How I Found a "Spy" in My Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad Petria, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Brad Petria

    Brad Petria Guest

    Hi,

    I heard about KLs ("Key Loggers") and I wondered if by chance, there may
    be one in my computer, which I could have picked up while "surfing". I went
    out on the web, and I typed an odd sequence of keys which I had written for a
    reference. After I disconnected (went off line), I launched a search engine
    called "Finder" V3.8 http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/59354.html

    I relocated to the root directory where only the "C:\" was showing for
    my location, because I wanted to search every file (including hidden)
    in my hd for the keys sequence I typed. I used Finder's "Ultra Fast" search
    in the "Alternate" menu. Note: It is a good idea to have a table of ascii
    and key codes, which can easily be found on the net. First, I assumed that
    key scan codes are logged by the KL. I entered text characters that also
    represent the key scan codes for the sequence I typed. Example: If keys,
    "FGKHL" were pressed, their scan codes (in decimal) are 33,34,37,35,38, which
    are also the ascii codes for text characters ! " % # &. These ascii code
    characters are the ones I type for the search pattern because Finder searches
    for text patterns. Next, for the name of the file/s to search through, I
    used, "*.*" (without quotes) for all files, and I held down the Ctrl key to
    include all sub-folders when I pressed Enter.

    A while later, Finder found the pattern in a hidden file in a hidden
    folder within the "TEMP" folder, within "WINDOWS". The name of the hidden
    file had a combination of numbers and letters. Also, the name of the hidden
    folder(directory) had a similar pattern. I resumed the search incase there
    is another file holding scan codes for key presses, but no more was found.
    Note: If I found nothing, I would have searched again using the ascii codes
    for the same key sequences.

    A virus scan did not find any viruses, but when I compared the
    "keyboard.drv" file, located in the system folder, to another in
    another computer with the same OS, they didn't match. I replaced the
    "keyboard.drv" file with the backup.

    To be fair, this KL may not be the only type around. Other KLs may use
    other schemes. I don't know if other KLs employ the "keyboard.drv".

    Brad

    PS, The ascii (characters) and key codes I have are in the owners manual
    that came with a computer I bought years ago.
    Brad Petria, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Brad Petria

    Michael-NC Guest

    Nice try spammer.

    Michael-NC, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Brad Petria

    Drifter Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:56:15 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >Nice try spammer.

    Good God, will you please learn to trim out the crap instead of
    repeating the whole spam message again.

    It's a simple concept, I'm starting to think that people who don't get
    it are just the spammers trying for more exposure.

    Drifter
    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Brad Petria

    Michael-NC Guest

    I'm thinking you're an idiot for actually reading, then _replying_ to the
    thread.

    BTW, I snipped his URL out of my response.

    Michael-NC, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Brad Petria

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:56:15 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Nice try spammer.

    > Good God, will you please learn to trim out the crap instead of
    > repeating the whole spam message again.
    >
    > It's a simple concept, I'm starting to think that people who don't get
    > it are just the spammers trying for more exposure.
    >
    > Drifter

    Youve wrongfully convicted him of a newbie mistake, there is no added
    exposure or rebroadcast.....he trimmed the url as stated, and if you
    actually read whats left........ the message is useless without the url that
    was there.
    Might want to consider an apology..

    Matt
    Matt Ferrari, Feb 19, 2004