How M$ tries to fleece the populace

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Do you use Internet Explorer? Have you ever been to a website where IE
    greets you with a message saying that the website is not to be trusted
    simply because there is no certificate? Oh but the kindhearted M$ is nice
    enough to let you to continue visiting that site at your own risk.

    Ok so I checked this certificate thing out for my site. Did you know that
    there are only 3 places where the certificate can be purchased? That's what
    I was offered anyway. Cost ranging from $25 to over $100 depending on the
    type of certificate you wanted.

    Now why should I fork over my hard(ly) earned money to some poor slob who
    is doing nothing to benefit me in any way? Other than to say to IE, the
    site is safe. Obviously, to M$, "Caveat emptor", means......"SUCKER!".

    No certificate, hey we'll just red flag the site and if the poor fool gets
    hit with a virus, that's his problem. Well, it already is the visitor's
    problem. A certificate doesnt mean harm will not happen to my machine. It
    only means that some idiot, paid another bigger idiot for nothing.

    Which is one of the many reasons why I refuse to use IE unless I absolutely
    have to. It's my damn machine. M$ can't control how I use it. But they are
    trying.

    richard, Mar 20, 2010

  2. richard wrote:

    > Do you use Internet Explorer?

    No, it won't run on my operating system.

    > Have you ever been to a website where IE greets you with a message
    > saying that the website is not to be trusted

    Must be talking about your site, then?

    > simply because there is no certificate? Oh but the kindhearted M$ is
    > nice enough to let you to continue visiting that site at your own
    > risk.

    For your site, an eyeball warning would be sufficient.

    > Ok so I checked this certificate thing out for my site.

    Would all three of your visitors care that much about it?

    --
    -bts
    -Could. Not. Resist.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 20, 2010

  3. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes and having writ moves on.
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Do you use Internet Explorer?

    > No, it won't run on my operating system.

    Not to put too fine a point on it, but you can run IE6 under
    Wine for when it is absolutely necessary to visit a site run by
    an idiot.

    Check out ies4linux at
    <URL:http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page>

    Mike "is that a Golden Fleece?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Mar 20, 2010
  4. Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes and having writ moves on.
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Do you use Internet Explorer?

    >> No, it won't run on my operating system.

    > Not to put too fine a point on it, but you can run IE6 under
    > Wine for when it is absolutely necessary to visit a site

    (Shhhh. Yeah, I know. Though that would require that I use .. um ..
    Microsoft software!)

    > run by an idiot.

    Oh! Carry on.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 20, 2010
  5. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Oh! Carry on.

    Don't I always? At least I'm trying.

    Mike "yeah, I know... very" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Mar 20, 2010
  6. richard

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:12 -0400, Mike Yetto <> wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes and having writ moves on.
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you use Internet Explorer?

    >> No, it won't run on my operating system.
    >>

    >Not to put too fine a point on it, but you can run IE6 under
    >Wine for when it is absolutely necessary to visit a site run by
    >an idiot.

    Sig!

    --
    The sysadmin has graciously deigned not to cast you headlong into a
    pit of rabid wombats. Please bear this in mind when composing your

    Mara, Mar 21, 2010
  7. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 20/03/2010 07:19, richard wrote:
    > Do you use Internet Explorer? Have you ever been to a website where IE
    > greets you with a message saying that the website is not to be trusted
    > simply because there is no certificate? Oh but the kindhearted M$ is nice
    > enough to let you to continue visiting that site at your own risk.
    >
    > Ok so I checked this certificate thing out for my site. Did you know that
    > there are only 3 places where the certificate can be purchased? That's what
    > I was offered anyway. Cost ranging from $25 to over $100 depending on the
    > type of certificate you wanted.
    >
    > Now why should I fork over my hard(ly) earned money to some poor slob who
    > is doing nothing to benefit me in any way? Other than to say to IE, the
    > site is safe. Obviously, to M$, "Caveat emptor", means......"SUCKER!".
    >
    > No certificate, hey we'll just red flag the site and if the poor fool gets
    > hit with a virus, that's his problem. Well, it already is the visitor's
    > problem. A certificate doesnt mean harm will not happen to my machine. It
    > only means that some idiot, paid another bigger idiot for nothing.
    >
    > Which is one of the many reasons why I refuse to use IE unless I absolutely
    > have to. It's my damn machine. M$ can't control how I use it. But they are
    > trying.

    That is just soooooo wrong on soooo many counts I just don't know where
    to start.

    Short answer: Your'e wrong....again.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 22, 2010