    Kind regards
    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Can you open up the TCP/IP properties and tell me what's in the DNS settings?
    Go to Start>Run and type in control.exe netconnections . Is it obtain
    automatically?

    If it is go to Start>Run and type in cmd. Press OK. From the dos like
    window type in ipconfig /all

    Look for the numbers for the wireless connection. Your IP address should be
    something similar to 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. If your IP address starts with 169
    then you're not seeing a DHCP (address) server.

    Also look at the DNS number(s). They should be a totally different number,
    like 69.68.XXX.XXX or 207.XXX.XXX.XXX.

    I suspect your Linksys device is not handing out IP/DNS addresses or passing
    them from whatever device on your network hands them out (assuming your
    network is not static).

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBDaGlvZG8=?=, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Hi.

    Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
    somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
    actually have a functional Wireless connection.

    If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
    connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available (or
    the connection does not work) a simple way to ascertain that you have a
    basic Wireless connection is to try to use the Internet Browser in a
    Wireless Client computer and find out if you can connect to the Router's
    (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for the Router's IP Address,
    the login name and the password).

    If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.

    Once the Wireless is actually connected, you need to configure each computer
    Sharing settings. May be this can help http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 18, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=

    Guest

    On 18-Apr-2006, =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?= <> wrote:

    > I have just installed a linksys wireless router and am having trouble with
    > an upstiars connection. Every time i attemp to access the internet i get a
    > page connot be displayed check DNS settings on the web page. when i click on
    > the wireless router software it comes up with - and i quote " you are
    > connected to the Access point, but the internet cannot be found" obviously
    > this is the reason i cannot get an internet browser page.

    Assuming WinXP. Start - Programs - Accessories - DOS prompt
    (or whatever you do to get to a DOS Command Prompt - it can vary with
    configs) the do ipconfig /all on both machines, compare results.
    I'd suspect that the non-functional one has a different, or no,
    Default Gateway.

    , Apr 19, 2006
  5. "Peter F" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have just installed a linksys wireless router and am having trouble with
    > an upstiars connection. Every time i attemp to access the internet i get a
    > page connot be displayed check DNS settings on the web page. when i click
    > on
    > the wireless router software it comes up with - and i quote " you are
    > connected to the Access point, but the internet cannot be found" obviously
    > this is the reason i cannot get an internet browser page.
    >
    > I have attempted to trouble shoot the problem by checking settings on my
    > firewall. I have Zone Alarm Pro i think they are all ok. i also have Zone
    > Alarm Pro on my computer upstairs and that also seems ok. Please could
    > someone help me as i do not know where to turn.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Peter

    Sounds like you may have NAT turned off.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 20, 2006
  6. How do i turn it on.?
    --
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgRg==?=, Apr 21, 2006
  7. I'd consult the manual for your router, personally. Different models, even
    from the same manufacturer have different ways. However, it does help to
    load the interface to your modem which is usually, but not always, just
    opening a web browser and going to whatever IP address your modem is via the
    address bar and then checking out each page that is presented to you until
    you find NAT. You really do learn that way.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Apr 22, 2006