    long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

    Thanks
    HC

    HC, Sep 10, 2005

  2. HC

    philo Guest

    "HC" <> wrote in message
    news:AvJUe.167805$wr.37449@clgrps12...
    > I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my PC. How
    > long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

    No problems with a 100' cable.
    Even though the thin, standard speaker wire will work...
    you may want to go with a slightly larger gauge such as #16 or #14 wire.
    The lower the number, the thicker the cable

    philo, Sep 11, 2005

  3. HC wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my
    > PC. How long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing
    > quality loss?
    >
    > Thanks
    > HC

    Depends on many things. Take a look at this PDF:

    www.procosound.com/downloads/Wire Guide.pdf

    and decide what you need/want.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 15 frowsy drag queens wake up after a night of drinking in your

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 11, 2005
  4. HC wrote:

    > I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my PC. How
    > long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

    If you have a amplifier in or near your PC, and passive speakers, no problem
    - except you should use a good thicker one especially if you won't be able
    to exchange it later without making your home a building site once again :)
    Now, for the usual "line out" and "active speakers" combo, you will want a
    low impedance output (should at least support headphones directly),
    shielded cables, and avoid laying them parallel to mains cabling.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 11, 2005