    ----------------------
    WoWsat.com
    ----------------------

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Jan 8, 2004

  2. In article <QbkLb.97048$6b2.84257@edtnps84>, [news]@wowsat.com says...
    > Anybody's used it?

    Yes.

    > Any comments on Sophos and its ability to protect your
    > computer?

    SAVs virus detection is very good. It's ability to "protect" your
    computer is no better or worse than any other anti-virus product
    however.

    Considering that anti-virus software is by its very nature reactionary
    and can only "protect" against what it already knows. Relying on it to
    protect you from viruses is a little like hiring Willie Sutton to guard
    a bank. . . it looks good on the surface but in reality all it does is
    offer a false sense of security.

    I'm not to saying you shouldn't use anti-virus software. Anti-virus
    software should be a part of your overall defense strategy, but it
    should not be a replacement for the zealous practice of Safe Hex.

    --
    Cheers-

    Jeff Setaro
    jasetaro <at> mags.net
    http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
    PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34

    Jeffrey A. Setaro, Jan 8, 2004

  3. R Green - WoWsat.com

    johns Guest

    Can't even begin to compare with f-secure. Not
    even remotely close in accuracy and updates.
    McCaffey pretty good too, and possibly even
    more cautious in early warnings of possible
    infections.

    johns

    johns, Jan 8, 2004
  4. How about as compared to latest v. of Norton's AV?

    ~~HBE

    to reply, replace the obvious with the name of the huge cable company that
    rhymes with Brooklyn Dodgers. :)

    His Boy Elroy, Apr 10, 2004
  5. R Green - WoWsat.com

    Richard Guest

    "His Boy Elroy" <His_Boy_Elroy@SPAM_IS_EVIL.com> wrote in

    > How about as compared to latest v. of Norton's AV?
    >
    > ~~HBE
    >
    > to reply, replace the obvious with the name of the huge cable company
    > that rhymes with Brooklyn Dodgers. :)
    >
    > "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in message
    >> Anybody's used it? Any comments on Sophos and its ability to protect
    >> your computer?
    >>
    >> --
    >> R Green
    >> Tech Support
    >> ----------------------
    >> WoWsat.com
    >> ----------------------

    I use Sophos to protect my network, and have not had an infection in 4
    years. I highly recommend it!
    Sophos is by far superior to the latest version of NAV. Sophos uses much
    less system resources, updates more frequently, detects more viruses, and
    provides very good support.
    Sophos is definitely the way to go for networks, but it is not
    recommended for single installations / home use.

    -Richard

    Richard, Apr 26, 2004
  6. R Green - WoWsat.com

    John Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I use Sophos to protect my network, and have not had an infection in 4
    > years. I highly recommend it!

    Same here. I have been using it since 1997.

    > Sophos is by far superior to the latest version of NAV.

    Most AV software is far superior to NAV / Symantec AV, imho.

    Groetjes
    John

    John, May 11, 2004