    Just curious if anyone here uses only ONE PC....... but
    uses VMWare as the "test lab"?

    , Sep 15, 2003

  2. I'm currently setting myself up (in oh, so many ways) to do that. I've got
    3 PC's (1 desktop, 1 server, 1 laptop), but I'm starting to experiment
    reformatting the server to be a desktop with VPC to "play" the servers. So
    far it looks promising.

    My main reason to do this is that I also do video editing, and the server
    was the biggest puppy horsepower-wise. But the software and DVD-burners
    were put off by the server OS, and preferred XP much more. There's
    obviously a lot more flexitilbity as well.

    --
    RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE, MCT

    http://www.rlcoppedge.com/

    RL Coppedge, MCSE, Sep 15, 2003

  3. billyw Guest

    i use vmware quite a lot for lab and for pre-staging

    billyw, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Guest

    >i use vmware quite a lot for lab and for pre-staging

    Could one successfully use ONLY VMWare and only ONE PC
    to training and setup a test lab for getting an MCSE
    cert?

    Example.... I currently have a Dell 350 Precision
    workstation with 1 gig of ram and 2.8ghz Pent 4 and 40
    gig hard drive.

    Could I buy and install VMWare and do all the
    "training" I need using only this combo of VMWare and a
    single PC?

    , Sep 15, 2003
  5. Marko Guest

    >Could I buy and install VMWare and do all the
    >"training" I need using only this combo of VMWare and a
    >single PC?
    >.

    My opinion: Yes you could BUT no you wouldn't want to.

    Marko, Sep 16, 2003
  6. circa Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:54:17 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, (john63401
    @yahoo.com) said,
    > Just curious if anyone here uses only ONE PC....... but
    > uses VMWare as the "test lab"?

    I just pared down from 21 to 17 servers, but I still use VMWare.

    Laura
    --
    The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
    pessimist fears it is true.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 16, 2003
  7. billyw Guest

    ah nothing like a bit of weight loss

    billyw, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Guest

    >>But would you be so kind as to explain why not?

    >Sure. Most people's minds can't work as well if they shut
    >their eyes and try to imagine what they were just looking
    >at on their computer screen.

    Thanks Marko!!

    That was a very informative opinion! Thanks.... and
    now I "see"

    , Sep 16, 2003
  9. circa Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:18:57 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, (john63401
    @yahoo.com) said,

    > >I just pared down from 21 to 17 servers, but I still use VMWare.
    > >
    > >Laura

    > What do YOU use VMWare for Laura?

    Fast testing of different configurations; changing machines to test
    stuff without having to go through and undo it afterwards; on-the-
    road testing of stuff when I can't bring my servers with me. :)

    Laura
    --
    One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
    making exciting discoveries.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 16, 2003