    How long would it take someone to learn and pass an exam? (eg the new 2008
    exams) , Im at home every day, and if Im not looking for contracts then I'm
    generally trying to play with all the new 2008 software.

    PeterO, Feb 19, 2009

  2. "PeterO" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > My question is this :-
    > How long would it take someone to learn and pass an exam?

    Part of the question here is to specify merely learning TO pass an exam, or
    actually learning the product such that passing the exam has meaning.

    TrainingCamps have established quite prevalently that it's possible for a
    human to learn sufficient information to pass a certification exam in about
    30 hours of formal instruction.

    On the other hand, a person with years of experience on a product can
    probably do an appropriate Exam Review and pass an exam in about sixteen
    hours of study/review time.

    > (eg the new 2008
    > exams) , Im at home every day, and if Im not looking for contracts then
    > I'm
    > generally trying to play with all the new 2008 software.

    I took the Win2008 exams in beta. Based on the limited documentation and the
    beta bits available at the time, and my five years of experience with
    Windows Server 2003, I'd estimate I invested about 20 hours of prep time for
    each of the five Win2008 exams I took in Dec '07/Jan '08. Had I not had the
    five years of experience with win2003, I doubt I could have learned any of
    the material sufficiently to have even taken the tests before the end of the
    beta exam period.

    On the other hand, some tests you can never be sufficiently prepared for --
    over the past two years, both the 70-228 and the 70-291 have been eating my
    lunch in exam prep work. Oh -- I *know* the material, from a real-world,
    operational perspective -- but not to the depth necessary to reasonably
    guarantee being able to answer all of the obscure questions that might still
    be asked (like upgrading SQL Server 6.5 to SQL 2000; or configuring RRAS --
    neither being actual skills I've ever employed -- or ever will employ). It's
    now becoming a question of how marginal a score am I willing to accept
    merely to achieve completion of those two exams in the next 45 days.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Feb 19, 2009

  3. PeterO

    John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <> wrote in message

    > On the other hand, some tests you can never be sufficiently prepared
    > for -- over the past two years, both the 70-228 and the 70-291 have been
    > eating my lunch in exam prep work. Oh -- I *know* the material, from a
    > real-world, operational perspective -- but not to the depth necessary to
    > reasonably guarantee being able to answer all of the obscure questions
    > that might still be asked (like upgrading SQL Server 6.5 to SQL 2000; or
    > configuring RRAS -- neither being actual skills I've ever employed -- or
    > ever will employ). It's

    Lawrence, don't sweat 70-291. While it may sound like bragging, 291 is not
    *that* bad. Yea, there are lots of obscure things that "could" be asked,
    but as long as you are comfortable with DNS, WINS, RRAS, etc, trust me, you
    won't have any problem with it. The problem with 291 isn't the obscure
    questions, it is the volume of topics.

    Although I was quite comfortable with most of the topics, I had never
    touched RRAS prior to my studying for the exam because we used Cisco vpn
    concentrators, etc. I studied it for a while and read the MSPRESS book.
    However, because of the volume of topics, there weren't too many on any one
    subject except for DNS. It seemed there were DNS implications in almost
    every question.

    I have total faith that you will conquer 291 with no problems.

    John R

    John R, Feb 20, 2009
  4. PeterO

    PeterO Guest

    I agree, I dont necessary believe passing an exam is an indicator that you
    know the subject.
    I am sort lost lost in the woods a bit really, there are so many areas I
    want to cover, its knowing where to start. Im currently doing stuff with
    SBS2003/2008 , playing with SCOM and all the system centre essentials tools .
    And then getting to grips with exchange and ISA firewalls and also re doing
    my site using MS expression web, that also trying to do some scripting (using
    the very old SMS installer)

    If only I was certain on which area to concentrate on, maybe I could get
    round to deciding what exams to do

    PeterO, Feb 20, 2009
  5. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > I have total faith that you will conquer 291 with no problems.

    You make a good point that the key here is the quantity of topics, and not
    perhaps the obscurity. And to that point, I've always accepted the fact that
    there's certain topics I'm just not going to invest the effort in learning
    because they're "dead topics" and I'm willing to risk missing that "one
    question" on that topic on the exam as the price of not investing pointless
    study time.

    Perhaps I've fallen short in applying that philsophy wholeheartedly to
    the -291? :)

    Thank you for the feedback and vote of confidence!

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Feb 22, 2009