How I study

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. Just finished up with my MS Press book studying for the 70-271 test. I
    counted up all the pages of notes I wrote down from it..... 26 pages front
    and back....WOW!

    1) Type those notes up and consolidate into one huge study guide Word
    document
    2) Read recommended readings from the MS Press book on topics i feel weak in
    3) Use the CD provided with the book to do the 300 question custom exam...
    4) Take notes on the questions I miss for new study topics I'm weak in from
    the 300 question test
    4) Consolidate those notes in previous notes.
    5) Do Internet research from Technet and MS KB articles on topics I'm weak
    in.
    6) Run through Home and Pro attempting to memorize as much as I can and
    running utilities etc...
    7) Maybe re-read my 70-272 notes again
    8) Check http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx to see if I'm
    lacking in skills
    measured.
    9) Run through all my notes I've compiled one last time
    10) Watch newsgroup for topics I feel weak in

    --
    Keith Chilton, MCP
    Data Services Technician

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
    and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
    my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
    representative independent of this message.

    Keith Chilton, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Keith Chilton

    Jo Guest

    Keith:

    I think I would have a super migraine doing it your way, but I'm close to
    what you're doing.
    1. Read the Microsoft Press Book
    2. Read the ExamCram2 book (thanks to Michael)
    3. Review Press book, taking notes on unclear items
    4. Review ExamCram2 book, taking further notes.
    5. Take a few more practice tests beyond a 71%
    6. Go take test and pray for the best.

    But what a lot of people don't understand that it's a combination of
    reading, researching and work experience that really prepares you for this.
    How anyone can just read the Press book and take the test and pass is beyond
    me. Is there a possibility of overstudying?
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Feb 5, 2007

  3. ExamCram2 book huh? Are those cheap? Got a quick link so i dont have to
    google it? *i'm lazy* lol

    Keith Chilton, Feb 5, 2007
  4. Over-studying; Yes. Over-learning; No. What is the difference between
    the two? Applied force.

    Normally when one *studies* anything, mental force is applied to the
    brain to make it remember, recall, recognize, and embrace the concepts
    or knowledge. Learning requires very little force to the brain to
    perform the same functions as studying. Why is this? Because we
    associate *studying* with a PASS/FAIL factor. "If I do not study enough,
    I will fail!!!" So now you have added stress and fear to studying --
    *forcing* your brain to perform actions that are normally easy and
    making them difficult. Have you ever heard, "I hate studying!!!" Why do
    you think that is? Again, applied force. When you *learn* something, you
    mind becomes a sponge. It does this because there is no stress. There is
    no PASS/FAIL association. It will soak up any information and file it
    accordingly.

    It is a matter of tricking the mind into thinking that you are learning
    the material and not studying. Which is why you read my comments
    concerning *learning* the material.

    I know it may all sound like semantics, but would it hurt to try. I mean
    really, what do you have to lose?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 5, 2007
  5. My blog; under "My Recommended Study Material". They are about $30 in
    bookstores.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Keith Chilton

    Jo Guest

    Michael:

    You make it sound so easy. It may be EASY for a brain like yours, but not
    everyone has a mind likes yours!!! I barely made it through college because
    my reading comprehension was so bad I needed a tutor to assist me.
    Yeah...that's what makes this whole experience a challenge, but also
    frustrating on the same avenue.

    I have absorbed a lot since starting the Press Book, but some stuff still
    bounces off the old noggin....and I don't know if constant studying will ever
    make me understand. You can see from some of these posts, that people still
    have issues understanding file permissions and shares. Will they still
    understand after reading it over and over? Perhaps. But as I mentioned to
    you in my email, there are a few of us who need "pictures" - something visual
    to associate what we are studying...and the Press Book surely isn't good in
    that respect.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Feb 6, 2007
  7. My brain is no different than anyone else. It is how you utilize it. I
    have a hard time learning as well. I grew up in an age of "instant
    everything". When I want something, I want it now. So studying and
    holding onto new ideas and concepts are sometimes difficult. But I
    digress...

    You made an interesting point concerning needing "visual" stimulation
    for studying. I am working on that for you guys. Permissions may be the
    right place to start. More soon.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 6, 2007
  8. Keith Chilton

    Richard Guest

    > You made an interesting point concerning needing "visual" stimulation for
    > studying. I am working on that for you guys. Permissions may be the right
    > place to start. More soon.

    That sounds good to me too!

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 6, 2007