How many mp's to match resolution of 4x5 neg film cam?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger N Clark change user, May 6, 2005.

    writes:
    >>So this price/performance consideration
    >>should move in the direction of smaller pixels. If/when the price of
    >>extra processing power is close to 0, even small benefits from the
    >>added information will make smaller pixels preferable.

    > Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
    > inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
    > and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,
    A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
    the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
    versus large pixels when made from the same technology
    (e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
    more photons simply because they have a larger area.
    Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
    rain drops than a small bucket.

    Roger

    Roger N Clark change user, May 6, 2005

  2. rec.photo.digital writes:

    >> Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
    >> inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
    >> and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.

    >Dave,
    >A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
    >the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
    >versus large pixels when made from the same technology
    >(e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
    >more photons simply because they have a larger area.
    >Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
    >rain drops than a small bucket.

    Yeah, I was being sloppy. What I was really talking about is
    "sensitivity at constant S/N", not "sensitivity at X% of full well".
    Sensors with larger pixels can be used under consitions of lower
    exposure and still obtain a usable image.

    There ought to be two proper, separate, clear names for these two
    concepts.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 7, 2005

  3. Dave Martindale wrote:

    > rec.photo.digital writes:
    >

    >>>Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
    >>>inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
    >>>and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.

    >>Dave,
    >>A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
    >>the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
    >>versus large pixels when made from the same technology
    >>(e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
    >>more photons simply because they have a larger area.
    >>Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
    >>rain drops than a small bucket.

    > Yeah, I was being sloppy. What I was really talking about is
    > "sensitivity at constant S/N", not "sensitivity at X% of full well".
    > Sensors with larger pixels can be used under consitions of lower
    > exposure and still obtain a usable image.
    >
    > There ought to be two proper, separate, clear names for these two
    > concepts.
    >
    > Dave

    Yes, I agree.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 7, 2005