How has XP2 service pack worked for those who have it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harvey Wallbanger, Oct 25, 2004.

  1.
    Harvey Wallbanger, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Harvey Wallbanger

    Edgie Guest

    worked for me so far..............
    has it not for you?

    Regards
    Chris

    "Harvey Wallbanger" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    Edgie, Oct 25, 2004

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    24 Oct 2004 18:26:14 -0500, Harvey Wallbanger <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    Loaded three different machines and they worked OK. I downloaded and
    used the administrators version, though.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Harvey Wallbanger

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >|I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    >| 24 Oct 2004 18:26:14 -0500, Harvey Wallbanger <> screamed
    >| from behind the mulberry bush:
    >|
    >| Loaded three different machines and they worked OK. I downloaded and
    >| used the administrators version, though.
    >|
    >| Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    I did the same. I've upgraded at least half a dozen systems with no
    complications. I have many more to do at work though <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Harvey Wallbanger

    WormWood Guest

    "Harvey Wallbanger" <> wrote in message

    No problems.

    WormWood, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Harvey Wallbanger

    BuddhaOK Guest

    I've only had it installed approximately 2 weeks, but haven't had any
    problems at all. Pretty much a seemless install.

    BuddhaOK, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Harvey Wallbanger

    Billh Guest

    I have 4 computers all went well. My sister has two computers one was ok
    the other one failed to load and killed the wifi connection. This computer
    started life as Win98 was upgraded to ME then to XP. A fresh install of XP
    with out all the old crap allowed SP2 to install and the computer is now
    running better than it has in years. Bosses laptop was hosed by SP2 had to
    do a fresh install. It had some issues before and while he was not happy he
    claims it is running faster than it ever has. I fix computers at a school
    and we have not even looked at installing it yet. But one employee started
    installing it thinking it was a regular update and as it was taking so long
    turned the computer off in the middle of the install! It was running dead
    slow after rebooting. By some miracle the uninstall worked and after about
    an hour of work I was able to get her computer running again minus sp2.

    So here is the score

    8 computers

    5 no issues

    2 hose jobs but fresh install of XP allowed for sp2 install with no issue

    1 idiot error no fault of MS in fact credit sp2 for allowing recovery.

    If you have a well oiled computer with no spyware or other issues backup
    your data and setting or better yet make a ghost image and install SP2.

    Billh, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Harvey Wallbanger

    mdp Guest

    Three computers upgraded, three working fine.

    mdp, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Harvey Wallbanger

    zaax Guest

    In article <>, Edgie
    <> writes
    >worked for me so far..............
    >has it not for you?

    On my tower it worked fine on the laptop it needed a bit o weaking
    before it would talk to the tower on the LAN again (XP / Sygate fire
    wall problem)
    --
    Zaax
    http://www.ukgatsos.com

    zaax, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Harvey Wallbanger

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:26:14 -0500, Harvey Wallbanger <>
    wrote:

    I have it on both of my machine, even the old one which now has less
    than 500 kb of drive space left. It is slow but works ok as an
    emergency machine. I think sp2 is ok.
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 25, 2004
  11. On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:32:24 +0100, "Edgie" <>
    wrote:

    >worked for me so far..............
    >has it not for you?
    >
    >--

    Has worked for me on 5 machines perfectly so far. I was just curious
    as there were a lot of "WARNINGS" about it when it first came out. I
    still see a lot of people that say to stay away so I was just curious.
    Thanks all for the reply's.

    Harvey Wallbanger, Oct 26, 2004
  12. Harvey Wallbanger

    Saddles Guest

    One at home and ten at work, all with no problem. My fears are allayed.

    "Harvey Wallbanger" <> wrote in message

    ---

    Saddles, Oct 26, 2004
  13. In article <Y7í.1209$>,rnmdp <> wrote:

    >"Harvey Wallbanger" <> wrote in message

    Consider the silver lining. If I did not respond to your posts, some
    people wouldn't even know you wrote ... since they have you killfiled.
    So in a way, I'm doing you a favor.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 26, 2004
  14. Harvey Wallbanger

    Fred Guest

    Lady Chatterly wrote:

    > If I did not respond to your posts, some people wouldn't even know you
    > wrote .

    I hope you didn't.

    > since they have you killfiled.

    Do you believe that Forest Gump is a real person?

    > So in a way, I'm doing you a favor.

    Why are you doing I a favor?

    Fred, Oct 26, 2004
  15. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    26 Oct 2004 10:33:14 GMT, Lady Chatterly

    Ask me if I give ****, you stillborn fuckhead.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 26, 2004
  16. Harvey Wallbanger

    Fred Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    > Ask me if I give ****, you stillborn fuckhead.

    Ooh, baby!

    Fred, Oct 26, 2004
  17. No problem on 4 computers, major problem on one:
    Intel discontinued support for the 850 chipset some time ago so I can't
    contact them.
    The MB has an 1,9G CPU, BIOS P18 (last), and RDRAM (rambus), an ATI
    XPERT2000, and a SBLive 5.1. Everything seems to work fine with SP1, but
    after updating to SP2, the system freezes 3-5 minutes at the wellcome
    screen, then shows an error message (DrWatson will have to be closed...)
    followed by 5 other error messages (Explorer will have to be
    closed...etc...) without any informative (numeric) error messages.
    Memory and Hard drives were tested and are OK.
    Any pointers/advice would be appreciated, and a copy by email would be
    really appreciated.

    Michel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sen=E9cal?=, Oct 27, 2004
  18. Harvey Wallbanger

    Horness Guest

    Had the same on an older system here. Could not find a way round it. :-(

    On my Laptop (a Microstar) SP2 has stopped some of the "Fn" (function) keys
    working. In particular the "screen switch" where you output the screen to
    the TV Out. Major problem for watching films.

    At work, the firewall caused a bit of head scratching when email was not
    being delivered to the clients on some Tosh laptops. Sorted that out fairly
    quickly though.

    H.

    Horness, Oct 27, 2004