How Hollywood would like the world to be....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, May 6, 2005.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    ".....The rules set out to ban the use of Open Source/Free Software in
    digital television applications, and to require hardware components to
    be designed to be hard or impossible to create open drivers for. Fox
    exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
    marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
    without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
    economy cough commies cough)........"

    ;]

    ".......gigantic upswelling of public outcry over this naked attempt to
    bootstrap the studios' limited monopoly over copying movies into an
    unlimited monopoly over the design of every device that might be used to
    copy a movie. . . ."

    So you are all thieves and Open source users are thieves and commies.....

    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2005050613105074
    thing, May 6, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thing

    BrianM Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 07:21:26 +1200, thing wrote:

    > ".....The rules set out to ban the use of Open Source/Free Software in
    > digital television applications, and to require hardware components to
    > be designed to be hard or impossible to create open drivers for. Fox
    > exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
    > marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
    > without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
    > economy cough commies cough)........"
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > ".......gigantic upswelling of public outcry over this naked attempt to
    > bootstrap the studios' limited monopoly over copying movies into an
    > unlimited monopoly over the design of every device that might be used to
    > copy a movie. . . ."
    >
    > So you are all thieves and Open source users are thieves and
    > commies.....
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2005050613105074


    Yup, sounds like us thing.
    Capitalist software thieving mongrels and their running open software
    dogs.

    BrianM
    Peoples Republic of Christchurch
    BrianM, May 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thing

    Peter Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Fox exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite
    > marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model
    > without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned
    > economy cough commies cough)........"


    You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
    control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
    modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
    That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
    to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
    population (for their own good, of course).


    Peter
    Peter, May 7, 2005
    #3
  4. In article <>, wrote:
    >thing wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
    >control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
    >modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
    >That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
    >to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
    >population (for their own good, of course).
    >

    But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
    against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
    succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
    barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
    the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...
    I came, I saw, I stuck around"

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, May 7, 2005
    #4
  5. In article <d5jhk7$vm3$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <>, wrote:
    >>thing wrote:

    >*SNIP*
    >>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
    >>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
    >>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
    >>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
    >>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
    >>population (for their own good, of course).
    >>

    >But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
    >against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
    >succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
    >barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
    >the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.


    :)

    I'll translate ...

    "if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".

    :)



    Bruce


    -------------------------------------
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
    - George Bernard Shaw
    Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
    - Ambrose Bierce

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 8, 2005
    #5
  6. In article <>, thing <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <d5jhk7$vm3$>, (Matthew Poole)

    > wrote:
    >>>In article <>, wrote:
    >>>>thing wrote:
    >>>
    >>>*SNIP*
    >>>>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
    >>>>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
    >>>>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
    >>>>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
    >>>>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
    >>>>population (for their own good, of course).
    >>>But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
    >>>against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
    >>>succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
    >>>barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
    >>>the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

    >> I'll translate ...
    >>
    >> "if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".


    >ah......something the US is very good at, producing Al Capones.


    ... tho they are a lot better at hiding the threats these days :)


    Bruce


    -------------------------------------
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
    - George Bernard Shaw
    Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
    - Ambrose Bierce

    Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 9, 2005
    #6
  7. thing

    thing Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <d5jhk7$vm3$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, wrote:
    >>
    >>>thing wrote:

    >>
    >>*SNIP*
    >>
    >>>You're quite right - there are a lot of similarities between the central
    >>>control of the old fashioned communists and the central control that the
    >>>modern corporates (entertainment / media / software) are seeking to create.
    >>>That is, central control by the establishment, with institutional barriers
    >>>to prevent any upstart innovators or entrepreneurs, and to "control" the
    >>>population (for their own good, of course).
    >>>

    >>
    >>But, of course, the media industry are good capitalists, fighting
    >>against the communist scum who would seek to have content and software
    >>succeed solely on merit. Heathens who wish to remove any and every
    >>barrier to entry for competing in the global marketplace, and destroy
    >>the hard-earned monopolistic positions of the corporate giants.

    >
    >
    > :)
    >
    > I'll translate ...
    >
    > "if you try to stop me making pots of money, I'll smack your head in !".
    >
    > :)
    >
    >
    >
    > Bruce


    ah......something the US is very good at, producing Al Capones.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 9, 2005
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mr Floppy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    464
    Mr Floppy
    Mar 26, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q0QtUGlscw==?=

    The world cup reflects the real world!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0QtUGlscw==?=, Jul 12, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    513
  3. ~BD~
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    619
  4. richard
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    550
    Mike Yetto
    Jan 31, 2010
  5. Pat
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    728
    Peter
    Oct 16, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page