    What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    overloading it? Thanks.

    M.L., Jun 24, 2009

  2. M.L.

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing M.L <> bada bang:

    > After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    > surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    > Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >
    > What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    > many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    > overloading it? Thanks.

    Count the number of plugs and stop at six. If there is a circuit
    breaker incorporated into the strip it will trip at about the
    same current level as your home.

    Yes, that was glib, but fairly accurate. If it is a UPS then
    you can plug in the most neccessary devices to the uninteruptible
    plugs to maximize the time they'll run on the UPS battery.

    Mike "for a surge protector, see the glib answer." Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

    Mike Yetto, Jun 24, 2009

  3. M.L.

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:48:52 -0500, M.L. <> wrote:

    >After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    >surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    >Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >
    >What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    >many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    >overloading it? Thanks.

    Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    outlet box.
    Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

    As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    rated at 200 watts or less.

    Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

    richard, Jun 24, 2009
  4. M.L.

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:38:49 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >outlet box.

    Cite.

    >Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

    Again? Cite.

    Oh... I should never argue with a master electrician such as yourself.

    I mean, you had a CB license. How could anyone ever compete with that?

    Ob "Get Richard to drop from thread:

    Oh, I'm still waiting for some ... link, or anything, to back up your
    claims of 300 people sharing the same IP address (IP Share I believe
    you called it?) And no, you didn't mean NAT."

    >As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >rated at 200 watts or less.
    >
    >Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

    Electrical advice from Richard. I don't even know where to begin.

    Evan Platt, Jun 24, 2009
  5. M.L. <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    > surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    > Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >
    > What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    > many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to

    avoid
    > overloading it? Thanks.

    42

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Jun 24, 2009
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.

    >>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >>outlet box.

    My UPS is plugged into a single socket of a double socket outlet. Does
    the 13 amp restriction apply to the sum of both sockets, or each
    socket?

    >>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >>rated at 200 watts or less.
    >>
    >>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

    Just to be safest, I'll follow the most conservative load presented
    here. I've noticed that some adapter bricks don't show the wattage
    though.

    M.L., Jun 24, 2009
  7. M.L.

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:51:41 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:38:49 -0400, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >>outlet box.

    >Cite.
    >
    >>Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.

    >Again? Cite.

    Evan, you want a cite? Call up your local building inspectors
    department and ask them.

    Can you show me any single electronic device designed for 120v that is
    rated at greater than 1500 watts? What's 13 times 120? That's why
    there aint' none.

    Some areas will allow up to 20 amps per outlet. That's why you should
    contact your local building code department to know for sure.

    >Oh... I should never argue with a master electrician such as yourself.

    I never said I was. But you always claim you know everything there is
    to know. Yet, can't solve your own problem.

    >I mean, you had a CB license. How could anyone ever compete with that?
    >
    >Ob "Get Richard to drop from thread:
    >
    >Oh, I'm still waiting for some ... link, or anything, to back up your
    >claims of 300 people sharing the same IP address (IP Share I believe
    >you called it?) And no, you didn't mean NAT."
    >
    >>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >>rated at 200 watts or less.
    >>
    >>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

    >Electrical advice from Richard. I don't even know where to begin.

    Evan, you go right ahead and plug in to all the plugs on that outlet
    box with each item rated at 20 amps and do be sure to have the phone
    handy so you can call the fire department.

    richard, Jun 24, 2009
  8. M.L.

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:52:38 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >I never said I was. But you always claim you know everything there is
    >to know.

    I never said I knew everything. Just more than you. I'll admit when
    there's things I don't know, which is why I asked for postfix help.

    >Yet, can't solve your own problem.

    Speaking of solving your own problem... How's that *nix box coming
    along? Oh, I'm sorry, that's right. You couldn't handle anything
    without pretty pictures, so had to have Windows 2000 put on it.

    And where's your documentation on IP Sharing?

    This is, as usual, where you drop out of the thread, as you have the
    last dozen or so times I've asked, richtard. Or is that chuckard?

    Evan Platt, Jun 24, 2009
  9. M.L.

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:48:52 -0500, M.L. <> wrote:
    >
    >> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    >> surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    >> Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >>
    >> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    >> many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    >> overloading it? Thanks.

    > Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    > wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    > outlet box.
    > Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.
    >
    > As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    > rated at 200 watts or less.

    So you would advocate loading a 200W UPS with a load of 1Kw?

    I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

    Desk Rabbit, Jun 24, 2009
  10. M.L.

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:40:40 -0500, M.L. <> wrote:

    >Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.
    >
    >>>Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >>>wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >>>outlet box.

    >My UPS is plugged into a single socket of a double socket outlet. Does
    >the 13 amp restriction apply to the sum of both sockets, or each
    >socket?

    Dual sockets are generally a convenience feature. Both are usually fed
    from a single line into the box. However, there could be two feed
    lines. For that you'd have to pull the box open and look. When I use
    a multioutlet box, I usually don't plug anything else into the other
    socket except for something that uses less than 2 amps or so.

    >>>As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >>>rated at 200 watts or less.
    >>>
    >>>Add up the wattage. If the wattage is over 1300, leave one item out.

    >Just to be safest, I'll follow the most conservative load presented
    >here. I've noticed that some adapter bricks don't show the wattage
    >though.

    A good guide would be to look at the fuse rating. Amps times volts
    equals watts. So a 3 amp fuse would handle 360 watts.

    richard, Jun 24, 2009
  11. M.L.

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:25:44 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:48:52 -0500, M.L. <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    >>> surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    >>> Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >>>
    >>> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    >>> many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    >>> overloading it? Thanks.

    >> Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >> wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >> outlet box.
    >> Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.
    >>
    >> As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >> rated at 200 watts or less.

    >So you would advocate loading a 200W UPS with a load of 1Kw?
    >
    >I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

    Dumbass. Any ac outlet will handle 1500 watts. He said his laptop is
    rated at 200 watts. Not the power strip.

    richard, Jun 24, 2009
  12. M.L.

    Buffalo Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.
    >
    >>> Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >>> wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >>> outlet box.

    > My UPS is plugged into a single socket of a double socket outlet. Does
    > the 13 amp restriction apply to the sum of both sockets, or each
    > socket?

    It applies to the total connected load on that entire 15amp circuit. (not
    just that outlet, but everything on that circuit).
    And, actually,it is only 12amps (80% of 15amps is 12amps and 80% of 20amps
    is 16amps).

    Buffalo, Jun 24, 2009
  13. M.L.

    Buffalo Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to a power
    > surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my laptop (APC BE350G
    > Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >
    > What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to determine how
    > many of those devices I can safely connect to the power strip to avoid
    > overloading it? Thanks.

    Most UPS units don't offer any more surge protection than just a regular
    surge protector. They are designed to keep your computer running long enough
    to finish up quickly and then shut down safely, depending on their size.
    They also will switch to battery power if they are configured to do so with
    voltage spikes, or high or low voltage inputs.

    You can actually plug in as many devices in the power strip as you would
    normally plug into any powerstrip, as long as you only plug in a very
    limited load on the battery protected outlets.

    The max continous load on any 15amp circuit is 80% which is 12amps.

    That's actually a very small UPS.
    If you only have 100watts connected, it will run for aprox 6 min on battery,
    before it dies.
    150watts may be 3 min (just guessing).
    I would only have the laptop itself connected to the battery protected
    outlets (and perhaps a router or other low power drawing device(s) if you
    desire a safe shutdown during a power failure.
    I would sure use the software program supplied to do an automatic shutdown.
    If the total load connected to battery supplied outlets is 200watts or more,
    the run time on battery is rated at 0 min IOW, less than a minute.

    On the back or bottom of your laptop, it should have the total wattage used
    by the laptop.
    If your laptop has a good battery and the battery is in it, you really don't
    need a UPS, but you may just need a high quality surge-protector.
    Buffalo

    Watts50100200300400500600700800FullHalfVA~8016032048064080096011201280LoadLo
    adBE350G 16 min 6 min 0 min -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 min (200 Watts) 6 min (100
    Watts) BE450G 32 min 14 min 4 min -- -- -- -- -- -- 2 min (257 Watts) 9 min
    (128.5 Watts) BE550G 1 hrs 8 mins 28 min 10 min 4 min -- -- -- -- -- 3 min
    (330 Watts) 13 min (165 Watts) BE650G 1 hrs 12 mins 32 min 13 min 7
    min -- -- -- -- -- 4 min (390 Watts) 13 min (195 Watts) BE750G 1 hrs 29 mins
    38 min 14 min 7 min 4 min -- -- -- -- 2 min (450 Watts) 12 min (225 Watts)
    Copyright © American Power Conversion Corp., all rights reserved

    Buffalo, Jun 24, 2009
  14. M.L.

    Buffalo Guest

    John H. Guillory wrote:

    >> Some areas will allow up to 20 amps per outlet. That's why you should
    >> contact your local building code department to know for sure.

    >> Evan, you go right ahead and plug in to all the plugs on that outlet
    >> box with each item rated at 20 amps and do be sure to have the phone
    >> handy so you can call the fire department.

    > Wouldn't the AMP rating of the outlet be kind of controlled by the
    > size of the circuit breaker installed? I rarely hear of anyone
    > putting in a 13amp breaker.

    Basically it is a continously connected load not to exceed 80% of the
    overcurrent rating device.
    15amp breaker-12amps 20amp breaker-16amp
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Jun 24, 2009
  15. M.L.

    Buffalo Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:25:44 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> Assuming that the outlet box is going to be plugged in to one common
    >>> wall socket, you are allowed a maximum of 13 amps flowing into the
    >>> outlet box.
    >>> Shut up Evan, it's standard building code.
    >>>
    >>> As a safety factor, I would not plug in more than 5 items that are
    >>> rated at 200 watts or less.

    >> So you would advocate loading a 200W UPS with a load of 1Kw?
    >>
    >> I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

    > Dumbass. Any ac outlet will handle 1500 watts. He said his laptop is
    > rated at 200 watts. Not the power strip.

    The APC BE350G is rated at 200watts, not the laptop.

    That is how I read it.
    Buffalo
    PS: 1440watts is supposedly the max continous load on a 15amp circuit. Some
    call it 1500watts.
    (120v x 15amps x 80% = 1440watts)

    Buffalo, Jun 24, 2009
  16. M.L.

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

    The word electrical in the above sentence is superfluous.

    Evan Platt, Jun 24, 2009
  17. M.L.

    Respondant Guest

    Buffalo wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:25:44 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> So you would advocate loading a 200W UPS with a load of 1Kw?
    >>>
    >>> I don't think I'll take advice from you for anything electrical.

    >> Dumbass. Any ac outlet will handle 1500 watts. He said his laptop is
    >> rated at 200 watts. Not the power strip.

    > The APC BE350G is rated at 200watts, not the laptop.
    >
    > That is how I read it.
    > Buffalo
    > PS: 1440watts is supposedly the max continous load on a 15amp
    > circuit. Some call it 1500watts.
    > (120v x 15amps x 80% = 1440watts)

    This is how I read it:

    The subject line says power strip which is essentially an extension cord
    with up to 6 outlets. Every UL-Listed power strip not only comes with a
    built-in breaker, it also has 'backup' from the house breaker on the circuit
    it's plugged into. So before you could ruin anything plugged into it, or
    have an electrical fire, you'd have to have circuit breaker failure x2.

    But then ... A few posts later OP changes "power strip" to "UPS", which,
    depending on how OP defines "UPS" may be something completely different.
    Not that it would probably matter.

    Respondant, Jun 24, 2009
  18. M.L.

    thanatoid Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in

    > After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to
    > a power surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my
    > laptop (APC BE350G Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >
    > What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to
    > determine how many of those devices I can safely connect to
    > the power strip to avoid overloading it? Thanks.

    I only read the first 5 replies, and I can only assume the rest
    is similar.

    You bought what used to be /the/ best UPS, now the exact same
    box is sold under variety of names and often has to be returned
    for cash. However, having the APC logo on it there is a chance
    they get the best or the only good ones of the crop while the
    rest goes to the garbage market.

    Anyway, laptops don't draw much power. Your laptop power adapter
    says on it how much - all electrical devices say on a label
    usually on the back or bottom what their max Watt usage will be.

    The unit you bought is rated at 200W. That means you can plug an
    equivalent of TWO 100W light bulbs into it. That's not much but
    it should be plenty for a laptop and maybe a couple of LOW POWER
    accessories. (Desktop DVD players use less than 10 watts, for
    instance.)

    You can try to run up to 300, the worst that will happen is the
    unit will start giving you warning noises and lights. READ THE
    MANUAL.

    BTW, forget about VA or trying to understand it. Stick to
    wattage.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, Jun 24, 2009
  19. M.L.

    Respondant Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > M.L. <> wrote in
    >

    >> After a friend told me that she lost her year old laptop to
    >> a power surge, I purchased a 6-outlet UPS to protect my
    >> laptop (APC BE350G Back-UPS ES 200 Watts/350 VA 120V).
    >>
    >> What specs do I look for on my electrical devices to
    >> determine how many of those devices I can safely connect to
    >> the power strip to avoid overloading it? Thanks.

    > I only read the first 5 replies, and I can only assume the rest
    > is similar.
    >
    > You bought what used to be /the/ best UPS,

    <snip>

    Subject line says "Power Strip" which =/= "UPS" depending on how OP is
    defining "UPS".

    You wanna know if a power strip can handle a load? Fire it up, plug in
    everything you wanna plug into it, and then turn them all on one-at-a-time.

    One of three things will ensue (in order of probability) providing your home
    wasn't built in the 1920's;

    - Everything will work just fine

    - The circuit breaker in the power strip will 'trip' as soon as it's
    overloaded. (exposing the culprit)

    - The circuit breaker the power strip is plugged into will 'trip' in your
    home's panel. (exposing your power strip as a piece of shit)

    - Your home will burst into flames.

    Just please promise me that what I wrote won't stop you all from posturing
    and doing more math and stuff.

    Respondant, Jun 24, 2009
  20. M.L.

    chuckcar Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:25:44 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > The APC BE350G is rated at 200watts, not the laptop.
    >
    > That is how I read it.
    > Buffalo
    > PS: 1440watts is supposedly the max continous load on a 15amp circuit.
    > Some call it 1500watts.
    > (120v x 15amps x 80% = 1440watts)

    Not accurate. With AC power average power is calculated by multiplying by
    1/(2^.5) or about 71%. That gives ~1300 watts.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 24, 2009