    Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    per film. This is outrageous.
    What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    Scrounge, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Scrounge wrote:

    > Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    > per film. This is outrageous.
    > What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    Using DvdShrink and a disc that doesn't require any
    compresison rips in about 20 something minutes. The
    burn takes about 13-15 mins on my old 4x, 6 mins at
    8x and haven't tried the 16x mode yet.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Scrounge

    Large Farva Guest

    "Scrounge" <> wrote in message
    > Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    > per film. This is outrageous.
    > What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    More outrageous than you stealing movies and then bitching about how long it
    takes to copy them? Shut the **** up.

    Large Farva, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Scrounge

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:57:07 GMT, Scrounge <>
    wrote:

    >Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    >per film. This is outrageous.
    >What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    Often under 15 minutes to rip the entire dual layer disc (under 5
    minute for single layer), some time to re-encode to lower bitrate, and
    finally 15-30 minutes to burn a copy on DVD+R or under 5 minute for
    VCD on CD-R. 1 to 1.5 hours sounds reasonable on some really long
    films but if it's the short films then you got something going on...

    A few things that could slow you down:

    #1 some DVD-ROM are locked and won't run at high speed for ripping
    even if they are advertised as 16x. Usually those drives maxes out at
    2-4x. You need to find certain brand of DVD-ROM and use hack to
    unlock it. I get as high as 10-12x on Lite-On DVD-ROM with single
    layer, and 6-8x on dual.

    #2 slow CPU, tiny hard drive, tiny RAM, or lots of background tasks
    could hurt the speed of conversion. My PC is 2.4GHz P4 (OC'ed to
    3GHz), 1.5GB RAM, and 1 TB worth of hard drives.

    #3 older 4x or slower DVD burner often run very slowly if you use 8X
    or faster DVD-/+R; if it works at all. Check and update firmware so
    your burner can properly burn newer DVD blanks (won't run at 8x or
    faster) I have HP 300i and when I first tried the 8x blank, it only
    burned at max of 2.4x but after I did the firmware update I was able
    to burn at the drive's max 4x speed.

    If none of the above helps you might want to check out
    www.videohelp.com and check the guides and the forum. It is possible
    you are already at max speed and can't go faster unless you upgrade to
    faster computer and faster DVD burner.

    Impmon, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Scrounge

    Justin Guest

    Scrounge wrote on [Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:57:07 GMT]:
    > Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    > per film. This is outrageous.
    > What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    That's pretty normal to steal a movie.

    Justin, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Scrounge

    Richard C. Guest

    "Scrounge" <> wrote in message
    > Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    > per film. This is outrageous.
    > What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    =============================
    I use the program where I go and BUY the DVD.
    It usually takes 1.5 hours to 2.1 hours to watch the film.

    Richard C., Jul 12, 2005
  7. Scrounge

    Jay C Guest

    Scrounge wrote:
    > Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    > per film. This is outrageous.
    > What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    Please do not make illegal copies of copyrighted materials.

    Jay C, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Scrounge

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Jay C" <> wrote in message
    > Scrounge wrote:
    >> Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    >> per film. This is outrageous.
    >> What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    > Please do not make illegal copies of copyrighted materials

    <sigh>
    Reminds me of the fanatics who stand outside of Planned Parenthood
    offices and scream at young women on their way in, saying, "Please don't
    kill your baby!"
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Scrounge

    Jay C Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Jay C" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Scrounge wrote:
    >>
    >>>Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    >>>per film. This is outrageous.
    >>>What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    >>Please do not make illegal copies of copyrighted materials

    > <sigh>
    > Reminds me of the fanatics who stand outside of Planned Parenthood
    > offices and scream at young women on their way in, saying, "Please don't
    > kill your baby!"

    Well, I'm right to say it, and it's the right thing to do. Copying
    movies instead of buying them is STEALING. Performance artists and
    studios are having money taken from them each time an illegal copy is
    made. As far as I'm concerned making an illegal copy of a rental DVD or
    one borrowed from someone else is just as immoral as shoplifting a copy
    from the store. If you want to own a copy of a DVD movie, you need to
    BUY it, not steal it by burning a copy.

    Jay C, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Scrounge

    Robin Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message

    > "Scrounge" <> wrote in message
    >> Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour
    >> to 1.5 hours
    >> per film. This is outrageous.
    >> What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    > More outrageous than you stealing movies and then bitching
    > about how long it takes to copy them? Shut the **** up.

    Or more outrageous than you ASSuming that is what he is
    doing? He may be converting the DVD's he OWNS to a computer
    file for ease of use in his home theatre network. Every TV
    and stereo in my home is connected to my PC. Sometimes it
    is nice to scroll my movie collection via RC and just kick
    back and watch a flick in my bedroom or gameroom without
    going to the theater room to grab the DVD. Sure the quality
    is not QUITE as good, but when that concerns me I watch in
    the HT room.

    When movie companies wake up and give customers the quality
    digital files they want, DVD ripping programs won't be
    necessary.

    Robin, Jul 14, 2005
  11. Scrounge

    Jay C Guest

    Robin wrote:
    > "Large Farva" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Scrounge" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour
    >>>to 1.5 hours
    >>>per film. This is outrageous.
    >>>What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    >>More outrageous than you stealing movies and then bitching
    >>about how long it takes to copy them? Shut the **** up.
    >>

    > Or more outrageous than you ASSuming that is what he is
    > doing? He may be converting the DVD's he OWNS to a computer
    > file for ease of use in his home theatre network. Every TV
    > and stereo in my home is connected to my PC. Sometimes it
    > is nice to scroll my movie collection via RC and just kick
    > back and watch a flick in my bedroom or gameroom without
    > going to the theater room to grab the DVD. Sure the quality
    > is not QUITE as good, but when that concerns me I watch in
    > the HT room.
    >
    > When movie companies wake up and give customers the quality
    > digital files they want, DVD ripping programs won't be
    > necessary.

    You just can't grasp the concept of copyright laws, can you?

    Jay C, Jul 14, 2005
  12. Scrounge

    Robin Guest

    "Jay C" <> wrote in message
    > Robin wrote:
    >> "Large Farva" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Scrounge" <> wrote in message

    >>>More outrageous than you stealing movies and then
    >>>bitching about how long it takes to copy them? Shut the
    >>>**** up.
    >>>

    >> Or more outrageous than you ASSuming that is what he is
    >> doing? He may be converting the DVD's he OWNS to a
    >> computer file for ease of use in his home theatre
    >> network. Every TV and stereo in my home is connected to
    >> my PC. Sometimes it is nice to scroll my movie
    >> collection via RC and just kick back and watch a flick in
    >> my bedroom or gameroom without going to the theater room
    >> to grab the DVD. Sure the quality is not QUITE as good,
    >> but when that concerns me I watch in the HT room.
    >>
    >> When movie companies wake up and give customers the
    >> quality digital files they want, DVD ripping programs
    >> won't be necessary.

    > You just can't grasp the concept of copyright laws, can
    > you?

    I can grasp what the movie industry has done to "fair use"
    and consumer rights. In days past, when you bought a music
    CD you could make copies for your own personal use. The CD
    itself was just the storage device, what you purchased was
    rights to use the music on them for your own personal use.
    The movie industry greedily wants to change that. Want a
    copy of the DVD you purchased to keep at your summer home?
    **** you, buy another one. Your kid scratches your
    original, **** you, pay us again. Screw the movie industry.
    If I purchase a DVD, I will use it in the manner that is
    most convenient for me.

    Robin, Jul 14, 2005
  13. Scrounge

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:42:39 GMT, Jay C <> wrote:

    >You just can't grasp the concept of copyright laws, can you?

    ou just can't understand the concept of backup and archival? I hope
    you have $10,000 burning in your pocket for when your hard drive goes
    south and you don't have any backups.

    I'd like to keep my DVD collection in good condition and last a long
    time. Playing only the backup is one of the easiest way to protect
    the originals.

    Impmon, Jul 14, 2005
  14. Scrounge

    Biz Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:42:39 GMT, Jay C <> wrote:
    >
    > >You just can't grasp the concept of copyright laws, can you?

    > ou just can't understand the concept of backup and archival? I hope
    > you have $10,000 burning in your pocket for when your hard drive goes
    > south and you don't have any backups.
    >
    > I'd like to keep my DVD collection in good condition and last a long
    > time. Playing only the backup is one of the easiest way to protect
    > the originals.

    Try the novel concept of just not damaging them in the 1st place. I've been
    an avid collector since 1997, NEVER a damaged disk. Its very easy to do.

    Biz, Jul 14, 2005
  15. Scrounge

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:28:39 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >Try the novel concept of just not damaging them in the 1st place. I've been
    >an avid collector since 1997, NEVER a damaged disk. Its very easy to do.

    Never had a little kids running around you? You never know. And a
    few DVD do go bad on its own, particularly the early dual layered DVDs
    due to improper glueing method at press plant. Also DVD player
    malfunction can ruin a DVD so unless you buy a new DVD player every
    once in a while you will eventually get a bad disk.

    Impmon, Jul 14, 2005
  16. Scrounge

    Robin Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:42:39 GMT, Jay C
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You just can't grasp the concept of copyright laws, can
    >> >you?

    >> ou just can't understand the concept of backup and
    >> archival? I hope
    >> you have $10,000 burning in your pocket for when your
    >> hard drive goes
    >> south and you don't have any backups.
    >>
    >> I'd like to keep my DVD collection in good condition and
    >> last a long
    >> time. Playing only the backup is one of the easiest way
    >> to protect
    >> the originals.

    > Try the novel concept of just not damaging them in the 1st
    > place. I've been
    > an avid collector since 1997, NEVER a damaged disk. Its
    > very easy to do.

    And what about the growing number of people who want to
    store their movies on their PC's for convenient use
    throughout their home? Do we just say "tough shit" to them
    because the movie industry is unwilling to keep up with
    technology?

    Robin, Jul 14, 2005
  17. Scrounge

    Biz Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Impmon" <> wrote in message

    > >> ou just can't understand the concept of backup and
    > >> archival? I hope
    > >> you have $10,000 burning in your pocket for when your
    > >> hard drive goes
    > >> south and you don't have any backups.
    > >>
    > >> I'd like to keep my DVD collection in good condition and
    > >> last a long
    > >> time. Playing only the backup is one of the easiest way
    > >> to protect
    > >> the originals.

    > > Try the novel concept of just not damaging them in the 1st
    > > place. I've been
    > > an avid collector since 1997, NEVER a damaged disk. Its
    > > very easy to do.
    > >

    > And what about the growing number of people who want to
    > store their movies on their PC's for convenient use
    > throughout their home? Do we just say "tough shit" to them
    > because the movie industry is unwilling to keep up with
    > technology?

    You're absolutely correct. I forgot about the fat lazy ficks who wont get
    up off their asses to change movies every 2 hours or so. By all means we
    should definitely pander to that bunch. My apologies to all.

    Biz, Jul 14, 2005
  18. Scrounge

    Robin Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Robin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Biz" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Impmon" <> wrote in message

    >> > Try the novel concept of just not damaging them in the
    >> > 1st
    >> > place. I've been
    >> > an avid collector since 1997, NEVER a damaged disk.
    >> > Its
    >> > very easy to do.
    >> >

    >> And what about the growing number of people who want to
    >> store their movies on their PC's for convenient use
    >> throughout their home? Do we just say "tough shit" to
    >> them
    >> because the movie industry is unwilling to keep up with
    >> technology?

    > You're absolutely correct. I forgot about the fat lazy
    > ficks who wont get
    > up off their asses to change movies every 2 hours or so.
    > By all means we
    > should definitely pander to that bunch. My apologies to
    > all.

    LOL, insult people who have more interest in modern
    technology than you do, rather than admit that the movie
    industry is missing out on this niche. Perhaps some people
    like having their movies in one small box rather than on ten
    ugly shelves on the wall. Perhaps you're just a judgmental
    old prick. I believe there is credence in both ideas.
    Speaking of lazy, are you that guy who can't walk ten yards
    to the cart return at the grocery store? I hate that guy.

    Robin, Jul 14, 2005
  19. Scrounge

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:55:14 GMT, Large Farva wrote:

    >Scrounge wrote:
    >
    >> Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    >> per film. This is outrageous.
    >> What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    >More outrageous than you stealing movies and then bitching about how long it
    >takes to copy them? Shut the **** up.

    Who says he's stealing anything, dummy? When I lend a movie out, I
    make a back-up onto a RW and lend that instead of the original.
    Perfectly legal, if you don't charge any money.

    Doonie, Jul 15, 2005
  20. Scrounge

    Doonie Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:58:25 -0700, FAQmeister wrote:

    >Jay C wrote:
    >
    >> Scrounge wrote:
    >>> Im using shrink dvd and dvd for free and Im doing 1 hour to 1.5 hours
    >>> per film. This is outrageous.
    >>> What programs and times is everyone else getting?

    >> Please do not make illegal copies of copyrighted materials

    ><sigh>
    >Reminds me of the fanatics who stand outside of Planned Parenthood
    >offices and scream at young women on their way in, saying, "Please don't
    >kill your baby!"

    Frickin' weirdos or what, eh? Babies.. DVDs.. Same thing.

    Doonie, Jul 15, 2005