    cameras etc.).
    Any information and advice appreeciated
    Chris
    Christine, Nov 28, 2004

  2. The easiest answer to this question is, How many letters are there in the
    alphabet?.

    David Griffin, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Christine

    MJP Guest

    "Christine" <> wrote in message
    > Have been told that Win XP has a limited default capability as to the
    > number of drives it will support, i.e. disks real and 'virtual' (eg.
    > digital cameras etc.).
    > Any information and advice appreeciated
    > Chris

    This PC has 10 disks + 2 virtual and XP has not complained.

    MJP
    MJP, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Christine

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:42:07 -0000, "David Griffin" <>
    wrote:

    >The easiest answer to this question is, How many letters are there in the
    >alphabet?.

    Theoretically, XP will support many more than that.

    And they can easily be created...with other software.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Christine

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Christine" <> wrote in

    > Have been told that Win XP has a limited default capability as to the
    > number of drives it will support, i.e. disks real and 'virtual' (eg.
    > digital cameras etc.).
    > Any information and advice appreeciated
    > Chris

    As far as I know it's virtually unlimited. When you run out of drive
    letters, you can mount the drives in a NTFS directory, with
    'Disk management'
    Ingeborg, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Christine

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    | "Christine" <> wrote in
    |
    | > Have been told that Win XP has a limited default capability as to the
    | > number of drives it will support, i.e. disks real and 'virtual' (eg.
    | > digital cameras etc.).
    | > Any information and advice appreeciated
    | > Chris
    | >

    | As far as I know it's virtually unlimited. When you run out of drive
    | letters, you can mount the drives in a NTFS directory, with
    | 'Disk management'

    Yeah - I just played with that myself last week. Way cool! We used to do
    that on old MFM/RLL drives on the IBM PC-XT. And at work on my Novell
    network RAID array, I appended two new 36G drives to the existing 9G
    drives - Netware didn't skip a beat.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Christine

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > Yeah - I just played with that myself last week. Way cool! We used to do
    > that on old MFM/RLL drives on the IBM PC-XT. And at work on my Novell
    > network RAID array, I appended two new 36G drives to the existing 9G
    > drives - Netware didn't skip a beat.

    How did you do that on a XT?
    Ingeborg, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Christine

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ingeborg" <> wrote in message
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    |
    | > Yeah - I just played with that myself last week. Way cool! We used to do
    | > that on old MFM/RLL drives on the IBM PC-XT. And at work on my Novell
    | > network RAID array, I appended two new 36G drives to the existing 9G
    | > drives - Netware didn't skip a beat.
    |
    | How did you do that on a XT?

    Geez - you would ask that <g>! I had to go dig through the boxes (and I mean
    BIG boxes) of old software on my 5-1/4" (low density no less!) diskettes...

    It was a partitioning/formatting utility called Speedstor.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/partition_details.html

    I think the feature was called "expansion" or something like that. But I
    don't have the hardware around to even boot the floppy anymore to see <g>
    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  9. Christine

    Duck ducking Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:38:46 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Geez - you would ask that <g>! I had to go dig through the boxes (and I mean
    >BIG boxes) of old software on my 5-1/4" (low density no less!) diskettes...
    >
    >It was a partitioning/formatting utility called Speedstor.
    >http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/partition_details.html

    Thanks for bringing back the memories, just not sure if their welcome
    though :-{{}

    Duck ducking, Nov 29, 2004
  10. Christine

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duck ducking" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:38:46 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >Geez - you would ask that <g>! I had to go dig through the boxes (and I
    mean
    | >BIG boxes) of old software on my 5-1/4" (low density no less!)
    diskettes...

    | >It was a partitioning/formatting utility called Speedstor.
    | >http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/partition_details.html
    |
    | Thanks for bringing back the memories, just not sure if their welcome
    | though :-{{}

    Yeah - I had my share of fun during that era - Seagate ST225 drives (MFM)
    put on RLL controllers and running them as if they were ST238s. Custom
    formatting a few extra cylinders into the HD...anything to squeeze any extra
    possible space out of a drive. Forcing two different controllers to co-exist
    in the same system when the new drive was IDE and the old was MFM and I
    *had* to get the data transferred (pre networking days for me). You're
    right - the memories are rather ambivalent <g>!
    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Christine

    Christine Guest

    this is all greek to me, all I know is that I have tried everything everyone
    has suggested, and nothing. when camera plugged in, screen on camera says
    mass storage, so some communication must be going on!! camera itself seems
    o.k. taking pictures fine, just the computer won't recognise the camera,
    have emailed epsilon with the problem, no reply anyone out there understand
    the problem? Chris

    Christine, Dec 5, 2004
  12. Christine

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Christine" <> wrote in

    > this is all greek to me, all I know is that I have tried everything
    > everyone has suggested, and nothing. when camera plugged in, screen on
    > camera says mass storage, so some communication must be going on!!
    > camera itself seems o.k. taking pictures fine, just the computer won't
    > recognise the camera, have emailed epsilon with the problem, no reply
    > anyone out there understand the problem? Chris

    When you go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->
    Disk Management, with the camera connected, do you see your camera here on
    the right bottom pane? If not, windows doesn't see it as a drive.
    Ingeborg, Dec 6, 2004
  13. Christine

    Christine Guest

    Why not ? have installed driver from disk provided, (there should surely be
    enough drives on the computer to make it go.) that did'nt work then went to
    website installed latest driver from there, that did'nt work, nothing works,
    I'm ready to give up. I have learned a lot about my computer tryng to load
    this thing, but not enough, obviously.

    Christine, Dec 7, 2004
  14. Christine

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Christine" <> wrote in news:eJ7td.3415
    $:

    > Why not ?

    A camera doesn't need to expose itself as a external drive. For instance it
    can expose itself beeing a scanner. Don't know if XP provides it, but W2000
    has a program called 'Imaging'. Start this and try File->Select device. Is
    your camera here? If so select it, and get your pictures with File->Aquire
    images. If not, search your start menu for camera specific software.

    I have a HP camera, in which I can choose whether the camera will expose
    itself as a drive, or as an HP camera, in which case it starts some funny
    exchanging software when plugged in.

    If everything fails, and your camera has a memory card, you could try to
    use an external card reader (about 10 euro).
    Ingeborg, Dec 7, 2004