    Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is that a
    daft question?
    Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    anthonyberet, Apr 4, 2004

  2. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae365.cfm

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004

  3. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, anthonyberet
    postulated...

    > How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's
    > mass, as it's a physics question?
    > -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea
    > level and room temperature..
    > Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is
    > that a daft question?
    > Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    According to http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1934/press.html it's
    1kg plus 1 hectogramme (?)...

    Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one kilogramme, one
    litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and one hectogramme, which
    approximately corresponds to the increase in the weight of the molecule. Its
    freezing-point is +3.8° instead of 0° (that of ordinary water), and its
    boiling-point is 1.4 degrees higher than that of ordinary water. It is more
    viscous than ordinary water and the solubility of salts in it is less, etc.,
    etc. It has furthermore proved possible either wholly or partially to
    replace by heavy hydrogen the ordinary hydrogen that is a constituent of
    ammonia, hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, sugar, albumen, etc., etc. As heavy
    and light hydrogen thus - in contradistinction to previously known
    isotopes - possess different chemical characteristics, it has been thought
    advisable to bestow on them individual names. Urey calls heavy hydrogen
    deuterium and ordinary hydrogen protium. The reaction velocity for ordinary
    hydrogen or ordinary water respectively, as compared with deuterium or heavy
    water respectively, has proved to differ on occasion, as has also the
    ultimately obtained yield of the reaction. Among chemico-biological effects
    there may be noted: that alcoholic fermentation proceeds more slowly in
    heavy than in ordinary water, that the sprouting of tobacco seeds and the
    evolution of yeast fungi are delayed or checked, etc., etc. Atomic nuclei of
    heavy hydrogen, when propelled as rapid projectiles by an electric field
    have proved to be exceedingly effective in the breaking down of atoms and in
    transformation of elements in conjunction therewith. Radio-sodium produced
    by that process may perhaps prove to be of medicinal importance.

    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Blinky the Shark, Apr 4, 2004
  5. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    ICee wrote:
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    >> How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's
    >> mass, as it's a physics question?
    >> -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea
    >> level and room temperature..
    >> Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is
    >> that a daft question?
    >> Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    > http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae365.cfm

    This one gives a little more detail:
    http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=69

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004
  6. anthonyberet

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:21:34 +0100, "slumpy" <> wrote:

    >Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one kilogramme, one
    >litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and one hectogramme, which
    >approximately corresponds to the increase in the weight of the

    Snipped a lot to prevent paralysis of the mind.

    Ok now lets hear what you know about Christmas trees.
    joevan

    joevan, Apr 4, 2004
  7. anthonyberet

    Guest

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:08:34 +0100, "anthonyberet" <>
    wrote:

    >How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's mass, as
    >it's a physics question?
    >-You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea level
    >and room temperature..
    >Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is that a
    >daft question?
    >Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    Hmm - does half heavy water count as heavy water? (half heavy water =
    one regular hydrogen atom, one atom of deuterium and one atom of
    oxygen) Then there's also tritium (hydrogen with two protons) although
    that's radioactive and emits a beta ray to become helium 3 IIRC.

    In nature, there should be far more half heavy water than D2O just as
    there is far more hydrogen with no neutrons than deuterium.

    Of course, if you buy something called "heavy water" it has been sorta
    manufactured - you take regular water and put it in something like a
    centrifuge to separate the various varieties of water.

    Regular water has a neutron + proton count of 18.
    D2O has a n+p count of 20.
    Water with one atom of deuterium has an n+p count of 19.

    Electrons and the difference in mass between a neutron and proton are
    too small to worry about for most purposes.

    So it would be 1111 grams/liter for D2O and 1055 for water with only
    one Deuterium atom.

    , Apr 4, 2004
  8. anthonyberet

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    Can you drink it?

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, anthonyberet
    > postulated...
    >
    > > How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's
    > > mass, as it's a physics question?
    > > -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea
    > > level and room temperature..
    > > Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is
    > > that a daft question?
    > > Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    > According to http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1934/press.html it's
    > 1kg plus 1 hectogramme (?)...
    >
    > Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one kilogramme,

    one
    > litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and one hectogramme,

    which
    > approximately corresponds to the increase in the weight of the molecule.

    Its
    > freezing-point is +3.8° instead of 0° (that of ordinary water), and its
    > boiling-point is 1.4 degrees higher than that of ordinary water. It is

    more
    > viscous than ordinary water and the solubility of salts in it is less,

    etc.,
    > etc. It has furthermore proved possible either wholly or partially to
    > replace by heavy hydrogen the ordinary hydrogen that is a constituent of
    > ammonia, hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, sugar, albumen, etc., etc. As

    heavy
    > and light hydrogen thus - in contradistinction to previously known
    > isotopes - possess different chemical characteristics, it has been thought
    > advisable to bestow on them individual names. Urey calls heavy hydrogen
    > deuterium and ordinary hydrogen protium. The reaction velocity for

    ordinary
    > hydrogen or ordinary water respectively, as compared with deuterium or

    heavy
    > water respectively, has proved to differ on occasion, as has also the
    > ultimately obtained yield of the reaction. Among chemico-biological

    effects
    > there may be noted: that alcoholic fermentation proceeds more slowly in
    > heavy than in ordinary water, that the sprouting of tobacco seeds and the
    > evolution of yeast fungi are delayed or checked, etc., etc. Atomic nuclei

    of
    > heavy hydrogen, when propelled as rapid projectiles by an electric field
    > have proved to be exceedingly effective in the breaking down of atoms and

    in
    > transformation of elements in conjunction therewith. Radio-sodium produced
    > by that process may perhaps prove to be of medicinal importance.
    >
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me

    ---

    Rodney Kelp, Apr 4, 2004
  9. anthonyberet

    ICee Guest

    http://yarchive.net/med/heavy_water.html

    ICee, Apr 4, 2004
  10. anthonyberet

    crynwulf Guest

    ICee wrote:

    > Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >> Can you drink it?

    > http://yarchive.net/med/heavy_water.html

    So it would cost about $15,000 to knock off my billionair uncle

    Crynwulf

    crynwulf, Apr 4, 2004
  11. anthonyberet

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In news:c4nke5$2krf91$-berlin.de,
    slumpy <> astounded everyone with this perfectly
    punctuated offering:
    > Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, anthonyberet
    > postulated...
    >
    >> How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's
    >> mass, as it's a physics question?
    >> -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea
    >> level and room temperature..
    >> Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is
    >> that a daft question?
    >> Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    > According to http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1934/press.html
    > it's 1kg plus 1 hectogramme (?)...
    >
    > Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one
    > kilogramme, one litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and
    > one hectogramme, which approximately corresponds to the increase in
    > the weight of the molecule. Its freezing-point is +3.8° instead of 0°
    > (that of ordinary water), and its boiling-point is 1.4 degrees higher
    > than that of ordinary water. It is more viscous than ordinary water
    > and the solubility of salts in it is less, etc., etc. It has
    > furthermore proved possible either wholly or partially to replace by
    > heavy hydrogen the ordinary hydrogen that is a constituent of
    > ammonia, hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, sugar, albumen, etc., etc.
    > As heavy and light hydrogen thus - in contradistinction to previously
    > known
    > isotopes - possess different chemical characteristics, it has been
    > thought advisable to bestow on them individual names. Urey calls
    > heavy hydrogen deuterium and ordinary hydrogen protium. The reaction
    > velocity for ordinary hydrogen or ordinary water respectively, as
    > compared with deuterium or heavy water respectively, has proved to
    > differ on occasion, as has also the ultimately obtained yield of the
    > reaction. Among chemico-biological effects there may be noted: that
    > alcoholic fermentation proceeds more slowly in heavy than in ordinary
    > water, that the sprouting of tobacco seeds and the evolution of yeast
    > fungi are delayed or checked, etc., etc. Atomic nuclei of heavy
    > hydrogen, when propelled as rapid projectiles by an electric field
    > have proved to be exceedingly effective in the breaking down of atoms
    > and in transformation of elements in conjunction therewith.
    > Radio-sodium produced by that process may perhaps prove to be of
    > medicinal importance.

    Damn you, slumpy..now you've made me cry.... sad stories

    Juan Pérez, Apr 4, 2004
  12. anthonyberet

    x@y Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message ...
    > Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > > Can you drink it?

    > http://yarchive.net/med/heavy_water.html

    Hello "ICee"!!
    I Visited the above link You posted.
    It says a person can drink 50% of his/her weight of heavy water
    and
    still survive.

    No Thanks, I am not going to change my prescription
    that is light wine, red or white.

    x@y, Apr 4, 2004
  13. anthonyberet

    Mike Trozzo Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's mass,

    as
    > it's a physics question?

    Is it a liter of European or African heavy water?

    Mike Trozzo, Apr 4, 2004
  14. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, joevan postulated...

    > On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:21:34 +0100, "slumpy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one
    >> kilogramme, one litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and
    >> one hectogramme, which approximately corresponds to the increase in
    >> the weight of the

    > Snipped a lot to prevent paralysis of the mind.
    >
    > Ok now lets hear what you know about Christmas trees.
    > joevan

    You stick lights on them, they leave needles in your socks and stay in your
    front garden for a whole year after use.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  15. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Rodney Kelp
    postulated...

    > Can you drink it?

    Aye, but only at a ratio of 1kg:1kg + 1 hectogramme - otherwise it makes
    your farts extremely wet.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  16. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Juan Pérez
    postulated...

    > Damn you, slumpy..now you've made me cry.... sad stories

    It would make a great movie JP, Hollywood here I come ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 4, 2004
  17. anthonyberet

    Linda Guest

    Sounds like engine coolant for my car.

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 01:08:34 +0100, "anthonyberet"

    <>

    Linda, Apr 5, 2004
  18. anthonyberet

    geothermal Guest

    Mike Trozzo wrote:
    > "anthonyberet" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's mass,

    > as
    >>it's a physics question?

    > Is it a liter of European or African heavy water?

    Arg, Monty Pyton Holy Grail humor or humour....ATCMB.

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 6, 2004
  19. anthonyberet

    Prai Jei Guest

    slumpy (or somebody else of the same name) wrote in message
    <c4nke5$2krf91$-berlin.de> thusly:

    > Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, anthonyberet
    > postulated...
    >
    >> How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's
    >> mass, as it's a physics question?
    >> -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea
    >> level and room temperature..
    >> Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is
    >> that a daft question?
    >> Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    > According to http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1934/press.html it's
    > 1kg plus 1 hectogramme (?)...
    >
    > Whereas, as we know, one litre of ordinary water weighs one kilogramme,
    > one litre of heavy water weighs about one kilogramme and one hectogramme,
    > which approximately corresponds to the increase in the weight of the
    > molecule. Its freezing-point is +3.8° instead of 0° (that of ordinary
    > water), and its boiling-point is 1.4 degrees higher than that of ordinary
    > water. It is more viscous than ordinary water and the solubility of salts
    > in it is less, etc., etc. It has furthermore proved possible either wholly
    > or partially to replace by heavy hydrogen the ordinary hydrogen that is a
    > constituent of ammonia, hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, sugar, albumen,
    > etc., etc. As heavy and light hydrogen thus - in contradistinction to
    > previously known isotopes - possess different chemical characteristics, it
    > has been thought advisable to bestow on them individual names. Urey calls
    > heavy hydrogen deuterium and ordinary hydrogen protium. The reaction
    > velocity for ordinary hydrogen or ordinary water respectively, as compared
    > with deuterium or heavy water respectively, has proved to differ on
    > occasion, as has also the ultimately obtained yield of the reaction. Among
    > chemico-biological effects there may be noted: that alcoholic fermentation
    > proceeds more slowly in heavy than in ordinary water, that the sprouting
    > of tobacco seeds and the evolution of yeast fungi are delayed or checked,
    > etc., etc. Atomic nuclei of heavy hydrogen, when propelled as rapid
    > projectiles by an electric field have proved to be exceedingly effective
    > in the breaking down of atoms and in transformation of elements in
    > conjunction therewith. Radio-sodium produced by that process may perhaps
    > prove to be of medicinal importance.

    I read somewhere that the maximum density point of heavy water is even more
    removed from the corresponding property of ordinary water - a figure of 11
    deg C comes to mind.

    How do the properties of heavy water as enumerated above and elsewhere,
    correspond to those of water formed from ordinary hydrogen combined with
    oxygen-18? Both forms have a molecular weight of 20 but different weight
    distribution. I would imagine H2O(18) would have properties much closer to
    those of common water.

    --
    Paul Townsend
    I put it down there, and when I went back to it, there it was GONE!

    Interchange the alphabetic elements to reply

    Prai Jei, Apr 9, 2004
  20. anthonyberet

    tadchem Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > How heavy is a litre of heavy water? -Or should I say, what is it's mass,

    as
    > it's a physics question?
    > -You know, water with deuterium instead of ordinary hydrogen? -At sea

    level
    > and room temperature..
    > Would there be heavy water at the deep parts of the seas? - or is that a
    > daft question?
    > Hope you don't mind my asking, I am in a funny mood..

    http://physchem.kfunigraz.ac.at/sm/Service/Water/D2Odens.htm

    Note the maximum density is at about 10° C.

    Tom Davidson
    Richmond, VA

    tadchem, Apr 10, 2004