    literature does not make it clear.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Emrys Davies

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Emrys Davies said:

    > I have W98SE, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > I know that I can only put two hard drives on one IDE ribbon cable -
    > master and slave.
    >
    > If my other IDE ribbon cable (CD-Rom) was spare could I put two hard
    > drives on that in a similar manner.
    >
    > In short I am trying to learn for an exam. how many hard drives I can
    > place on an ordinary PC such as mine, forgetting a SCSI or EIDE. My
    > literature does not make it clear.

    The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection for a
    further 2 IDE drives.
    So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you wish.
    Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners, or even
    DVDs/DVD burners.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Emrys Davies

    ErmYouKnow Guest

    Yeah, you will be able to have two hard drives on your other cable. In
    total you'll have 4 drives in a standard PC.

    ErmYouKnow, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Thanks a lot gentlemen. That was very clear and very helpful to me.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Emrys Davies

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection for a
    > further 2 IDE drives.
    > So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you wish.
    > Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners, or even
    > DVDs/DVD burners.

    Aw crap.. Now where am I going to put my ZIP drive?

    yugsdrawkcab, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Emrys Davies

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:40:28 GMT, yugsdrawkcab <> wrote:

    >Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>

    >> The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection for a
    >> further 2 IDE drives.
    >> So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you wish.
    >> Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners, or even
    >> DVDs/DVD burners.
    >>

    >Aw crap.. Now where am I going to put my ZIP drive?

    In the trash or rather recycle bin, where else?
    joevan

    joevan, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Emrys Davies

    Brian H¹© Guest

    yugsdrawkcab said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>

    >> The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection for a
    >> further 2 IDE drives.
    >> So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you wish.
    >> Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners, or
    >> even DVDs/DVD burners.
    >>

    > Aw crap.. Now where am I going to put my ZIP drive?

    I suppose I should have added "or any other IDE drive", but I thought he might
    get the drift.
    ;-)
    But hey, you could always try to squeeze the connector into your floppy slot.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Emrys Davies

    Lee Davison Guest

    This is something ive been looking at. I have something called Raid on the
    motherboard which allows me to put an extra 2 ide cables on. In total I
    intend to have 4 Hdd, a cd rom and a cd burner. Ive not tried it yet because
    im waiting for a new hdd to arrive. Ive no idea if my RAM can take it or if
    the motherboard will but ill learn by trial unless someone knows something i
    dont (which is more than likely).
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Dec 29, 2003
  9. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:09:47 +0000 (UTC), Lee Davison wrote:

    >This is something ive been looking at. I have something called Raid on the

    What is RAID?
    http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/raid.html

    >motherboard which allows me to put an extra 2 ide cables on. In total I

    Some of these RAID controllers are only ATA 133 cables and drives. I
    also seem to recall they won't take optical devices as they are not
    ATA133.

    The most basic (and not really considered RAID) level 0 requires 2 disks
    for a stripe. If your RAID controller allows RAID/BASIC option then you
    select BASIC to add seperate disks.

    >intend to have 4 Hdd, a cd rom and a cd burner. Ive not tried it yet because
    >im waiting for a new hdd to arrive. Ive no idea if my RAM can take it or if

    RAM should not matter.

    >the motherboard will but ill learn by trial unless someone knows something i
    >dont (which is more than likely).

    It helps to mention the brand/model of your motherboard. Using the links
    above most basic RAID enabled motherboards are level 0 *or* 1 only and
    although you can connect 4 drives some only allow 1 RAIDed pair.

    Me

    why?, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Why not get a scsi adapter and get nine drives?
    Or:
    Ultra ATA-133 IDE Card with Raid and Two independent IDE/ATA channels. About
    £20 in U.K

    Mike.

    michael davis, Dec 30, 2003
  11. yugsdrawkcab wrote:

    >> The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection
    >> for a further 2 IDE drives.
    >> So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you
    >> wish.
    >> Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners,
    >> or even DVDs/DVD burners.
    >>

    > Aw crap.. Now where am I going to put my ZIP drive?

    If you're a massochist: On the Printer Port
    If you're a wirehead: On the SCSI port (like any good ZIP drive should be).

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>>The second IDE is not reserved for a CD-Rom, it is a second connection for a
    >>>further 2 IDE drives.
    >>>So...you can have 4 hard drives, or 1 hard drive and 3 CD-Roms if you wish.
    >>>Further... they don't even have to be CD-Roms, they can be CD burners, or
    >>>even DVDs/DVD burners.
    >>>

    >>Aw crap.. Now where am I going to put my ZIP drive?

    > I suppose I should have added "or any other IDE drive", but I thought he might
    > get the drift. ;-)
    > But hey, you could always try to squeeze the connector into your floppy slot.

    EEEWWW!!!!!!

    Nightmare flashbacks of doing iomega tech support for DITTO drives!

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:12:15 -0000, michael davis wrote:

    >Why not get a scsi adapter and get nine drives?

    Maybe the cost.

    Why stop at 9, LVD SCSI, 15 devices a channel.

    >Or:
    >Ultra ATA-133 IDE Card with Raid and Two independent IDE/ATA channels. About

    That's what most likely built into the mother board already.

    >£20 in U.K

    URL?

    Maybe Maplin
    A77AF , ATA/133 Host PCI GBP £29.99
    WF84F , Ultra ATA 133 PCI RAID GBP £19.99

    You forgot about a SATA card as well, they come in 2-4-8 port versions
    with basic to full RAID.

    > Mike.

    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:09:47 +0000 (UTC), Lee Davison wrote:
    >>
    >> >This is something ive been looking at. I have something called Raid on

    >the
    >>
    >> What is RAID?
    >> http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
    >> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/raid.html
    >>
    >> >motherboard which allows me to put an extra 2 ide cables on. In total I

    >> Some of these RAID controllers are only ATA 133 cables and drives. I

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 30, 2003
  14. Emrys Davies

    Lee Davison Guest

    I have a Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard. Below are the extracts from the manual.
    I don't know if this helps you tell me more about what I can connect and
    where?
    Thanks
    Lee

    On-Board RAID

    Onbard Promise PDC20276
    Supports data striping (RAID 0) or mirroring (RAID 1)
    Supports concurrent dual IDE controller operation
    Supports IDE bus master operation
    Displays status and error checking messages during boot-up
    Mirroring supports automatic background rebuilds
    Features LBA and Extended Interrupt 13 drive translation in controller
    onboard BIOS

    On-Board IDE

    2 IDE controllers provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM (IDE1, IDE2) with PIO, Bus Master
    (Ultra DMA33/ATA66/ATA100/ATA133) operation modes.
    IDE3* and IDE4* Compatible with RAID,Ultra ATA133/100

    Lee Davison, Dec 30, 2003
  15. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:59:15 +0000 (UTC), Lee Davison wrote:

    Check other posts as well, instead of starting off a new(ish) question
    tacked on the end of another thread.

    You already some answers to this in the other thread
    From: Lee Davison
    Subject: No cables for extra drive.
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Date: 2003-12-27 05:09:04 PST

    Also gigabyte, ATA133/RAID and cables mentioned.
    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Installing Third Hard Drive
    Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:52:22 GMT

    >I have a Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard. Below are the extracts from the manual.

    Two versions of the manual
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-7VAXP.htm
    English 1202 pdf 7.09 MB
    English 1102 pdf 5.74 MB 1. For PCB ver. 1.1

    >I don't know if this helps you tell me more about what I can connect and
    >where?

    One only has to read the manual, it's better than many.

    >Thanks
    >Lee
    >
    >On-Board RAID
    >
    >Onbard Promise PDC20276
    >Supports data striping (RAID 0) or mirroring (RAID 1)

    RAID 0 is not considered RAID by many, as there is no redundancy.
    RAID 1 needs 2 drives.

    <snip>

    >2 IDE controllers provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM (IDE1, IDE2) with PIO, Bus Master
    >(Ultra DMA33/ATA66/ATA100/ATA133) operation modes.

    Note CD/DVD type devices only on IDE1/2

    >IDE3* and IDE4* Compatible with RAID,Ultra ATA133/100

    Note ATA133/100 cables / drives on IDE 3/4

    That info, you pasted is duplicated on page 24 of the PDF of the (1102)
    manual.

    Which bit is giving you trouble?

    Me

    why?, Dec 30, 2003
  16. Emrys Davies

    Lee Davison Guest

    Im not a technical mind. Ive read the RAID review and im still not sure what
    it is. Frankly it doesnt matter what it is if it lets me add a couple more
    hard drives which is all im after. Theres 2 blank ports on the motherboard
    labelled raid. Can I get an IDE cable and install my new hdd into one of
    these? I would also like to get my cd rom back online.
    At the momont I have 3 hdd and a cd burner attached. I would like to get to
    the stage where I have 4 hdd, a cd burner and my cd rom back. Im not too
    concerned if i cant get the 4th hdd online, but id like the cdrom back so i
    can copy disc to disc.

    Regards
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Dec 30, 2003
  17. Try this.
    http://www.raidweb.com/whatis.html

    Adelphia groups, Dec 30, 2003
  18. Emrys Davies

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:56:44 +0000 (UTC), Lee Davison wrote:

    >Im not a technical mind. Ive read the RAID review and im still not sure what
    >it is. Frankly it doesnt matter what it is if it lets me add a couple more

    Ok, and it does matter.

    RAID 0 , stripe spreads the data / files etc across 2 physical disks. So
    if you had 2 x 20GB drives, a RAID 0 of 2 x 20Gb appears as 1 x 40GB.

    If one drive fails, all data is lost. This is becasue 1 file is written
    in chunks to both disks. Lose 1 disk and parts of the file vanishes.

    RAID 1 , mirror using 1 x 20 GB and 1 x 30GB ( not using 20 and 20 to
    show another point ) this looks like 50GB however it doesn't work that
    way. RAID 1 is a 'mirror' copy of the disk, as you can't mirror 30GB
    onto 20 the RAID is setup as 20GB. The next trick is you have 1 live
    disk and the mirror.

    So the upshot is you put in 50GB, created a 20GB mirror and that's it
    your 2 drives appear as 20GB only. You lost 10GB you can't use and 1
    drive of 20GB as it's the copy.

    The redundancy here is if 1 drive fails, all it should involve is taking
    the dud out, and replacing it if it's the mirrored destination. The
    controller will recreate the mirror.

    If it's the primary drive that failed you take out the primary and swap
    the drive jumpers around to make what was the slave disk the master. You
    then replace the other disk later.

    >hard drives which is all im after. Theres 2 blank ports on the motherboard
    >labelled raid. Can I get an IDE cable and install my new hdd into one of

    Your motherboard (see the manuals) let you set IDE3/4 to RAID or ATA. If
    you want to add drives without RAID , use the ATA setting, get the
    correct ATA133 cables and make sure your drives are ATA133 types.

    On the PDF version of the manual mentioned earlier.
    PDF page 43, printed page 37, see the settings for IDE3/4 and ATA
    setting in the BIOS.

    >these? I would also like to get my cd rom back online.
    >At the momont I have 3 hdd and a cd burner attached. I would like to get to
    >the stage where I have 4 hdd, a cd burner and my cd rom back. Im not too

    You have to check if the drive you want to move is ATA133 and you need
    to get an ATA133 cable. Then enable the IDE3/4 and connect the cable /
    hdd.

    >concerned if i cant get the 4th hdd online, but id like the cdrom back so i
    >can copy disc to disc.

    Basically that's it without actually doing it for you.

    Check you have enough power plugs free as well, if you don't you need a
    power splitter cable.

    Part codes below are from www.maplin.co.uk

    image - http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/10951i0.jpg
    part code DG43W , for 2 way.

    image - http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/32406i0.jpg
    part code A26AB, for 3 way.

    or maybe an extension if you have a free power plug and it's not long
    enough.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/32407i0.jpg
    part code - A27AB

    Me

    why?, Dec 30, 2003
  19. Emrys Davies

    cabinboy Guest

    I have a Gigabyte MB with Giga RAID that I could not get to work so I turn it
    into extra IDEs so now I have 4 HD for a total of 440 GB, a CD burner and a CD
    Rom.
    I recommend not to mix a CD and a HD on the same cable, they slow down
    considerably.
    Why so much storage you may ask? well it happend like this:
    I bought a new MB with RAID and the intention of connecting 2 HD, 160G each
    (they were on sale) RAID drives have to be the identical drives, same size and
    make.
    I had a 80G and a 40G.
    After many tries I just could not get the frigget GIGA RAID to work, the
    instructions were wrong and windows XP kept comming up with errors like "NTLDR
    error" etc.
    So, I gave up and decided to just install one 160G as master and the other 160G
    as slave but what to do with the 80G and the 40G? I ended up connecting those to
    the IDE3 connector so now I have 4 HD for a total of 440G and yet I still have
    another socket for another cable, IDE4, so I could install 2 more HDs. I won't
    do it but I could, for a total of 8 drives, 6 HD and 2 CD drives. Ever wonder
    when would you used more drive letters that A,B,C,D,E and F? now you know, my
    last letter is I, a memory stick connected to the USB.
    BIOS have to be set to alow the connectors for the RAID to be used as ATA.
    If you don't have a MB with extra IDEs you could always get a PCI controller and
    connect more HD like that.
    my $0.02
    Good luck and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

    Visit http://www.my-forums.com

    cabinboy, Dec 31, 2003
  20. Emrys Davies

    cabinboy Guest

    IN RAID 0 also called striping the data is written in chunks to both disks at
    the same time but not the same data, let's say that you have the disc
    partitioned in 4K clusters when you have a file let's say 40K then RAID 0 writes
    4k to one HD the next to the other until all 40K are split onto both drives.
    The advantage of this is that the data is writen in half the time, HDs are the
    only mechanical elements of a PC so they are the slowest link in data transfer.
    The disavantage of Stripping is that if you loose one HD you loose all the data
    although some may be recovered through the parity bit.
    In RAID 0, 2 HDs of 100G each gives you a total capacity of 200G

    RAID 1 is called mirror, the same data is written to both drives, speed is not
    increased but each drive has the same data so you loose one you still have the
    data. 2 HD of 100G each = 100G since both must hold the same amount of data.
    RAID 0+1 is a combination of both but you need 4 HD to do that.
    And JBOD RAID doesn't have the RAID function, it just combines all HDs to look
    as one big one.
    Good luck!

    Visit http://www.my-forums.com

    cabinboy, Dec 31, 2003