    verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    4.7 GB object to burn?

    Raxxy, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Raxxy" <> wrote in message
    news:94C59F94BC10C628D1@64.62.191.95...
    > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    >
    > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    >
    > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    > 4.7 GB object to burn?

    Nope, you've pretty much got it. Put aside a day or two for this tedious
    task (I've been there and done that). ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Raxxy

    Non Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:41:14 +0100, Raxxy <> wrote:

    >Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    >considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    >
    >Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    >it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    >
    >I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    >would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    >player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    >verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    >other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    >4.7 GB object to burn?

    If you can find good quality 8x media that is recognized at 8x by your
    drive... burning at 8x will take about 8.5-9 minutes per disk. I
    wouldn't recommend burning at 8x with 4x media however, if you want
    the disks to last.

    Non, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Raxxy

    Chuck Guest

    get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

    Chuck, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Raxxy

    mrbingley Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    :: get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

    Do they still sell hard disks that small ?

    Chris ;-)

    mrbingley, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Raxxy

    Joe Hayes Guest

    No, the smallest you can get is 40GB.

    Joe Hayes, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Raxxy

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

    Raxxy wrote:

    > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    >
    > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    >
    > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    > 4.7 GB object to burn?

    4.7G = 4.7*1000**3 = 4.3*1024**3 = 4.3G

    smh, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Raxxy

    Martin S. Guest

    In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    Martin S., Apr 9, 2004
  9. Raxxy

    rwright Guest

    "Raxxy" <> wrote in message
    > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    >
    > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    >
    > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    > 4.7 GB object to burn?

    My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even then
    you won't have a good DVD.
    Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

    rwright, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Raxxy

    Chuck Guest

    > "Raxxy" <> wrote in message
    > > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    > > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    > >
    > > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    > > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    > >
    > > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    > > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    > > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    > > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    > > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    > > 4.7 GB object to burn?
    > >

    > My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even

    then
    > you won't have a good DVD.
    > Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

    What the hell are you talking about ????

    Chuck, Apr 9, 2004
  11. Raxxy

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    > In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    It is even worse than that. For the DVD, it is 1 billion bytes which is
    even less than 1000 MB

    Mark Jones, Apr 9, 2004
  12. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "rwright" <> wrote in message

    > "Raxxy" <> wrote in message
    > > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
    > > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
    > >
    > > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
    > > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
    > >
    > > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
    > > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
    > > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
    > > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
    > > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
    > > 4.7 GB object to burn?

    > My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even

    then
    > you won't have a good DVD.
    > Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

    To backup computer files? Your experience must have been exceptionally bad,
    which may or may not have been your fault.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004
  13. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    > In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.

    8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    number pi also different on DVD? ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004
  14. Raxxy

    Lordy Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700, Mike Kohary wrote:

    > "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    >> In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    > You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    > the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    >
    > 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    > Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    > number pi also different on DVD? ;)
    >
    > Mike

    The latin prefixes Kilo, mega, milli etc have well established meanings in
    the scientific world based on powers of 10. They are different in the PC
    world when measuring memory. Discuss...

    Lordy

    Lordy, Apr 9, 2004
  15. Raxxy

    TCS Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >"Martin S." <> wrote in message
    >> In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    >You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    >the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.

    >8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte.

    1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte
    1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
    > 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    >Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    >number pi also different on DVD? ;)

    Lazy programmers use powers of two, 1GB=2^30
    Marketers wanting high numbers use powers of ten, 1GB=10^9

    TCS, Apr 9, 2004
  16. Raxxy

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700]:
    > "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    >> In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    > You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    > the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    >
    > 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    > Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    > number pi also different on DVD? ;)

    In the Hard Drive world, 1000 bytes = 1 megabyte, why would DVDs be
    different?

    Justin, Apr 9, 2004
  17. Raxxy

    TCS Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:14:57 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >Mike Kohary wrote on [Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700]:
    >> "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    >>> In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    >> You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    >> the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    >>
    >> 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    >> Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    >> number pi also different on DVD? ;)
    >>

    >In the Hard Drive world, 1000 bytes = 1 megabyte, why would DVDs be
    >different?

    In the HD world, 1 megabyte=1000000 bytes

    TCS, Apr 9, 2004
  18. Raxxy

    Justin Guest

    TCS wrote on [Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:30:10 -0500]:
    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:14:57 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >>Mike Kohary wrote on [Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700]:
    >>> "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but in
    >>> the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    >>>
    >>> 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    >>> Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    >>> number pi also different on DVD? ;)
    >>>

    >>In the Hard Drive world, 1000 bytes = 1 megabyte, why would DVDs be
    >>different?

    > In the HD world, 1 megabyte=1000000 bytes

    doh. Yeah. Too little coffee this morning.

    Justin, Apr 9, 2004
  19. "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    > > In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    > You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4, but

    in
    > the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    >
    > 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    > Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is the
    > number pi also different on DVD? ;)
    >
    > Mike

    http://pcguide.com/intro/fun/bindec.htm

    timothynadeau

    timothynadeau, Apr 9, 2004
  20. Raxxy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Lordy" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:26:06 -0700, Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    > > "Martin S." <> wrote in message
    > >> In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

    > > You sure about that? That's like saying in the algebra world, 2+2=4,

    but in
    > > the geometry world, 2+2=4.5.
    > >
    > > 8 bits = 1 byte. 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte. 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte.
    > > Those numbers are mathematically derived, not arbitrarily chosen. Is

    the
    > > number pi also different on DVD? ;)
    > >
    > > Mike

    > The latin prefixes Kilo, mega, milli etc have well established meanings in
    > the scientific world based on powers of 10. They are different in the PC
    > world when measuring memory. Discuss...

    You are correct. They are slightly different when applied to binary
    language for reasons of binary structure. Since there are no prefixes that
    mean "1024", these prefixes are considered "close enough". This is a
    well-established and accepted convention. Though I suppose it could be true
    and I just haven't heard about it, I highly doubt that DVDs (which are
    simply another digital storage medium and store the same bits and bytes as
    any other disk) are exempt from this nomenclature. Feel free to either
    prove me wrong with a reference, or let me know that I took the hook. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 9, 2004