    they would say it was a nonstandard blaze and pack up and go home. I
    use the example of a burning house on purpose; 64 bit operating
    systems are here, people are using them; the fire is already lit!

    wonderingaloud, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Change the color all you want.
    What does the fire department do when they arrive and discover the new tract
    has a new style of fire hydrant incompatible with the old and the FD was
    never notified?
    In this case, the FD was notified but has chosen not to support or slow
    support of the new neighbourhood.
    The home owners need to make decisions accordingly.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 16, 2005

  3. wonderingaloud

    Al Sweringen Guest

    The fire dept wouldn't actually install the hydrant but should have some
    input as to the required hardware before building commenced.
    Building codes, local govt., builders, architects, planners, lawyers all
    need to get together prior to breaking ground.

    In other words, Microsoft should have been proactive with the hardware
    vendors prior to breaking ground.

    Its not like they don't know the players and vice-versa.

    Al Sweringen, Jul 17, 2005
  4. wonderingaloud

    WM Guest

    Microsoft was proactive. They've been beating the AMD64 drum since WinHEC
    2003... But it made no sense for device vendors to release any drivers until
    Windows for X64 shipped - because it costs money to develop (and test)
    drivers, even if you are just porting them to another architecture of
    Windows...

    Chicken and the egg...

    WM, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Al;
    Microsoft can only do so much.
    Perhaps Microsoft should push more but no one including Microsoft can force
    the manufacturers until the manufacturers decide.
    The hardware manufacturers have the necessary available information.
    They often seem to wait for the final product before seriously developing
    drivers.
    A change by Microsoft can render previous work useless.

    If drivers are wanted or needed, the people need to communicate that to the
    manufacturers, and not Microsoft.
    Even posting here is not likely to do any good.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 17, 2005
  6. wonderingaloud

    John Barnes Guest

    If Microsoft had at least gotten the TAP and trial disks to those who wanted
    them, there would at least be more demand for drivers. Microsoft treats
    this system as a practice system for some features of Longhorn, with little
    internal support (ie intellimouse). It doesn't even have a retail version
    like ME, so you know they don't want to be bothered with supporting it, so
    why should vendors. Just a SWAG but I guess that 95% of those buying a
    64-bit computer (because the salesman said prepare for the future) don't
    know the system exists. Except for niche users, nobody wants to be bothered
    supporting it.

    John Barnes, Jul 17, 2005
  7. I definitely agree with the "using XP Pro x64 as target practice so they can
    prepare well for Longhorn x64". Well, the Windows Team does seem confident
    about the next version, they announced at WinHEC that both 32-bit and 64-bit
    editions of Longhorn are compiled consistently and neither is above the
    other.

    This probably suggest Microsoft is building up the true momentum for 64-bit
    computing in the Longhorn generation. I almost forgot, all editions of
    Longhorn will be 64-bit and 32 bit out of the box except for Starter
    Edition, which suggest Microsoft means business when it comes to x64 with
    Longhorn.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005