How I can configure local and ISP DNS server for client computer

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Shujaat, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. Shujaat

    Shujaat Guest

    I have windows 2000 domain controller with local DNS
    server, My network is connected to the Internet with ADSL
    line; My ISP has provided me DNS Servers, 212.93.192.4 &
    212.93.192.5.
    When I use the ISP DNS server as DNS server in my client
    computer, so the client computers can access the Internet
    but they are facing difficulties to brows the local
    network recourses.
    And when I use the local DNS server for my client
    computers, then they cannot brows the Internet.
    I tried to configure forwarders on my local DNS server,
    But I could not because this root DNS server.
    I am really so tired that what should I configure on my
    client configure and my DNS servers, so my client
    computers can use local resources and can brows the
    Internet pages.
    Shujaat
    If you can solve my problem then please email me on:
    Shujaat, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Shujaat

    Neil Guest

    "Shujaat" <> wrote in news:1ad0401c41f0b
    $3afce4d0$:

    > I have windows 2000 domain controller with local DNS
    > server, My network is connected to the Internet with ADSL
    > line; My ISP has provided me DNS Servers, 212.93.192.4 &
    > 212.93.192.5.
    > When I use the ISP DNS server as DNS server in my client
    > computer, so the client computers can access the Internet
    > but they are facing difficulties to brows the local
    > network recourses.
    > And when I use the local DNS server for my client
    > computers, then they cannot brows the Internet.
    > I tried to configure forwarders on my local DNS server,
    > But I could not because this root DNS server.
    > I am really so tired that what should I configure on my
    > client configure and my DNS servers, so my client
    > computers can use local resources and can brows the
    > Internet pages.
    > Shujaat
    > If you can solve my problem then please email me on:

    qustion should be posted to Microsoft.public.win200.dns

    post it here, read it here

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Shujaat

    Neil, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Shujaat

    Darth 2000 Guest

    You cold try a couple of things:

    1) Add your server IP as the first DNS server in the client list and the ISP
    DNS Servers after it. This way, if the resource the client is looking for is
    on the local network, it will find it fast by using the local DNS. If it's
    an internet resource they are looking for, they will first try the local
    DNS, and if it can not resolve the query, they will then try the second and
    third DNS servers (ISP's) and eventually be able to resolve.

    2) Add forwarders to your DNS Server. Right click your server name in DNS
    MMC, properties, forwarders, and add the IP of the ISP's DNS there.

    3) IDEAL SITUATION: You should be having forward and reverse lookup zones.
    This is a good idea if you have more than a few client computers. Even if
    you aren't hosting an FQDN, you should create something like
    "company-name.local" as your domain name. Hopefully you have already done
    this. Create the forward, config the clients to dynamically update the DNS
    and also have that integrated into WINS. Then create a reverse lookup. This
    is used to resolve IP -> hostname. EG: 192.168.0.1 -> Server.

    Works like a charm on my home network of Win2K3, 2xXP Pro, 1x2KPro, 1xWin98
    running DSL.

    --
    Darth 2000 - MCNGP # 28

    Darth 2000, Apr 10, 2004