    that I will be on the trip. Does anyone have any experience with this?

    TIA

    Todd
    John Doe, Feb 5, 2004

  2. John Doe

    Sean Guest

    Id say that strongly depends on the camera. I'm a Marine, and when
    going to the field I bring along my Sony CDMavica. Fully charged that
    camera tells me I have about 150 minutes. Note that isn't too
    reliable. The number can jump every once in a while by 10 minutes.
    Depends on what your doing with the camera.
    Also I think that "150" minutes will get me about 80 high res
    pictures.

    -Sean

    Sean, Feb 5, 2004

  3. John Doe

    Harvey Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question about the battery packs most digitals use. I am in the

    market
    > for a digital camera, and the ones I like the most have the rechargeable
    > battery packs. I am taking a trip in a few months, and a portion of it

    will be
    > without reliable electricity for nearly 2 weeks. If I were to buy extra

    battery
    > packs, and charge them before the trip, how long would they last? I'm sure

    they
    > would slowly discharge over time, but I think they would hold for the 3

    weeks
    > that I will be on the trip. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Todd

    Ni-MH AA cells are the most common rechargeables for digital cameras. They
    self-discharge at a rate of about 1% per day. After two weeks they would be
    down about 13%. To be safe take along some alkalines and lithiums.
    Expensive but worth it. You can find AA cells in remote places where you
    are not likely to find proprietary batteries, so avoid cameras with those
    proprietary types. For about $100 you can get a solar charger setup. See
    http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-04062
    Harvey, Feb 5, 2004
  4. John Doe

    Guest

    On 05 Feb 2004 03:20:45 GMT, (John Doe) wrote:

    >I have a question about the battery packs most digitals use. I am in the market
    >for a digital camera, and the ones I like the most have the rechargeable
    >battery packs. I am taking a trip in a few months, and a portion of it will be
    >without reliable electricity for nearly 2 weeks. If I were to buy extra battery
    >packs, and charge them before the trip, how long would they last? I'm sure they
    >would slowly discharge over time, but I think they would hold for the 3 weeks
    >that I will be on the trip. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Todd

    I've put the BP-511 Li-Ion batteries on charge for my Canon G5 that
    have been sat in my bag for a month or more to top them up before use,
    and found them charging for a matter of a minute or less, if you can
    call that charging. They have exceptional life too. The G3, G5 and 10D
    take these.

    MJ
    , Feb 5, 2004
  5. John Doe

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > I have a question about the battery packs most digitals use. I am in the market
    > for a digital camera, and the ones I like the most have the rechargeable
    > battery packs. I am taking a trip in a few months, and a portion of it will be
    > without reliable electricity for nearly 2 weeks. If I were to buy extra battery
    > packs, and charge them before the trip, how long would they last? I'm sure they
    > would slowly discharge over time, but I think they would hold for the 3 weeks
    > that I will be on the trip. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Todd

    Rechargeable NIMH batteries would lose up to 30% of their charge in 3
    weeks, which shouldn't be a major concern. Lithium Ion batteries would
    lose much less.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2004
  6. John Doe

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > > Todd

    > Rechargeable NIMH batteries would lose up to 30% of their charge in 3
    > weeks, which shouldn't be a major concern. Lithium Ion batteries would
    > lose much less.

    I use Canon A series at work and use 2100 mA hour Nimh cells. When the
    camera reports low power I pop in the 'fresh' set and put the old set on
    charge. It's generally about 4 weeks between changes and I suppose I take a
    few pictures several times a week (over half with the flash). If I had to
    estimate it then I would say I get 4 to 5 hours of use from what I call a
    fresh set of cells, in reality they are sat in the draw for 4 weeks after
    charging. So a real fresh set should get me 6 hours or so - if only I knew
    when to freshly charge them. Does the output voltage of the cell drop as
    they discharge in the draw?

    If I were going somewhere with no electricity for 2 weeks (shudder) I would
    probably take 3 sets of freshly charged AA Nimh cells - should give me a
    good 15 hours of power. I pay £7.00 ( around 12 dollars at the moment) for a
    set - a lot less than a solar charger but, of course, less certain.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Feb 5, 2004
  7. John Doe

    imbsysop Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message

    > > > Todd

    > > Rechargeable NIMH batteries would lose up to 30% of their charge in 3
    > > weeks, which shouldn't be a major concern. Lithium Ion batteries would
    > > lose much less.

    snip
    > If I were going somewhere with no electricity for 2 weeks (shudder) I

    would
    > probably take 3 sets of freshly charged AA Nimh cells - should give me a
    > good 15 hours of power...

    with a dayly self discharge (at no load!) of 1-2% for NiMH this may only be
    true the first day :) and only if one uses the highes capacity batteries
    available ..
    imbsysop, Feb 5, 2004
  8. John Doe

    Chris Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question about the battery packs most digitals use. I am in the

    market
    > for a digital camera, and the ones I like the most have the rechargeable
    > battery packs. I am taking a trip in a few months, and a portion of it

    will be
    > without reliable electricity for nearly 2 weeks. If I were to buy extra

    battery
    > packs, and charge them before the trip, how long would they last? I'm sure

    they
    > would slowly discharge over time, but I think they would hold for the 3

    weeks
    > that I will be on the trip. Does anyone have any experience with this?

    While battery options are up to you, I'd avoid the battery packs, and I do.
    I was going to purchase a Sony Cyber-Shot afew months ago, until I found a
    TON of reviews concerning Sony's problem with their recharging batteries.
    Maybe it's just the one model, but I figure if you buy new batteries as
    needed, rather than relying on a battery pack, you'll have more options.

    I like electronics that take widely available batteries, such as AA or AAA.
    That way, they're relatively cheap, plentiful, and you get a new battery
    instead of counting recharges until your pack is less than useful.
    Chris, Feb 5, 2004