    I'm trying to learn about using WiFi enabled pocket Pcs to make voice calls
    around an Access Point.
    Is this possible?
    Sierra, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Sierra

    Lonewolf Guest

    It works fine unless you're roaming between AP's. Then you need to be
    concerned about the roaming protocol.

    Lonewolf, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Sierra

    Viking Guest

    It works, but don't expect 15 simultanious calls per AP.
    If you want real mobility, you'll need a Wireless Switch to handle flawless
    switchover from one to another AP without loosing the call or even some
    words. One that comes to my mind right now is the Wireless Security Switch
    (Nortel Networks) which handles your wireless security (IPSec, SSL,
    Access,...) and the roaming for your voice, but also for not loosing your
    IPSec tunnel each time, for example..
    Viking.

    "Sierra" <> wrote in

    Viking, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Sierra

    shope Guest

    "Viking" <> wrote in message
    > It works, but don't expect 15 simultanious calls per AP.
    > If you want real mobility, you'll need a Wireless Switch to handle

    flawless
    > switchover from one to another AP without loosing the call or even some
    > words. One that comes to my mind right now is the Wireless Security Switch
    > (Nortel Networks) which handles your wireless security (IPSec, SSL,
    > Access,...) and the roaming for your voice, but also for not loosing your
    > IPSec tunnel each time, for example..
    > Viking.

    the main limitations for voip on 802.11 wireless seem to be around QoS and
    handoff between APs.

    Cisco have added some special signalling to their APs recently to provide
    fast roaming - mainly for voip. There is a a white paper describing how it
    works on their web site.

    See
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao1200ap/prodlit/cifsr_rf.pdf

    --
    Regards

    shope, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Sierra

    Viking Guest

    Nobody needs any special protocols in the AP for fast handover. And I don't
    think that protocol will help you if you've got a VPN through AP; you loose
    connection. But maybe another extra protocol will do that. Or another
    upgrade hardware upgrade.
    A wireless switch can do the job -even better- with any (even low end) AP.

    Viking.

    "shope" <> wrote in

    Viking, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Sierra

    pete Guest

    What sort of gateway you can use for VoIP over Wi Fi that can terminat to a
    PSTN line

    Pete

    pete, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Sierra

    shope Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > What sort of gateway you can use for VoIP over Wi Fi that can terminat to

    > PSTN line

    any gateway you like that can connect :)

    most wireless lan systems of any size have a backbone Ethernet somewhere to
    connect all the APs to - that the sensible place to put a gateway.

    Here the best idea at the moment (given the variable amount of interworking
    in a real system from different manufacturers) is to design at the system
    level and use a gateway that suits the design. E.g if you go cisco call
    manager, then there is a lot of compatibility and design info on their site
    for phones, gateways and other bits you need - just picking on them as i
    know the kit.....

    if you are asking about something smaller (for a home, small office) then a
    PC based gateway should be fine with wireless LAN - as far as the software
    can tell it is a slow ethernet - i only do the bigger stuff so i cant give
    any recommendations.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Sierra

    pete.cedo Guest

    any one who would like to test a PDA for voice over WiFI to terminate calls
    to a land line using H323 for testing only . E mail me.

    pete.cedo, Feb 25, 2004