How mailmerge?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Jan 25, 2014.

  1. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    OK, i have Word 2003 and thought i followed the yellow brick road,but
    the tornado (Word) left me in the dust (no joy).
    The (master) letter starts exactly like:
    [Supplier Name]
    [Supplier address]
    [Supplier city state]

    [Date]

    Dear [name]
    and the body continues at this point.

    By using the "wizard" i linked an Excel 2003 spreadsheet like thus:
    Supplier Name Supplier address Supplier city state Date name
    SMT NW Inc 16389 SW 72nd Ave Portland OR 97224 1/25/2014 Dustin Green
    Mouser Electronics 1000 N Main St Mansfield TX 76063 1/25/2014 Sir

    NOTHING got copied; two letters were generated, which indicates part
    of the process works. Those letters look exactly like the source.
    So how do i fix it?
    Robert Baer, Jan 25, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > OK, i have Word 2003 and thought i followed the yellow brick road,but
    > the tornado (Word) left me in the dust (no joy).
    > The (master) letter starts exactly like:
    > [Supplier Name]
    > [Supplier address]
    > [Supplier city state]
    >
    > [Date]
    >
    > Dear [name]
    > and the body continues at this point.
    >
    > By using the "wizard" i linked an Excel 2003 spreadsheet like thus:
    > Supplier Name Supplier address Supplier city state Date name
    > SMT NW Inc 16389 SW 72nd Ave Portland OR 97224 1/25/2014
    > Dustin Green
    > Mouser Electronics 1000 N Main St Mansfield TX 76063
    > 1/25/2014 Sir
    >
    > NOTHING got copied; two letters were generated, which indicates part
    > of the process works. Those letters look exactly like the source.
    > So how do i fix it?

    There's a walkthrough here.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-a-walk-through-the-process-HA001034920.aspx

    I would think if there was a failure of the tool communication paths,
    that would be evident during the setup phase (those dialog
    boxes in the walkthrough article).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_Linking_and_Embedding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Object_Model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Component_Object_Model

    I haven't used Office for anything, in eons :) Sorry.

    I would expect the Excel format to be pretty rigid. If
    you "imported" your mailing list from something you
    did in a text editor, perhaps some loose characters
    in there broke something. That's just a guess on my part.
    Perhaps you could convert the mailing list to CSV format
    or tab separated (i.e. something human readable) again,
    to verify everything in there is kosher.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 25, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Well....
    Attempting to follow the first (main?) article:
    "Mail merge step 1: Choose a document type and main document"
    This is a "duh" in that i am using Word and have the master document
    open already.
    "The Mail Merge task pane opens with a question about what type of
    merged document" NOPE!
    "If your main document (called the starting document in the task pane)
    is already open, or you are starting with a blank document, you can
    click Use the current document." NOPE!

    "Mail merge step 2: Connect to a data file and select records" NOPE!
    "Connect to the data file

    "In this step in the mail-merge process, you connect to the data file
    where the unique information that you want to merge into your documents
    is stored." NOW WE ARE COOKING..
    "use an existing list" is pre-selected, then "currently, your
    recipients are selected from [MM$Print_Area] in 'MailMergeList.xls' and
    step 3 of 6 is next.
    Then the master guide states "Choose the records in the data file
    that you want to use", and all is pre-checked.

    Now here is where it gets dicey; the master guide gives step 3:
    "Mail merge step 3: Add fields to the main document"
    BUT THE "WIZARD" THAT ONE MUST FOLLOW SEZ "WRITE YOUR LETTER".
    Well....it was wrote daze ago.
    Going on with wizard instructions, "To add recipient information to
    your letter, click a location in the document and click one of the items
    below".
    Naturally, NONE of the items listed match what i need.

    >>>Here is the critical part:

    "If you click More items in the task pane, you can add fields that match
    any of the columns in your data file."

    Now never mind that i typed in EXACTLY the chevrons and field names'
    apparently that does not exist as indicators - apparently they are just
    a part of the letter body.
    Ya gots tew INSERT the fields from the "More items" list, and ONLY on
    a one-by-one basis.

    So hang onto your hat..will try it.
    WORKS!

    Thanks.
    ** Pays to deviate / ignore that master guide, as "match fields",
    "greeting line",etc just cannot cut it (remember? NONE of the items
    listed match what i need..)
    Robert Baer, Jan 25, 2014