How is windows Vista ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nicole, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. Nicole

    Nicole Guest

    Nicole, Mar 26, 2007

  2. > Just wondering ?

    It's very sluggish, much like other new software that's on the market
    nowadays. It seems like software packages keep growing in size and
    demanding more memory, but they do the same basic tasks that the old
    versions did while running on older computers.

    Alexander Rogge, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Nicole

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Nicole wrote:
    > Just wondering ?

    It had a headache and a cold but its getting better.

    Thanks for asking.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Nicole

    meerkat Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Nicole wrote:
    >> Just wondering ?
    >>

    > It had a headache and a cold but its getting better.

    Probably caught a nasty virus then <g>.

    meerkat, Mar 27, 2007
  5. On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:48:31 -0400, wrote:

    > Just wondering ?

    Some US federal agencies have banned it:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17739772/

    As for other news, take your pick:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/vista_copying_bug/

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=212977&start=0&tag=nl.e138

    A demo of how to hack it with Office 2007:
    http://www.eeye.com/html/events/shows/EV20070404.html

    --
    "Like watching a slow
    train wreck"

    William Poaster, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Nicole

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:48:31 -0400, Nicole <> wrote:

    >Just wondering ?

    Combine the suckage of all the other MS operating systems, including Windows
    Millennium, and multiply that by 1000.

    --
    There's nothing in life so difficult that a Microsoft manual can't make it
    completely incomprehensible. -- Douglas Adams

    Mara, Mar 27, 2007
  7. Nicole

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:48:31 -0400, Nicole wrote:

    > Just wondering ?

    For some reason that got me thinking about an anecdote Cary Grant told
    once. A journalist was doing a feature on the actor and wanted to include
    his age in the article. She couldn't find reliable details on this so
    decided to send a telegram to Grant's publicist asking the question. Grant
    was in the publicist's office at the time and read the telegram which said:-
    "How old Cary Grant?".

    Grant sent a telegram back to the journalist saying:-
    "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?".

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Mar 27, 2007
  8. Nicole

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:48:31 -0400, wrote:

    > Just wondering ?

    It sucks.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Mar 27, 2007
  9. Nicole

    philo Guest

    said:-
    > "How old Cary Grant?".
    >
    > Grant sent a telegram back to the journalist saying:-
    > "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?".

    Not a great joke...but better than Vista

    philo, Mar 27, 2007
  10. > As for other news, take your pick:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/vista_copying_bug/

    I've had this problem with Windows Mill and Windows XP. It's
    particularly noticeable when trying to use FTP. It stalls after a few
    seconds and I can't even log out because Windows claims that it's "in
    the middle of a long operation" and wants me to cancel the stalled task,
    but I can't.

    Alexander Rogge, Mar 28, 2007
  11. Nicole

    PeeCee Guest

    <Nicole> wrote in message news:...
    > Just wondering ?

    Nicole

    PC #1: Athlon 64x2 3800+, Nvidea nForce 4 chipset, OB Video (later GE Force
    7600 GT) 2GB ram, 320GB Sata HD etc.

    Vista Ultimate installed without hanging.
    Several !'s in device manager like no no Game/Midi (can't remember exactly)
    Didn't install Motherboard drivers supplied on CD, went to Motherboard maker
    and downloaded 'Vista' drivers.
    All !'s fixed except the Game/Midi (said it was unsupported), a week later
    and still not 'supported'
    Other utilities from Motherboard CD installed OK.
    GEForce 7600GT Vista drivers downloaded straight from makers website,
    installed & ran OK.
    Utility program for adjusting Graphics card's settings (overclocking) locked
    up under Vista & removed.

    Printers (2) are on network print servers and the Vista Wizard didn't find
    them.
    The one using a generic parallel port network server remains undiscovered.
    The other (Canon iP5200R) found after installing 'Vista' drivers, but didn't
    display ink levels and complained the printer wasn't responding, it printed
    a test page OK though.

    AVG (latest version) installed OK (right click, run as administrator) some
    crashes of AVGs background programs, but fixed when Vista drivers installed
    for motherboard.
    Office 2000 wouldn't install from autorun installer had to fiddle with 'run
    as administrator)
    IrfanView, Acrobat Reader 8 installed just fine.

    Nero OEM suite wouldn't install Version 6.x I think (CD not to hand)
    Nero 7.8.5.0 Download installed OK, even InCD runs fine.
    Cyberlink DVD player needed a downloaded patch to work after install.
    Open Office V2.1 very happy to say just 'installed' no drama at all.

    PC #2 Core Duo E6300, Intel 965 chipset, GE Force 7300 GS, 1 GB Ram, 250GB
    SATA HD etc.

    Vista Premium preinstalled by assembler, no !'s in device manager, assembler
    admitted they are struggling to get the machines out without any !'s in
    Device manager.

    AVG, Acrobat Reader 8, Open Office 2.1 all installed without problem.
    My Documents, Emails, Address Book and Favourites from old Win 98 PC
    imported correctly.

    Canon BJC 1000 parallel port printer installed using Vista drivers, works as
    expected.

    Canon FB 630P parallel port scanner drivers not installed (didn't expect to
    find any drivers, so owner going to buy new)
    but scanner soft installed by running Canon setup.exe as administrator (Omni
    Page, Ulead Photo something, Canon Gear)

    Works 2000 Suite: Word wouldn't run reporting a write to registry error,
    reinstall as administrator, OK. Picture It Express crashes complaining of no
    memory (HD ?) but Publisher & almost all the rest of Works appeared to run
    fine.
    One big problem though was WKSCAL.exe (Works Calendar, runs in background)
    consuming 50% of CPU at idle.
    Made PC very slow, just used Autoruns to disable it.

    Encarta 2000, Arthur (EA), Oxford Encyclopedia and some 6 other Win 98 era
    games would not install.
    Educational (maths etc) of recent vintage installed ok but one game would
    not respond to keyboard/mouse input.

    Minda Link (for those not in NZ it's a firebird data base for tracking
    details of Dairy Cattle)
    Installed as administrator, synched with LIC (remote dbserver) OK
    Reboot PC, Mindalink error 'can not find' (a .gdb file) and crashed.
    Trying to open MindaLink desktop shortcut started a completely unrelated
    game on the desktop (why? beats me)
    Uninstall Mindalink, reinstall as administrator (again), resynched OK but
    same missing db error, ring help line.
    Could NOT get it to repeat the error (reboot's, reinstalls etc)
    Man that 'is' frustrating.

    Chinese MP3 player.
    (interestingly branded 'iPod' complete with Apple logo on the front, but
    very definately 'not' an iPod)
    Installed CDex to rip to MP3, drag and drop to MP3 player via USB no
    problems.

    For both machines at this point in time one has downloaded 40 Vista updates,
    the other about 12.

    Of the two the Athlon runs better than the Core Duo.
    Vista performance rating: Athlon 4.8, Core Duo 4.5.

    I've also done an Acer Laptop, same download drivers issues.
    Biggest issue with that Laptop was it took over an Hour from switch on till
    the first start routine would allow 'any' mouse/keyboard input.
    Others have had the same experience with Acer Laptops.

    Overall impression:
    If you are building your own Vist PC, do so only if you have broadband.
    Do expect Vista to break most older software, particularly programs using
    oddball installers.
    Best chance of installing software if you right click install exe and 'run
    as administrator'

    Left Window in Windows Explorer 'auto scrolls' horizontally to show folders
    as you scroll up and down, don't like that, no control over it.

    And one final Gripe:

    By default filename extensions are still turned 'OFF', makes it so hard when
    the client (over the phone) say's 'but there are three 'setup' files in the
    folder (setup.exe, setup.inf, setup.ico) Without extensions turned on they
    look the same to them (& don't say go by the icons because they are
    dependant on the particular setup.ico)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 29, 2007