    PC rather than grabbing them from the camera itself?

    Any and all comments will be most gratefully appreciated.

    John
    John W. Johnston, Aug 2, 2003

  2. John W. Johnston

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am about to purchase my first digital camera and have narrowed my
    > choice down to either the Canon A70 or the Olympus Mju 300. I favour
    > the size and style of the Olympus, and am comfortable with Olympus
    > camera's having had them before, but the new xD card worries me due it
    > being much less established than the Compact Flash that the Canon
    > uses.

    I wouldn't worry about it. xD has become widespread enough that they
    will be available for as long as you will want to keep the camera.

    > I also have a HP Photosmart 1000 printer that has a CF slot. How much
    > of an advantage is it to use the printer to transfer pictures to the
    > PC rather than grabbing them from the camera itself?

    The card readers that are built into printers are notoriously slow. I
    had an HP 1100 for about two days and the reader in it was very slow.
    Spend about $20 and get a real card reader. You will save the batteries
    in your camera and the transfers will be faster.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 2, 2003

  3. John W. Johnston

    JK Guest

    "John W. Johnston" wrote:

    > I am about to purchase my first digital camera and have narrowed my
    > choice down to either the Canon A70 or the Olympus Mju 300.

    Why not an Olympus C4000? The lens on the 300 is quite slow at
    the telephoto end, which means that it will not be so good for taking
    photos in low light without a flash or tripod. The lens on the A70
    is also slow at the telephoto end.

    > I favour
    > the size and style of the Olympus, and am comfortable with Olympus
    > camera's having had them before, but the new xD card worries me due it
    > being much less established than the Compact Flash that the Canon
    > uses.

    Compact Flash cards are cheaper.

    > I also have a HP Photosmart 1000 printer that has a CF slot. How much
    > of an advantage is it to use the printer to transfer pictures to the
    > PC rather than grabbing them from the camera itself?

    You can buy a card reader for around $20 the attaches to the PCs
    USB port. Downloading images from the camera is much slower
    than with a card reader, runs down the camera batteries, and is
    extra wear on the camera.

    JK, Aug 2, 2003
  4. John W. Johnston

    Ed Guest

    Most card readers do not read the xD cards and CF cards are cheaper.
    I had an old Olympus and loved it, and it used smartmedia. I considered
    another Olympus but went with the Canon to avoid the xD which for now is
    propriatory in Olympus and Fuji only.

    Ed, Aug 2, 2003
  5. John W. Johnston

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    Personally, I went with CF cards. My PDA uses CF cards, so I can swap
    cards around as needed. My older digicam uses CF cards. Plus, I now use a
    1Gig CF card in my DSLR, so the choice to keep going with CF was important
    to me. CF cards are now available up to 4G in size. Most other card formats
    are only available up to128MB (I believe the xD format is coming out with
    256MB this summer). Part of your choice may depend on the digicam's
    megapixels and number of shots you are looking to take at one time. For me,
    a 128MB card does not hold enough images anymore.

    Chris Hoopes, Aug 8, 2003
  6. John W. Johnston

    James J. Guest

    Just to clarify, xD cards have been at 256megs for a while and 512meg xD has
    just started to hit the streets and are available to buy now. Olympus and
    Fuji have currently road-mapped xD technology out to 8 gigs per card.

    FWIW, "most" people tend to swap cards between products way less than they
    think they will so don't let that be a deal breaker in a camera purchase
    unless you already have a ton of one format or the other (and is supported
    by a camera you're looking to buy). Sometimes you can even create trouble
    by swapping cards as the 'file formats' are sometimes different between
    various products and can create new hassles for you. (i.e. 'some' cameras
    refuse to format a card that has a different format on it from say, a
    pocketpc, etc.)

    Printing direct from card to printer is not a big deal either unless you
    don't have a PC so don't let that be deal breaker for you either. There is
    no advantage to printing this way (again, unless you don't have a PC) and in
    fact, you lose out on the capability to do any pic processing (red-eye,
    cropping, etc.).

    P.S. One other thing, flash memory cards DO have a finite life span (of
    course dependent on usage) and eventually will get fussy so even if you do
    have a bunch of one type or the other, you will eventually be replacing them
    anyways.

    James :cool:

    James J., Aug 8, 2003