    it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    had thrown it out.
    How long are they required hold on to old components ?
    Ed, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Ed

    Ghostrider Guest

    Ed wrote:

    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    If you had failed to ask for the part to be returned to you
    when the servicing was completed and paid for, then you have
    lost the part. There is no requirement for the part to be kept
    for any length of time.
    Ghostrider, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Ed

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    Specifically, they are not "Required" to do anything you didn't contract
    for.

    When they installed the new drive, did you ask that they migrate all
    data to the new drive? If so, you don't need the old drive.

    In general, all junk parts should be tossed every day.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Ed

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ed spewed forth:
    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to
    > rereieve the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old
    > data on it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they
    > told me they had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    How long did it take you to get off the driveway? That's about it.

    I have a personal policy that if an item is in working order, I'll hold on
    to it for about two weeks before 1) re-using it elsewhere, 2) if it's
    totally obsolete, dumping it. But don't expect to get a part back from me
    either, working or not. Because part of my low-price service comes from
    re-selling the used parts <g>

    --
    I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
    alphabetical order, just like it should be.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Ed

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Ed" <> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
    @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal data
    on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from your drive.
    So, you should be really pissed off.

    HTH

    Jerry Attic, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Jerry Attic wrote:
    > "Ed" <> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
    > @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >

    >>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    >>the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    >>it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    >>had thrown it out.
    >>How long are they required hold on to old components ?
    >>

    > Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal data
    > on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from your drive.
    > So, you should be really pissed off.

    You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
    customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
    sniffing around my shop looking for a job.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Ed

    Top Guest

    Rôgêr submitted this idea :
    > Jerry Attic wrote:

    >> Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any
    >> personal data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could
    >> retrieve it from your drive.
    >> So, you should be really pissed off.

    > You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives
    > until customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you
    > ever come sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

    Or a hard drive!

    Top
    Top, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Ed

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 20 Jun 2006 16:25:22 -0700, an entity identified as "Ed"
    <> proudly proclaimed:

    >I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    >the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    >it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    >had thrown it out.
    >How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    I'm a jeweler.
    I wish I could hold on to "old parts" like gold and diamonds.
    I always give back the old parts I remove.
    I wouldn't do business with *any* kind of company that didn't at least
    offer.

    --

    Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
    Frosty, Jun 21, 2006
  9. Ed

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Rôgêr <> said in

    > Jerry Attic wrote:
    >> "Ed" <> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
    >> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >>

    >>>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to
    >>>rereieve the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old
    >>>data on it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they
    >>>told me they had thrown it out.
    >>>How long are they required hold on to old components ?
    >>>

    >> Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal
    >> data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from
    >> your drive. So, you should be really pissed off.

    > You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
    > customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
    > sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

    I read it too quickly. However, with identity theft rampant today, they
    should've given it to him when he took the system home. If it was my shop
    and he didn't want it, I would've smashed the drive with a hammer, then
    tossed it. Case in point, I bought a bunch of used drives from a shop once
    for a project of mine and you wouldn't believe the stuff I found on them.
    There. Neener.

    Jerry Attic, Jun 21, 2006
  10. Jerry Attic wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> said in
    >

    >>Jerry Attic wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ed" <> said in news:1150845922.737179.248790
    >>>@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    >>>Till you tell them to throw it away. Really, if you had any personal
    >>>data on that hard drive, just about any idiot could retrieve it from
    >>>your drive. So, you should be really pissed off.

    >>You think comp repair shops should hold on to old hard drives until
    >>customers give them a directive on what to do? Don't you ever come
    >>sniffing around my shop looking for a job.

    > I read it too quickly. However, with identity theft rampant today, they
    > should've given it to him when he took the system home. If it was my shop
    > and he didn't want it, I would've smashed the drive with a hammer, then
    > tossed it. Case in point, I bought a bunch of used drives from a shop once
    > for a project of mine and you wouldn't believe the stuff I found on them.
    > There. Neener.

    Err... I have a shop. Yes, I'd believe it. Name the flavor or porn, I've
    seen it all. I've even had customers ask me to back up their porn
    collection before formatting and reinstalling. Talk about kinky stuff.
    I've never had anyone arrested, but some stuff was awfully close to
    having the sheriff make the decision.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 21, 2006
  11. Ed

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    We bin old stuff as soon as you've paid and picked up - we're not a storage
    wharehouse.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 21, 2006
  12. Ed mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    *Required* to hold it? No longer than 3.2 seconds, or the time it takes to
    pitch it in the trash, whichever is shorter.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I used to like political jokes until so many of them got elected.
    The Old Sourdough, Jun 21, 2006
  13. On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:25:22 -0700, Ed wrote:

    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on it. I
    > went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they had
    > thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    They can toss it in the shit can as soon as it's removed from your PC.

    Chuck Lysaght, Jun 21, 2006
  14. Ed

    Carol2 Guest

    "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    A few months ago, I had my PC into a local shop to repair a few problems
    & to replace a bad CD-RW. They insisted on sending the RW home with me.
    I had to chuck it into the trash, myself. LOL I suppose that keeps
    their garbage rates lower. 8^)

    Carol2
    Carol2, Jun 22, 2006
  15. Ed

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Carol2 spewed forth:
    > "Ed" <> wrote in message
    >> I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to
    >> rereieve the old one just in case I was going to use some of the
    >> old data on it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and
    >> they told me they had thrown it out.
    >> How long are they required hold on to old components ?
    >>

    > A few months ago, I had my PC into a local shop to repair a few
    > problems & to replace a bad CD-RW. They insisted on sending the RW
    > home with me. I had to chuck it into the trash, myself. LOL I
    > suppose that keeps their garbage rates lower. 8^)
    >
    > Carol2

    Part of that may be local codes about disposal of electronics components. I
    know that we are not allowed to toss this kind of thing in the trash at
    work, because we come under the hazardous waste disposal regulations for our
    state, and it doesn't take much circuitry to put us over our current limits.

    However, as a homeowner, I have no such restrictions because I'm not
    operating a business dealing with possible hazardous materials. So I could
    see sending the useless parts home with someone to toss in their own trash
    <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 22, 2006
  16. Ed

    Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    > the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    > it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    > had thrown it out.
    > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    I don't know what the law says. But when a customer asks
    me to replace a *working* major component, I give the old
    one back to him unless he specifically says that he doesn't
    want it. Even if the drive is dead, I'd still ask him if he
    wants it back (minor parts like a broken IDE cable would be
    different). I consider it a simple matter of good business
    ethics and courtesy. After all, it's still his property.
    , Jun 22, 2006
  17. wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    >
    >>I dropped off a pcto get a new hard disk installed, I meant to rereieve
    >>the old one just in case I was going to use some of the old data on
    >>it. I went back a few weeks later to retrieve it and they told me they
    >>had thrown it out.
    >>How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    > I don't know what the law says. But when a customer asks
    > me to replace a *working* major component, I give the old
    > one back to him unless he specifically says that he doesn't
    > want it. Even if the drive is dead, I'd still ask him if he
    > wants it back (minor parts like a broken IDE cable would be
    > different). I consider it a simple matter of good business
    > ethics and courtesy. After all, it's still his property.

    That's very reasonable. However, this guy thinks that the shop should
    hold onto all used parts forever until the customer asks for it back or
    says throw it away.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2006
  18. Mara wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:18:51 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >>That's very reasonable. However, this guy thinks that the shop should
    >>hold onto all used parts forever until the customer asks for it back or
    >>says throw it away.

    > Where would we keep all those parts? Is he going to pay for storage for them?
    >
    > I too ask the client if he or she wants his old parts back. If they do they get
    > them. If not, they either go into the trash or are disassembled into what
    > useable parts are left.
    >
    > "I don't have the time, inclination, or room to save everything."

    I actually had a customer "forget" to come claim their repaired
    computer. I mean, like for a year or two. I finally parted it out. Then
    guess who took up the "I've been ripped off!" stance. I told them "take
    me to court, whatever the judge says I owe you, I'll pay it." Not heard
    any more from them.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 22, 2006
  19. Mara mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > Where would we keep all those parts? Is he going to pay for storage
    > for them?
    >
    > I too ask the client if he or she wants his old parts back. If they do
    > they get them. If not, they either go into the trash or are
    > disassembled into what useable parts are left.
    >
    > "I don't have the time, inclination, or room to save everything."

    I can just see my local tire shop hanging on to a few thousand old, used
    tires until the customer decides what he wants to do with 'em.

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 22, 2006
  20. Ed

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > How long are they required hold on to old components ?

    > How long did it take you to get off the driveway? That's about it.
    >
    > I have a personal policy that if an item is in working order, I'll hold on
    > to it for about two weeks before 1) re-using it elsewhere, 2) if it's

    I have the same policy. For the same reasons as you. eg sometimes the
    customer calls back in a week and says they want some files. Hardly ever
    happens, but 2 weeks is a good time frame.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 22, 2006