    cool the CPU?

    Thanks,

    , Mar 24, 2008

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    >Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    >cool the CPU?

    100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.

    I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...

    I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C
    --

    http://www.heyokay.com/nope/

    , Mar 24, 2008

  3. VanguardLH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    > cool the CPU?

    Using a heatsink versus not using one?

    Lapping the mating surface of the heatsink versus using the
    factory-supplied surface? Lapping the die casing, too?

    Active (fan) cooling versus passive (radiant) cooling?

    Size of heatsink? Material used for mating surface and material used
    for transfer to air?

    Air-cooled or water-cooled?

    The thermal transfer compound (heatsink paste) is used? Whether
    properly applied or gooped in excess which actually reduces heat
    transfer rate?

    Using thermal paste versus thermal pads?

    Well, ask a vague question and get a vague response.

    VanguardLH, Mar 24, 2008
  4. Rôgêr Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    >> cool the CPU?

    > 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
    >
    > I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
    >
    > I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    > the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C

    Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in
    efficiency, which is supposing that the temperature figures are somehow
    based in rock-solid standards and are not capricious. How about we just
    say that the CPU go BOOM with no heat-sink/cooling fan.

    Rôgêr, Mar 24, 2008
  5. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:20:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    >Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    >cool the CPU?

    Between 0% and 100%.

    >Thanks,

    You might want to provide more information.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Mar 24, 2008
  6. Buffalo Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    > cool the CPU?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Different heatsinks can keep your cpu much cooler. How much depends on a lot
    of things as others have mentioned.
    If you present cpu is running too hot, a better heatsink/fan combo can bring
    it back down to reasonable limits (many times just a good cleaning can do
    wonders).
    Course you could go to a liquid cooled system etc to really run it cool
    (very useful with high overclocking).
    Perhaps if you could explain why you need to know, more help could be
    offered.
    PS: Without a heatsink, some cpus would only last less than 10sec, some way
    less.

    Buffalo, Mar 24, 2008
  7. Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >> I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    >> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C

    >Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in
    >efficiency, which is supposing that the temperature figures are somehow
    >based in rock-solid standards and are not capricious.

    Temps by Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

    I used to do nuclear physic problems, I could equate the possibility
    of a pile going critical, now I just skip the math, let others do it
    if they wish.
    --

    http://www.heyokay.com/nope/

    , Mar 24, 2008
  8. olfart Guest

    > I used to do nuclear physic problems, I could equate the possibility
    > of a pile going critical, now I just skip the math, let others do it
    > if they wish.
    > --

    if your piles get too critical...there's always Preparation H

    olfart, Mar 24, 2008
  9. rf Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear all,
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
    >>> cool the CPU?

    >> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
    >>
    >> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
    >>
    >> I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    >> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C

    > Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in efficiency,

    Rubbish.

    Your "math" relies entirely on the scale the temperature is based on.

    Assuming degrees celsius you do indeed end up with 21% or so.

    Convert the temperatures to farenheight however: 145.4 to 122 gives just
    over 15%.

    In degrees Kelvin, 336.15 to 323.15: 0.038673211%, almost zero improvement
    :)

    The common sense is: the designers put that heat sink there for a reason.
    Remove it at you own peril.

    The real question is: why would the OP even ask? Does it matter? Would you
    remove the "radiator" from your car, just to see what happened?

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Mar 25, 2008
  10. Rôgêr Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
    >>>
    >>> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
    >>>
    >>> I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    >>> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C

    >> Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in efficiency,

    > Rubbish.
    >
    > Your "math" relies entirely on the scale the temperature is based on.
    >
    > Assuming degrees celsius you do indeed end up with 21% or so.
    >
    > Convert the temperatures to farenheight however: 145.4 to 122 gives just
    > over 15%.
    >
    > In degrees Kelvin, 336.15 to 323.15: 0.038673211%, almost zero improvement
    > :)
    >
    > The common sense is: the designers put that heat sink there for a reason.
    > Remove it at you own peril.
    >
    > The real question is: why would the OP even ask? Does it matter? Would you
    > remove the "radiator" from your car, just to see what happened?

    You seemed to have snipped the part where I addressed these issues.
    Doesn't matter anyhow.

    Rôgêr, Mar 25, 2008
  11. Mitch Guest

    In article <fQ4Gj.2551$>, rf
    <> wrote:

    > >> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
    > >>
    > >> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
    > >>
    > >> I was running 63°C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
    > >> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50°C

    > > Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in efficiency,

    > Rubbish.
    >
    > Your "math" relies entirely on the scale the temperature is based on.
    >
    > Assuming degrees celsius you do indeed end up with 21% or so.
    >
    > Convert the temperatures to farenheight however: 145.4 to 122 gives just
    > over 15%.
    >
    > In degrees Kelvin, 336.15 to 323.15: 0.038673211%, almost zero improvement
    > :)
    >
    > The common sense is: the designers put that heat sink there for a reason.
    > Remove it at you own peril.
    >
    > The real question is: why would the OP even ask? Does it matter? Would you
    > remove the "radiator" from your car, just to see what happened?

    Maybe he's trying to cool the interior of the machine by removing the
    large hot bit.

    Mitch, Mar 29, 2008