    and 15G Quantum Fireballs were hot but my present 20.5G Fireball runs
    cool. I am about to get a Samsung 160G 8Mb cache drive so interested
    in what sort of heat I would get. How hot are other large drives?

    GraB, Mar 20, 2005

  2. GraB

    Mercury Guest

    If they get hot to touch they are too hot.
    HDD's will age prematurely if you run them hot.

    If there is room in the case make drives are not stacked next to each other.
    Separating drives by 1 or 2cmis often all thats needed.

    Install a fan in the front of the case to blow cool air over the drives.

    Drives get hot if they are too close and cannot get air circulation - they
    should be quite cool to touch.

    Consider installing an HDD temp monitoring utility until the problem is
    solved.

    Mercury, Mar 20, 2005

  3. GraB wrote:
    > Friend of mine doing a major upgrade, bought 120G Samsung hard drive,
    > after old 40G. Says it is surprisingly hot. I know my previous 13.6G
    > and 15G Quantum Fireballs were hot but my present 20.5G Fireball runs
    > cool. I am about to get a Samsung 160G 8Mb cache drive so interested
    > in what sort of heat I would get. How hot are other large drives?

    Just under "too hot to touch" seems to be a common one.
    I have a fan blowing on mine, so they're cooler.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 20, 2005
  4. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    >> Friend of mine doing a major upgrade, bought 120G Samsung hard drive,
    >> after old 40G. Says it is surprisingly hot. I know my previous
    >> 13.6G and 15G Quantum Fireballs were hot but my present 20.5G
    >> Fireball runs cool. I am about to get a Samsung 160G 8Mb cache
    >> drive so interested in what sort of heat I would get. How hot are
    >> other large drives?

    > Just under "too hot to touch" seems to be a common one.
    > I have a fan blowing on mine, so they're cooler.

    I put an 80GB Samsung in the fiance's PC and, as summer came along the PC
    started getting flakey. Took the side off and, sure enough, the drive was
    hot. Not *really* hot, just too hot for my (and Windows obviously) liking.
    It now has a fan blowing over it and the machine is rock-stable again.

    My Seagate 80Gb used to get hot too, so I bought a HDD cooler for it.
    Seagate recommend 60°C as maximum operating temp. Mine used to sit in the
    high 50's (using software to read directly from the drive's built-in
    thermistor). Now it sits in the 40's. 7,200rpm drives just seem to run hot.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2005
  5. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > 7,200rpm drives just seem to run hot.

    heh, try the 10k, 15k, and 20k SCSI drives... they're practically on
    fire. In one machine made at home by a mate of mine with too much money
    and not enough sense, they(4x73GB/15k) had got hot enough to semi
    melt(only on the edges) the scsi connector.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 20, 2005
  6. GraB

    BILL Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:31:41 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >If they get hot to touch they are too hot.
    >HDD's will age prematurely if you run them hot.
    >
    >If there is room in the case make drives are not stacked next to each other.
    >Separating drives by 1 or 2cmis often all thats needed.
    >
    >Install a fan in the front of the case to blow cool air over the drives.
    >
    >Drives get hot if they are too close and cannot get air circulation - they
    >should be quite cool to touch.
    >
    >Consider installing an HDD temp monitoring utility until the problem is
    >solved.
    >

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Friend of mine doing a major upgrade, bought 120G Samsung hard drive,
    >> after old 40G. Says it is surprisingly hot. I know my previous 13.6G
    >> and 15G Quantum Fireballs were hot but my present 20.5G Fireball runs
    >> cool. I am about to get a Samsung 160G 8Mb cache drive so interested
    >> in what sort of heat I would get. How hot are other large drives?

    Load up SpeedFan and so how hot they are, the Seagate's do get very hot when
    Not clamps into a chassis and have a fan blowing on them.

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    Mine get around 30-34c on a hot day, and that is with a 120mm fan in front
    of them.

    The rule of thumb is 40c max..

    BILL, Mar 20, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 20/03/2005 5:32 p.m.:
    > GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Friend of mine doing a major upgrade, bought 120G Samsung hard drive,
    >> after old 40G. Says it is surprisingly hot. I know my previous 13.6G
    >> and 15G Quantum Fireballs were hot but my present 20.5G Fireball runs
    >> cool. I am about to get a Samsung 160G 8Mb cache drive so interested
    >> in what sort of heat I would get. How hot are other large drives?

    > Just under "too hot to touch" seems to be a common one.
    > I have a fan blowing on mine, so they're cooler.

    Back in my earlier days as tech manager for a computer distributor and
    esdi and scsi drives (full height) where in vouge I had a bit of fun
    with a nice Microscience 150Mb (It was big for its day) Scsi. It had
    this loverly polished silver top and when bench testing I made the off
    hand comment that it got hot enough to cook my lunch on. Well the next
    day i bought in some onions and eggs. Made egg rings out of the onions
    and cracked a couple of eggs into them on top of this drive. Nice cooked
    eggs about 10 mins later and one pissed of GM who happened to also own
    the Microscince agency in NZ at the time. He was not impressed at my
    endevours. :cool:

    Collector»NZ, Mar 20, 2005
  8. GraB

    S Roby Guest

    Some brands run hotter than others (Seagate for eg)
    Make sure its fully screwed into the case (for a bit of heat dissapation)
    A fan blowing across even at slow (5v) speed makes a world of differnce.

    (The magnets out of dead HD's are ridiculously powerfull. Great for
    magnetising screwdrivers)

    S Roby, Mar 21, 2005