    Is there first of all, a free program that will allow me to record speech
    (not music) on my hard drive. Second, how many hours of speaking can
    you record on a regular dvd-r? Does not need to be high quality. tx
    lbbss, Sep 14, 2004

  2. lbbss

    Jamco Guest

    around 4.8 gigs worth
    doesn't windows come with a sound recorder?

    Jamco, Sep 14, 2004

  3. "Jamco" <> wrote in message
    > around 4.8 gigs worth
    > doesn't windows come with a sound recorder?
    >
    > "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there first of all, a free program that will allow me to record speech
    >> (not music) on my hard drive. Second, how many hours of speaking can
    >> you record on a regular dvd-r? Does not need to be high quality. tx

    I suppose it would also depend on what bitrate/quality you're looking for,
    and what format (wav/mp3) you prefer.
    mentalguy2004, Sep 14, 2004
  4. lbbss

    Joseph Guest

    it is very possible to have several hundred hours of low quality speech.....

    Joseph, Sep 14, 2004
  5. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    what kind of software would I use to control the quality of recording.
    lbbss, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Thorkild Dalsgaard, Sep 14, 2004
  7. lbbss

    Gee Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > Is there first of all, a free program that will allow me to record speech
    > (not music) on my hard drive. Second, how many hours of speaking can
    > you record on a regular dvd-r? Does not need to be high quality. tx

    OK I got a 90 min audio MP3 file at 64kbps quality that is only 42Mb.

    In comparasment, most of my audio tapes are backed up at 224Kbps and that
    works out at around 75Mb per 45minutes tape side so 150Mb for 90 min. Or
    105Mb for 90min on 160Mbps.

    So where is my calc: judging by the above file, that works out about 35 hrs
    in 1Gb or about 168 hrs on 4.8Gb, if you save them at 64kbps.

    Of course, you can always choose a smaller quality, but probably lowest I'd
    go is 32Kbps. Can;t remember why, but someone recommended that to me.

    As for the programs, if a program can record audio, it doesn;t matter what
    kind of audio it is music or speech. I personally use "Audio Record Wizard"
    3, which is not free, but is very cheap, small and simple 2 use program,
    just search for it on Google,and you'll find the pricing etc. The good thing
    about this one is that it can record straight to MP3 file with the quality
    of your choice(starting from 32kbps). MP3 files are much smaller then wav
    files, and also there is no need for a second program which will need to
    convert wav to mp3. Plus with it you can record from many other sources(mic,
    line in, aux,CD, Phone etc)

    There should be some free programs available, I may be wrong but EAC is
    free(and good) but don;t know if it can save files as MP3. Also check
    Gee, Sep 14, 2004
  8. lbbss

    Jamco Guest

    great advice, but unfortunately the OP doesn't have time to google...

    Jamco, Sep 14, 2004
  9. lbbss

    nKs Guest

    eh, when you record to tape, the bitrate settings changed....

    nKs, Sep 15, 2004
  10. lbbss

    Gee Guest

    "nKs" <> wrote in message
    > eh, when you record to tape, the bitrate settings changed....

    TO tape??? I meant I backed up tape TO MP3, not othe other way round.

    Unless you were kidding of course :)
    Gee, Sep 15, 2004
  11. lbbss

    Gee Guest

    "Jamco" <> wrote in message
    > great advice, but unfortunately the OP doesn't have time to google...

    :)
    Gee, Sep 15, 2004
  12. lbbss

    Ace Guest

    Audio file rules of thumb:

    CD Quality (44.1k sampling 16 bit stereo) is ten megs a minute.

    128k MP3 is one meg a minute.

    If you're only documenting voice, and don't need great recordings, and want
    absolute max, you could go down to 8k mono with MP3s or many other formats.
    That's 16 minutes per meg.

    So if your DVD is 4.8 gigs as another poster suggests, that's:

    8 hours of CD quality uncompressed audio,
    80 hours of 128k MP3s or other compressed audio,
    1280 hours of 8k compressed audio.
    Ace, Sep 15, 2004
  13. lbbss

    LiGhTnInG Guest

    > "Jamco" <> wrote in message
    > > around 4.8 gigs worth
    > > doesn't windows come with a sound recorder?
    > >
    > > "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > >> Is there first of all, a free program that will allow me to record

    speech
    > >> (not music) on my hard drive. Second, how many hours of speaking

    can
    > >> you record on a regular dvd-r? Does not need to be high quality. tx
    > >>

    > I suppose it would also depend on what bitrate/quality you're looking for,
    > and what format (wav/mp3) you prefer.

    agree with the above poster....the question was a bit like 'how long is a
    piece of string'????

    Obviously if you set the quality to it's lowest setting, you would be able
    to record more, but you need to do the math to find out ie if you record at
    12kbps, then every second you are recording 12kilobytes of sound.

    get where i am going????
    LiGhTnInG, Sep 23, 2004