    I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.

    Thanx.

    , Sep 17, 2003

  2. Philip SC Guest

    You can do it if you run a SCSI system, which often gives you the added
    advantage of a faster-running system too.

    Philip SC, Sep 17, 2003

  3. <> wrote in message

    > I want to put a
    > DVD burner
    > DVD reader
    > CD burner
    > CDROM reader
    > 2 Harddrives
    > One Floppy.
    > In a new P4
    > Is this possible?
    > I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.

    It depends on what motherboard you have and how you are connecting them. My
    motherboard has 2 IDE ports, each holding a HDD and a CD-R/RW. You can buy
    a PCI-to-IDE card that has 4 IDE ports on it and supports ATA-133. You can
    then attach some drives that way.

    There are also varieties of drives (HDDs and CD/DVD) that connect through
    UsB ports. You can't boot from these, but they work for just about any
    other use you can have for a hard drive..

    Another option is to get your CD/DVD combined. You can find CD/DVD-RW's.
    Also keep in mind that CD and DVD burners are also readers, as well. Do you
    really need a separate reader for each medium? If you're thinking of
    copying CD's and DVD's, its usually safer to not 'burn on the fly' anyways.

    Hope that helps :)

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Some time, on or about: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:23:49 +0000 (UTC), "Philip
    SC" <> was criminally insane in my professional
    opinion when they claimed the following balderdash:

    >You can do it if you run a SCSI system, which often gives you the added
    >advantage of a faster-running system too.

    You don't need SCSI to do this. Some motherboards will handle up to 8
    IDE devices out of the box. I use an old ASUS A7VN133 that does this.
    This motherboard uses an AMD CPU and has a VIA chipset. I don't know
    of any motherboards that use a P4 that controls 8 IDE devices, I would
    say a simple and inexpensive solution would be to buy something like a
    Promise ATA 133 card. The card simply fits into a PCI slot and you can
    add an extra 4 IDE devices. SCSI, OTH,even though I like its
    performance, can be quite costly for a good Adaptec card, plus the
    peripherials carry a hefty premium, too.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 17, 2003
  5. why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:19:41 -0700, wrote:

    >I want to put a
    >DVD burner
    >DVD reader
    >CD burner
    >CDROM reader

    Why , burner / reader. Don't burners read CDs as well.

    >2 Harddrives
    >One Floppy.
    >In a new P4
    >Is this possible?
    >I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.

    Depends om mobo, my Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra2

    IDE1/2 , 4 devices
    IDE3/4 , 4 devices
    SATA1/2 , 2 devices

    That's 10 + floppy is 11.

    Me

    why?, Sep 17, 2003
  6. All you need is a dvd burner and a dvd reader. A dvd burner will burn cd-r's
    and a dvd reader will read cd's. So you can have 2 hard drives on ide 0 as
    master and slave. And you can have dvd burner and dvd reader on ide 1 as
    master and slave. If you really need all that shit then get a raid
    motherboard which had ide 0,1,2,3 allowing 8 ide devices.

    --
    Want someone to fix your computer remotely?
    Check out Network info at this site:

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm
    <> wrote in message

    > I want to put a
    > DVD burner
    > DVD reader
    > CD burner
    > CDROM reader
    > 2 Harddrives
    > One Floppy.
    > In a new P4
    > Is this possible?
    > I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.
    >
    > Thanx.

    ---

    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message

    > I want to put a
    > DVD burner
    > DVD reader
    > CD burner
    > CDROM reader
    > 2 Harddrives
    > One Floppy.
    > In a new P4
    > Is this possible?
    > I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.

    Let's see ...

    I currently have six HDs, a CD/RW, and a DVD-ROM installed.

    But I could bring up more.

    The SECRET? Is to use a PCI Host Adapter Card (my choice is the
    Promise Ultra133/TX2 ..well, actually, I use the Ultra100/TX2, it's ATA-100
    predecessor).

    Put the HDs on that, and the optical devices on the motherboard IDE
    ports.

    BTW - Put the DVD burner with the CD-ROM, and the CD burner with the
    DVD-ROM, for maximum flexibility.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:13:37 GMT, why?

    >On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:19:41 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>I want to put a
    >>DVD burner
    >>DVD reader
    >>CD burner
    >>CDROM reader

    >Why , burner / reader. Don't burners read CDs as well.

    The problem is that most burners will read most anything they write. If
    you are burning for other people it is nice to test the cd on an older
    reader for compatibility.

    >>2 Harddrives
    >>One Floppy.
    >>In a new P4
    >>Is this possible?
    >>I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.

    >Depends om mobo, my Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra2
    >
    >IDE1/2 , 4 devices
    >IDE3/4 , 4 devices
    >SATA1/2 , 2 devices
    >
    >That's 10 + floppy is 11.
    >
    >Me

    , Sep 18, 2003
  9. JabberSmith Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I want to put a
    > DVD burner
    > DVD reader
    > CD burner
    > CDROM reader
    > 2 Harddrives
    > One Floppy.
    > In a new P4
    > Is this possible?
    > I was told the system will only support TWO CD/DVD.
    >
    > Thanx.

    Also note, make sure you get a hefty power supply and put some thought into
    organizing the guts of that thing. You'll probably want a full tower case
    for that computer.

    I'd recommend extra case fans too... it's going to be a monster when you are
    done.

    JabberSmith, Sep 18, 2003