    represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?

    Just curious

    Charles

    Charlie, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Charlie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    > represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?
    >
    > Just curious

    Yup. It's not uncommon at all. The web programmer did that for you.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Charlie

    Shawn Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    > represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?
    >
    > Just curious
    >
    > Charles

    delete either cookies or internet cache (i dont remember which) and the icon
    goes away

    Shawn, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Charlie

    trout Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon
    --
    Probably more than you wanted to know.

    trout, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Charlie

    Guest

    Charlie <> wrote:

    |>Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    |>represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?
    |>
    |>Just curious

    Opera does this, very few sites don't add their own icon.

    --

    Ten years of the internet http://tinyurl.com/7cjue

    , Aug 11, 2005
  6. Charlie wrote:

    > Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    > represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?

    As for everything else web-related, if designed correctly, IE is not
    needed.

    Google on keyword favicon .

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Charlie

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:28:48 GMT, Charlie <> wrote:

    >Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    >represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?
    >
    >Just curious
    >
    >Charles

    It's called a "favicon"
    It's usually stored in the root directory of the website you visit.
    Because it's on the website and not your computer, when you go offline,
    or clear the cache files (C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files),
    you lose the icon and it reverts back to the Windows default.
    http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/favicon.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
    http://www.favicon.com/index.jsp?id=Internet Explorer

    FavOrg.
    http://digilander.libero.it/rareware/favorg.zip

    Now for the fun part. Because it's stored in the root directory of the
    website, it's usually stored with the default name of "favicon.ico"
    So, to grab Google's icon, send yourself an email with the web address and
    icon name. Example: http://www.google.com/favicon.ico
    (I mention Google only because they have one and it's there)
    When you get the email, right-click the link and "Save target as..."
    to your hard drive. When you look at the icon you just saved, if it's not
    the actual icon, but the Windows flag default (and bigger than about 2k)
    it's probably an html file (look at it with notepad). It says something like
    "requested page not found" (Oops, out of luck!)

    Once you saved the icon to a folder, rename it to match the website,
    (Google.ico), right-click the Google website desktop shortcut, select "Properties",
    click "Change Icon", and "Browse" to where you saved the icon. Now, the icon
    will NEVER change.

    How to Create a favicon.ico
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/favicon.shtml

    Unk, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Charlie

    Guest

    Unk <> wrote:

    |>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:28:48 GMT, Charlie <> wrote:
    |>
    |>>Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it is
    |>>represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon ?
    |>>
    |>>Just curious
    |>>
    |>>Charles

    |>It's called a "favicon"
    |>It's usually stored in the root directory of the website you visit.
    |>Because it's on the website and not your computer, when you go offline,
    |>or clear the cache files (C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files),
    |>you lose the icon and it reverts back to the Windows default.

    This would seem to be a feature of the Browser, Opera collects the
    darn things. I've got an image directory with 1177 web .ICO's
    like isobuster.com.ico (which is a CD)

  9. wrote:
    > Unk <> wrote:
    >
    >|>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:28:48 GMT, Charlie <>
    >wrote: |> |>>Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it
    >is |>>represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon
    >? |>> |>>Just curious |>> |>>Charles
    >
    >|>It's called a "favicon" |>It's usually stored in the root directory
    >of the website you visit. |>Because it's on the website and not your
    >computer, when you go offline, |>or clear the cache files
    >(C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files), |>you lose the icon and it
    >reverts back to the Windows default.
    >
    > This would seem to be a feature of the Browser, Opera collects the
    > darn things. I've got an image directory with 1177 web .ICO's like
    > isobuster.com.ico (which is a CD)

    Hmmmmmm. I wonder if it further depends on OS. I don't have any stash
    of .ico favicons from my Opera/Linux installation.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  10. Charlie

    Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>>wrote: |> |>>Has anyone bookmarked a web page in IE and in favorites it
    |>>is |>>represented with a icon of the web site and not the usual IE icon
    |>>? |>> |>>Just curious |>> |>>Charles

    |>>of the website you visit. |>Because it's on the website and not your
    |>>computer, when you go offline, |>or clear the cache files
    |>>(C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files), |>you lose the icon and it
    |>>reverts back to the Windows default.

    |>> This would seem to be a feature of the Browser, Opera collects the
    |>> darn things. I've got an image directory with 1177 web .ICO's like
    |>> isobuster.com.ico (which is a CD)

    |>Hmmmmmm. I wonder if it further depends on OS. I don't have any stash
    |>of .ico favicons from my Opera/Linux installation.

    That is odd, you'd expect both/all systems to have a
    Opera\profile\images directory.

    Do see a favicon to the left of the site name on each tab, each link
    on your personal bar and all bookmarks?

  11. wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >|>Hmmmmmm. I wonder if it further depends on OS. I don't have any stash
    >|>of .ico favicons from my Opera/Linux installation.
    >
    > That is odd, you'd expect both/all systems to have a
    > Opera\profile\images directory.

    I have .opera off my home directory, but no profile sub under it.

    > Do see a favicon to the left of the site name on each tab, each link
    > on your personal bar and all bookmarks?

    Address bar and tabs, yes. Personal Bar and bookmarks, no, since
    they're not on local system.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Charlie

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-08-11, <> wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    snip

    >|>Hmmmmmm. I wonder if it further depends on OS. I don't have any stash
    >|>of .ico favicons from my Opera/Linux installation.
    >
    > That is odd, you'd expect both/all systems to have a
    > Opera\profile\images directory.
    >
    > Do see a favicon to the left of the site name on each tab, each link
    > on your personal bar and all bookmarks?

    The favicons on my Opera installation seem to be in ~/.opera/images/

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 11, 2005