How many antivirus programs do I need?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SNTP, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    Hi all,

    I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus
    on my computer.
    That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of
    my computer?

    Frustrated in Toronto,

    SNTP

    SNTP, Feb 27, 2005

  2. SNTP

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus on
    > my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of my
    > computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,

    i use two, AVG free and Trend Micro's free online scan.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Feb 27, 2005

  3. SNTP

    philo Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus
    > on my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of
    > my computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,

    First off...I doubt if any virus checker could possible detect *all*
    possible viruses...
    additionally the big name-brand virus checkers are not necessarily the best.

    Running several virus checkers co-currently can also cause problems too...
    So what you may want to do is just choose one that you think is the best
    and run just that...
    but from time to time you may want to go off line,shut it down
    and run a scan with another virus checker

    philo, Feb 27, 2005
  4. SNTP

    James Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus on
    > my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of my
    > computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,
    >
    > SNTP

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    Do not run two antiviral apps at the same time - You should only have one
    monitoring at a time. You may however run another one to check the system
    occasionally...

    James, Feb 27, 2005
  5. SNTP

    Ionizer Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus
    > on my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of
    > my computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,

    Dear Frustrated:

    ILookup is adware, a category of malware which antivirus programs don't
    specialize in detecting and removing. ILookup is a toolbar, and according
    to Symantec, "This adware component must be manually installed." That
    means that *you* are to blame for its presence on your system, not Norton
    or AVG. No amount of security software can protect the user from himself.

    For instance, did you research XoftSpy before you installed it? During
    that research, what did you think when you came across this page:
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24563

    Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.

    Signed,
    Dear Abby.
    http://www.jpshrine.org/lyrics/songs/jpdearabby.html

    Ionizer, Feb 27, 2005
  6. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    >>computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    >>I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    >>I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    >>As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    >>installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus
    >>on my computer.
    >>That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    >>Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    >>paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    >>Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of
    >>my computer?
    >>
    >>Frustrated in Toronto,
    >>

    > Dear Frustrated:
    >
    > ILookup is adware, a category of malware which antivirus programs don't
    > specialize in detecting and removing. ILookup is a toolbar, and according
    > to Symantec, "This adware component must be manually installed." That
    > means that *you* are to blame for its presence on your system, not Norton
    > or AVG. No amount of security software can protect the user from himself.
    >
    > For instance, did you research XoftSpy before you installed it? During
    > that research, what did you think when you came across this page:
    > http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24563
    >
    > Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.
    >
    > Signed,
    > Dear Abby.
    > http://www.jpshrine.org/lyrics/songs/jpdearabby.html

    Now you got me scared. I hope that a friend that recommended me XoftSpy
    did his part on DD (Due Diligence). Stupid me.
    What's interesting, I have done what Symantec advises at
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ilookup.html
    and did not find any traces. Neither could I with other searches.
    Could be just a hoax from XoftSpy.

    Thanks for the advise.

    SNTP

    SNTP, Feb 27, 2005
  7. SNTP

    Ionizer Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221fd1f$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Now you got me scared. I hope that a friend that recommended me XoftSpy
    > did his part on DD (Due Diligence). Stupid me.
    > What's interesting, I have done what Symantec advises at
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ilookup.html
    > and did not find any traces. Neither could I with other searches.
    > Could be just a hoax from XoftSpy.
    >
    > Thanks for the advise.

    Try the free version of "AdAware" from Lavasoft if you'd like to scan your
    system for spyware and adware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ AdAware is widely used and
    recommended. After you've installed it, update its Ref files, which are
    its equivalent of virus definitions, and do a scan of your system.
    AdAware automatically quarantines items prior to removing them, which
    makes it quite safe to use. I've been using various versions of AdAware
    for several years and have always found it to be reliable and effective.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Feb 27, 2005
  8. SNTP

    SNTP Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221fd1f$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>Now you got me scared. I hope that a friend that recommended me XoftSpy
    >>did his part on DD (Due Diligence). Stupid me.
    >>What's interesting, I have done what Symantec advises at
    >>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ilookup.html
    >>and did not find any traces. Neither could I with other searches.
    >>Could be just a hoax from XoftSpy.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the advise.
    >>

    > Try the free version of "AdAware" from Lavasoft if you'd like to scan your
    > system for spyware and adware:
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ AdAware is widely used and
    > recommended. After you've installed it, update its Ref files, which are
    > its equivalent of virus definitions, and do a scan of your system.
    > AdAware automatically quarantines items prior to removing them, which
    > makes it quite safe to use. I've been using various versions of AdAware
    > for several years and have always found it to be reliable and effective.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I've been using AdAware for a couple of years now and like it very much.
    It found no traces of I lookup on my computer either. Could be just a
    hoax. I am deleting Xoft immediately.

    Thanks,

    SNTP

    SNTP, Feb 27, 2005
  9. SNTP

    johnyreb Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus on
    > my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of my
    > computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,

    Run one at all times, have another 2 or 3 and run them occasionally.

    www.connectlan.com

    johnyreb, Feb 27, 2005
  10. SNTP

    The One Guest

    "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221e06e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on my
    > computer. The programs are updated everyday.
    > I have free AVG program and it also get updated everyday.
    > I don't go to porn and hackers sites. I thought I was safe.
    > As a matter of fact I was quite cocky about my computer safety until I
    > installed and ran XoftSpy. That program right away found Ilookup virus
    > on my computer.
    > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been
    > paying for the NAME for the G..'s sake!
    > Could anybody tell me what else do I need to do to keep troubles out of
    > my computer?
    >
    > Frustrated in Toronto,

    Don't run more than one, your system is liable to crash at signs of virus's,
    they WILL conflict. As for Norton Antivirus..... bin it, its crap, get AVG
    or similar, they are free and updateable.

    Norton Internet Security..... bin it too, with NAV it bloats your system and
    slows it down, get Zone Alarm will do a better job for free.

    www.download.com

    The One, Mar 1, 2005
  11. SNTP

    The One Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "SNTP" <> wrote in message news:4221fd1f$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > > Now you got me scared. I hope that a friend that recommended me XoftSpy
    > > did his part on DD (Due Diligence). Stupid me.
    > > What's interesting, I have done what Symantec advises at

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ilookup.html
    > > and did not find any traces. Neither could I with other searches.
    > > Could be just a hoax from XoftSpy.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the advise.
    > >

    > Try the free version of "AdAware" from Lavasoft if you'd like to scan your
    > system for spyware and adware:
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ AdAware is widely used and
    > recommended. After you've installed it, update its Ref files, which are
    > its equivalent of virus definitions, and do a scan of your system.
    > AdAware automatically quarantines items prior to removing them, which
    > makes it quite safe to use. I've been using various versions of AdAware
    > for several years and have always found it to be reliable and effective.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I do use two spyware scanners though, Ad-aware SE personal and spy doctor.

    The One, Mar 1, 2005
  12. SNTP

    Plato Guest

    The One wrote:

    > > That was quite a shock. Well, I can't expect too much from free AVG, but
    > > Norton?! I paid for the program, I am paying for subscription. I've been

    Both are bad assumptions. The key is to NOT to install the virus or
    trojan in the first place. ie dont download them, dont open them, dont
    install them.

    Plato, Mar 1, 2005
  13. SNTP

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I agree Norton is very bloated NIS 2005 takes up a lot of resources.

    Zone Alarm is very good, but I would recommend the Zone Alarm Security Suite
    which includes AV.

    For dealing with Spyware you are better with more than one program.

    My first choice is Spysweeper (always running)

    Adaware is good, Adaware SE Pro is better.

    I am also trying Spyware Doctor ATM - seems quite good

    BIG NIGE, Mar 1, 2005
  14. SNTP

    C.J.Patten Guest

    I'm running Norton Antivirus 2005 with auto-protect and auto-update on. It
    catches a LOT of incoming crap.

    Also running Zone Alarm (free edition). Once again, it catches a lot.

    Finally, I also run Giant/Microsoft Antispyware with it's "agents" active.
    It too catches a great deal.

    Occassionally I run AdawareSE. It finds very little if anything and it's
    usually something relatively benign like a tracking cookie.

    With all that, I've yet to be infected. (it's been months and I do a lot of
    web work)

    Here's a chilling one for you: when I log in to an FTP server using GoLive
    (Adobe's web publishing suite) I've actually had Trojans attempt to get in
    through GoLive's ports. (!) You gotta wonder how many servers are infected
    with malware... FYI: Norton catches the GoLive/trojan intrusion attempt.
    I've seen a dozen different trojans try to get through.

    I play Halo online too and have had a Trojan try to slip through there -
    either ZoneAlarm or Norton catches that.

    Be skeptical of ANYTHING that wants to do ANYTHING you didn't ask for.
    Website pop up wants to install something? Close the window. If you didn't
    need it before, you'll live without it from now on - and it could just as
    easily be malicious.

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Mar 2, 2005