buzz Guest

    Buzz, Jun 10, 2006
  10. Not necessarily. In Move-UP mode you should be able to provide an x86 cd
    even though you are running the Vista x64 installer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  11. Wayne Wastier

    John Barnes Guest

    May happen. Sure would be a good way to get a larger installed Vista64
    base. We'll have to see what they decide when they bring things together
    later this year.
    If they don't do an adviser for the 64bit version, I don't think they will
    want the support calls they would get from the retail customers.

    John Barnes, Jun 10, 2006
  12. 95% of Vista x86 and x64 will come preinstalled on new computers. That's
    the percentage of XP installations now.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Wayne Wastier

    hught1956 Guest

    I would certainly hope Microsoft offers x64 owners an upgrade price
    and would definately be interested in that One of the reasons I
    bought an x64 capable pc was to be ready when the new OS hits the
    market I am however quite happy with windows xp pro x64 I am using
    it as my only OS on my one home pc No dual boot x64 does anything I
    want or need it to do. ht

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.1 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    hught1956, Jun 10, 2006
  14. Wayne Wastier

    Russell Guest

    I used the Technical Advancment Program (TAP) to go from XP Pro to XP x64
    (basically MS converted the license for free).
    I would really like to do the same again to Vista x64 (assuming that XP x64
    will basically be dead after Vista x64 is RTM).
    Here's hoping ... :)

    Russell, Jun 10, 2006
  15. Wayne Wastier

    John Barnes Guest

    You can bet the farm that won't happen.
    Hope for a lower priced 'moving up' version.

    John Barnes, Jun 10, 2006