    use scan disk on them.
    I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    motherboard.

    mattcar, Jun 28, 2007

  2. mattcar

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:42:42 -0700, mattcar wrote:

    >How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    >six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.

    I wouldn't not on 500.

    Consider most PSUs have 1 x floppy, 4 x 5.25" connectors.

    Check manufacturer online drive specs.
    Example Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8
    40GB ATA/133
    +12V 0.79A
    +5V 0.647A
    Power(Watts) = Volts(V) x Current(A)
    12.72W, say for above drive, 6 x 13 = 78W

    >It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    >some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    >I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the

    Using yet more power.

    >drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    >problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    >had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    >use scan disk on them.
    >I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    >motherboard.

    Add the mobo, cpu, video, any other cards, ram, USB, optical drives etc.

    Me

    why?, Jun 28, 2007

  3. mattcar

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:42:42 -0700, mattcar wrote:
    >
    >>How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    >>six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.

    > I wouldn't not on 500.
    >
    > Consider most PSUs have 1 x floppy, 4 x 5.25" connectors.
    >
    > Check manufacturer online drive specs.
    > Example Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8
    > 40GB ATA/133
    > +12V 0.79A
    > +5V 0.647A
    > Power(Watts) = Volts(V) x Current(A)
    > 12.72W, say for above drive, 6 x 13 = 78W
    >
    >>It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    >>some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    >>I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the

    > Using yet more power.
    >
    >>drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    >>problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    >>had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    >>use scan disk on them.
    >>I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    >>motherboard.

    > Add the mobo, cpu, video, any other cards, ram, USB, optical drives etc.
    >
    > Me

    Yeah - jeez...I would put some of those drives external. Or, since I'm able
    to do so, attach an extra power supply system. It'd be ugly, but it would
    work.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 28, 2007
  4. mattcar

    Plato Guest

    mattcar wrote:

    > How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    > six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.
    > It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    > some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    > I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the
    > drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    > problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    > had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    > use scan disk on them.
    > I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    > motherboard.

    I like the idea of adding, even, two more cooling fans if you have the
    space in the case. Also, some HDDs run real hot and they may have
    problems if located on top of each other without proper air circulation
    around them. You may even need an intake fan which fits into a 5 1/4
    slot.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 28, 2007
  5. mattcar

    philo Guest

    "mattcar" <> wrote in message
    > How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    > six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.
    > It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    > some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    > I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the
    > drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    > problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    > had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    > use scan disk on them.
    > I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    > motherboard.

    a 500 watt psu can easily handle six drives

    philo, Jun 29, 2007
  6. mattcar

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 28, 4:52 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "mattcar" <> wrote in message

    > > How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    > > six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.
    > > It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    > > some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    > > I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the
    > > drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    > > problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    > > had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    > > use scan disk on them.
    > > I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    > > motherboard.

    > a 500 watt psu can easily handle six drives

    I would certainly think so. A 500 watt supply is quite unusual
    however, better double check that.

    MEG, Jun 29, 2007
  7. mattcar

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "MEG" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 28, 4:52 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    >> "mattcar" <> wrote in message

    >> > How many hard drives is too many for a 500 Watt Power supply? I have
    >> > six internal hard drives: 3 ATA, 3 SATA.
    >> > It's run fine like this for a year or so, but lately I've been getting
    >> > some lockups. Maybe the summer heat is getting to the RAM or CPU.
    >> > I'll try Adding another cooling fan (120mm) or taking two of the
    >> > drives out, and putting them in external enclosures. I've had some
    >> > problems with that earlier: twice the external drives got corrupted. I
    >> > had to take them out of the enclosure and put them back in the case to
    >> > use scan disk on them.
    >> > I'm running Win XP Pro, 1 gig of RAM on a BOISTAR K8NHA Pro
    >> > motherboard.

    >> a 500 watt psu can easily handle six drives

    > I would certainly think so. A 500 watt supply is quite unusual
    > however, better double check that.

    What's unusual about them? I buy them all the time.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058 1131414178&name=501 - 600W

    WhzzKdd, Jun 29, 2007