    I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
    but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
    last one from about $700 to $1200.
    RichA, Apr 26, 2011

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/26/2011 3:13 PM, RichA wrote:
    > I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
    > but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
    > last one from about $700 to $1200.

    Don't buy one.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 27, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    I shot with the very first one years ago, and it was a very nice lens. Very sharp up to 90mm, and very good after that. No IS though, but I really liked that lens.

    Bowser, Apr 27, 2011
  4. "RichA" <> wrote:

    > I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
    > but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
    > last one from about $700 to $1200.

    It's good to see that in this Internet backwater, the standards of
    accuracy and research remain at their historical levels. I
    haven't been able to find more than three versions released
    publicly, but I look forward to learning about the other versions
    you know about.

    As for "never well-regarded," that's pretty much true, especially
    among people who never tried one. You may hear a different story
    from a real photojournalist, tourist, or other photographer who
    realizes a) the MTF and SQF of a missed shot are exactly zero,
    and b) you shouldn't try to pretend a Swiss Army Knife is the
    same thing as a K-Bar Army Knife.

    All lenses are engineering compromises, and cost plays a part in
    almost all of the tradeoffs. The f/3.5~5.6 versions traded off
    some optical quality for savings in size, weight, and yes, cost.
    The newer f/4 version chooses different tradeoffs at a different
    price.

    --
    Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
    Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
    Michael Benveniste, Apr 27, 2011
  5. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Apr 27, 9:25 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote:
    > > I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit.  Never well-regarded,
    > > but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
    > > last one from about $700 to $1200.

    > It's good to see that in this Internet backwater, the standards of
    > accuracy and research remain at their historical levels.  I
    > haven't been able to find more than three versions released
    > publicly, but I look forward to learning about the other versions
    > you know about.
    >
    > As for "never well-regarded," that's pretty much true, especially
    > among people who never tried one.  You may hear a different story
    > from a real photojournalist, tourist, or other photographer who
    > realizes a) the MTF and SQF of a missed shot are exactly zero,
    > and b) you shouldn't try to pretend a Swiss Army Knife is the
    > same thing as a K-Bar Army Knife.

    I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.
    Rich, Apr 27, 2011
  6. On 4/27/2011 9:30 AM, Rich wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 9:25 am, "Michael Benveniste"<> wrote:
    >> "RichA"<> wrote:
    >>> I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
    >>> but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
    >>> last one from about $700 to $1200.

    > I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.

    REALLY?

    How well does the 16-85 work at 105mm?? Do a direct comparison.

    I own Canon, not Nikon, but I own a Canon 24-105 f/4L lens.
    Its a good lens, but at the top of its range the much cheaper
    70-300 I own is much better. Over some of its range the
    extremely cheap (as in flimsy and low cost) 17-55 kit lens
    is equally good (but lacks IS). This in on crop frame.

    But neither 70-300 nor 17-55 is a good general lens.
    The 24-105 is.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Apr 27, 2011
  7. "Rich" <> wrote:

    > I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.

    Please feel free to post comparison shots along with the
    reference to those other "special" versions of the 24-120mm
    I've never heard of.

    I'll wait with baited breath, assuming, of course, that I
    have sashimi for dinner.

    Michael Benveniste, Apr 27, 2011
  8. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Apr 27, 11:34 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote:
    > > I tried one on the D300.  The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.

    > Please feel free to post comparison shots along with the
    > reference to those other "special" versions of the 24-120mm
    > I've never heard of.

    "Special?" In what sense? They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
    across the board.
    Rich, Apr 27, 2011
  9. "Rich" <> wrote:

    > "Special?" In what sense? They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
    > across the board.

    The non-VR ED version would be "special," because if it ever
    existed it was never released publicly. Nor is it listed in
    the Archive section of the Nikon Imaging website.

    I eagerly await your evidence of same as well as your
    comparison photos.

    Michael Benveniste, Apr 27, 2011
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/27/2011 3:31 PM, Michael Benveniste wrote:
    > "Rich"<> wrote:
    >
    >> "Special?" In what sense? They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
    >> across the board.

    > The non-VR ED version would be "special," because if it ever
    > existed it was never released publicly. Nor is it listed in
    > the Archive section of the Nikon Imaging website.
    >
    > I eagerly await your evidence of same as well as your
    > comparison photos.

    My bated breath wait will smell baited, long before that happens.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 27, 2011
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 27, 3:31 pm, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote:
    > > "Special?"  In what sense?  They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
    > > across the board.

    > The non-VR ED version would be "special," because if it ever
    > existed it was never released publicly.  Nor is it listed in
    > the Archive section of the Nikon Imaging website.
    >
    > I eagerly await your evidence of same as well as your
    > comparison photos.

    Keep waiting. The last time I proved a point doing that (the DOF
    test), the naysayers ran back under the rocks without a word.
    RichA, Apr 28, 2011
  12. "RichA" <> wrote:

    > Keep waiting. The last time I proved a point doing that (the DOF
    > test), the naysayers ran back under the rocks without a word.

    I'm shocked, simply shocked. Please feel free to emulate your
    naysayers.

    Michael Benveniste, Apr 28, 2011
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 28, 1:29 am, "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote:
    > > Keep waiting.  The last time I proved a point doing that (the DOF
    > > test), the naysayers ran back under the rocks without a word.

    > I'm shocked, simply shocked.  Please feel free to emulate your
    > naysayers.

    I'm not sure what it is that you want to see. I have access
    (currently) to the D and the VR ED version, but not the f4.0 version.
    However, on Photozone.de, it got a lukewarm review, which for $1200 is
    pretty sad. The 16-85mm is a much better lens (for DX) is half the
    price and you only lose 1 f-stop on the long end and you gain a
    partial f-stop on the short end. Given the high ISO capability today,
    I can only see FX'rs short on cash buying that lens, but no one else.
    RichA, Apr 28, 2011
  14. On 4/28/2011 4:54 PM, RichA wrote:

    > I'm not sure what it is that you want to see. I have access
    > (currently) to the D and the VR ED version, but not the f4.0 version.

    That makes three. You claimed there were four versions. I want
    to see evidence of the non-VR ED version you claimed existed. Or is it
    simply a matter that you lose count once you get past two?

    You also claimed "I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor
    with it," which out saying which version "one" or "it" was. I asked
    for _your_ comparison, not a "pick-and-choose" rehash of some other
    source of your choosing. I wanted to see how you managed to do an
    "apples-to-apples" comparison of lenses which covered both different
    focal lengths and image circles.

    Doug asked you for the same thing. What was (and is) so hard to
    understand about that?

    --
    Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
    You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing
    Mike Benveniste, Apr 29, 2011