    and Windows 98SE. 10 hours seems ridiculous to defrag this big a drive.
    Is this normal, or are there alternatives?
    , Sep 10, 2003

  2. riz Guest

    When was the last time you defragged?

    riz, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Guest

    I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    thinking though.

  4. mdp Guest

    Did you use Windows defrag. I've had similar experience with MS' defrag and now use Norton's defrag. It's very fast compared to
    MS'. Even for a heavily defragmented drive, it should complete in under an hour, sometimes much faster.

    --
    Please de-spam my address if replying to me

    mdp, Sep 10, 2003
  5. trout Guest

    wrote:

    > I ran defrag overnight, as I know it usually takes a while. I started
    > it in safe mode at 1130 PM just before I went to work. I got home
    > around 8 AM, and it was only 81% complete. It ended up taking about
    > 10 hours to defrag a 20Gb partition which has about 8Gb free. I'm
    > running a P3 1Ghz processor, 512 Mb RAM, a WD 80 Gb hard drive in
    > four equal partitions and Windows 98SE. 10 hours seems ridiculous to
    > defrag this big a drive. Is this normal, or are there alternatives?

    Try the tips here:
    ┬░Mike┬░'s defrag page: <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>
    --
    "He must be recharging his battery."
    trout, Sep 10, 2003
  6. miss calm Guest

    "[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:58:01 -0400, wrote:
    >
    > >I ran defrag overnight, as I know it usually takes a while. I started it
    > >in safe mode at 1130 PM just before I went to work. I got home around 8
    > >AM, and it was only 81% complete. It ended up taking about 10 hours to
    > >defrag a 20Gb partition which has about 8Gb free. I'm running a P3 1Ghz
    > >processor, 512 Mb RAM, a WD 80 Gb hard drive in four equal partitions
    > >and Windows 98SE. 10 hours seems ridiculous to defrag this big a drive.
    > >Is this normal, or are there alternatives?

    I am no expert but I just had my PC upgraded and the Defrag ran in twenty
    minutes. Now that I have fully loaded it with programs it has slowed down
    and I believe it is because one of my programs (AV or firewall or other)
    keeps becoming active every five minutes or so. Once this happens (Its
    called "writing to the drive.") the whole thing has to restart again and
    again.
    Now the question is, is your Defrag very very slow or is it constantly
    restarting?

    miss calm, Sep 10, 2003
  7. miss calm Guest

    "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    > "miss calm" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in message

    > got

    > taking

    > free.

    > drive

    > ridiculous

    > > I am no expert but I just had my PC upgraded and the Defrag ran in
    > > twenty minutes. Now that I have fully loaded it with programs it

    > has
    > > slowed down and I believe it is because one of my programs (AV or
    > > firewall or other) keeps becoming active every five minutes or so.
    > > Once this happens (Its called "writing to the drive.") the whole

    > thing
    > > has to restart again and again.
    > > Now the question is, is your Defrag very very slow or is it

    > constantly
    > > restarting?

    I meant to add that you can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete which will bring up a menu
    of running programmes. Close all these programmes except Systray and
    Outlook. That usually greatly speeds things up.

    miss calm, Sep 10, 2003
  8. wrote:

    > I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    > months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    > didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    > operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    > work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    > another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    > actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    > thinking though.
    >
    >>When was the last time you defragged?
    >>
    >> wrote in message ...
    >>>I ran defrag overnight, as I know it usually takes a while. I started it
    >>>in safe mode at 1130 PM just before I went to work. I got home around 8
    >>>AM, and it was only 81% complete.

    You may have forgotten that the Internet cache, which includes all the
    graphic widgets that are part of web pages you download, is probably stored
    on that c: drive, and that this file is constantly turning over--therefore,
    it really garbages up the drive.

    Try defragging in another week. If it takes less than an hour, stretch the
    interval to two weeks; otherwise, you've discovered the optimum interval.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 10, 2003
  9. [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 11, 2003
  10. Fokker Guest

    Fokker, Sep 11, 2003
  11. miss calm Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I always run Defrag in Windows Safe Mode rather than closing all
    > programs running in the background. This way I know for sure that
    > there's nothing else running.

    Hey that sound like a good idea. I must try it.

    miss calm, Sep 11, 2003
  12. miss calm Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I run Norton Clean Sweep a couple times a week, as well as Easy Cleaner
    > to clean out my registry of unnecessary junk. This should clean out the
    > temporary files, right?

    I think washers like Norton (Utilities) are very useful and their Win/Disk
    Docor (On the same CD) helps to keep the machine running smoothly.

    miss calm, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Clean out your temp files.

    You can also clean up your Internet brower. Go to start, settings, control
    panel (click), Double click on Internet Options. Gerneral tap, you will see
    Delete files click and check box about all offline content if you have it,
    click OK. If you have delete cookies, click on it then click OK.
    Click on Clear History, then click yes.
    Note: this will clean out all pass words, and internet addresses your
    browers has in it. But in may run faster after you clean it out and defrag.

    Click on Advanced tab, spool down to Security then check the Empty Temporary
    Internet File folders when browser is closed then click OK. This will help
    empty the folders, but you must close IE.

    Then Defrag. This will help your defrag and computer speed.

    Fred Sherrill, Sep 11, 2003
  14. Boomer Guest

    Fred Sherrill said:

    > Clean out your temp files.
    >
    > You can also clean up your Internet brower. Go to start,
    > settings, control panel (click), Double click on Internet
    > Options. Gerneral tap, you will see Delete files click and check
    > box about all offline content if you have it, click OK. If you
    > have delete cookies, click on it then click OK. Click on Clear
    > History, then click yes. Note: this will clean out all pass
    > words, and internet addresses your browers has in it. But in may
    > run faster after you clean it out and defrag.
    >
    > Click on Advanced tab, spool down to Security then check the
    > Empty Temporary Internet File folders when browser is closed
    > then click OK. This will help empty the folders, but you must
    > close IE.
    >
    > Then Defrag. This will help your defrag and computer speed.
    >
    > "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message

    Why tell Gary G. Taylor this?

    Boomer, Sep 11, 2003
  15. Guest

    I always run Defrag in Windows Safe Mode rather than closing all
    programs running in the background. This way I know for sure that
    there's nothing else running.

    >"[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:58:01 -0400, wrote:
    >>
    >> >I ran defrag overnight, as I know it usually takes a while. I started it
    >> >in safe mode at 1130 PM just before I went to work. I got home around 8
    >> >AM, and it was only 81% complete. It ended up taking about 10 hours to
    >> >defrag a 20Gb partition which has about 8Gb free. I'm running a P3 1Ghz
    >> >processor, 512 Mb RAM, a WD 80 Gb hard drive in four equal partitions
    >> >and Windows 98SE. 10 hours seems ridiculous to defrag this big a drive.
    >> >Is this normal, or are there alternatives?

    >I am no expert but I just had my PC upgraded and the Defrag ran in twenty
    >minutes. Now that I have fully loaded it with programs it has slowed down
    >and I believe it is because one of my programs (AV or firewall or other)
    >keeps becoming active every five minutes or so. Once this happens (Its
    >called "writing to the drive.") the whole thing has to restart again and
    >again.
    >Now the question is, is your Defrag very very slow or is it constantly
    >restarting?

    >> Pick up the defrag.exe from Windows Millennium. It's MUCH faster than
    >> the stock one in Win98/SE.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
    >> If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
    >> about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

    , Sep 11, 2003
  16. Guest

    I run Norton Clean Sweep a couple times a week, as well as Easy Cleaner
    to clean out my registry of unnecessary junk. This should clean out the
    temporary files, right?

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    >> months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    >> didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    >> operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    >> work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    >> another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    >> actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    >> thinking though.
    >>
    >>>When was the last time you defragged?

    >You may have forgotten that the Internet cache, which includes all the
    >graphic widgets that are part of web pages you download, is probably stored
    >on that c: drive, and that this file is constantly turning over--therefore,
    >it really garbages up the drive.
    >
    >Try defragging in another week. If it takes less than an hour, stretch the
    >interval to two weeks; otherwise, you've discovered the optimum interval.
    >Lather, rinse, repeat.
    , Sep 11, 2003
  17. Guest

    I use Netscape instead of Internet Explorer. Are all these settings, and
    clean out procedures strictly for IE?
    >Clean out your temp files.
    >
    >You can also clean up your Internet brower. Go to start, settings, control
    >panel (click), Double click on Internet Options. Gerneral tap, you will see
    >Delete files click and check box about all offline content if you have it,
    >click OK. If you have delete cookies, click on it then click OK.
    >Click on Clear History, then click yes.
    >Note: this will clean out all pass words, and internet addresses your
    >browers has in it. But in may run faster after you clean it out and defrag.
    >
    >Click on Advanced tab, spool down to Security then check the Empty Temporary
    >Internet File folders when browser is closed then click OK. This will help
    >empty the folders, but you must close IE.
    >
    >Then Defrag. This will help your defrag and computer speed.
    >
    >"Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    >> > months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    >> > didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    >> > operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    >> > work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    >> > another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    >> > actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    >> > thinking though.

    >it

    >> You may have forgotten that the Internet cache, which includes all the
    >> graphic widgets that are part of web pages you download, is probably

    >stored
    >> on that c: drive, and that this file is constantly turning

    >over--therefore,
    >> it really garbages up the drive.
    >>
    >> Try defragging in another week. If it takes less than an hour, stretch the
    >> interval to two weeks; otherwise, you've discovered the optimum interval.
    >> Lather, rinse, repeat.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    >> gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
    >> "The two most abundant things in the universe
    >> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

    , Sep 11, 2003
  18. Guest

    Not long on WIN98SE if you use the WinME defrag tool
    available here - D/L and follow instructions
    http://www.comp-solve.com/defrag.htm

    cheers jrm

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:32:44 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I don't remember exactly, but it's been a while, like a couple of
    >> months. If that's the problem, I accept the responsibility! I just
    >> didn't know why it would take that long. One point though, although my
    >> operating system is obviously on this C drive I defragged, most of the
    >> work I do, especially when it comes to adding and deleting files, is on
    >> another partition, so I wouldn't have thought a lot of things are
    >> actually moved around on the C drive. I could be all wrong in that
    >> thinking though.
    >>
    >>>When was the last time you defragged?

    >You may have forgotten that the Internet cache, which includes all the
    >graphic widgets that are part of web pages you download, is probably stored
    >on that c: drive, and that this file is constantly turning over--therefore,
    >it really garbages up the drive.
    >
    >Try defragging in another week. If it takes less than an hour, stretch the
    >interval to two weeks; otherwise, you've discovered the optimum interval.
    >Lather, rinse, repeat.
    , Sep 11, 2003