How Good is Wine (getting penguins pissed)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in ages

    the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
    killed several files in windows (easy to fix)

    Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident

    now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer

    So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    Thor Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
    If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
    date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
    then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
    the native os.

    Thor, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    thingy Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    > > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    > Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
    > If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
    > date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
    > then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
    > the native os.

    I wouldnt have said it was any good for games.

    For office apps usable, but again you can run Open Office so why bother....

    If you really need it dual boot the box for something like AutoCad its
    not on IMHO, other options are rdesktop to a windows box.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    Bret Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in ages
    >
    >the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
    >killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
    >
    >Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >
    >now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >
    >So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    I use it for Agent, it works very well.

    Bret, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Robert Cooze

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    > ages

    <snip>

    > Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    > windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >
    > now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    > with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    > and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >
    > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    (hint - nouns vs adjectives)

    you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
    'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."

    There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
    between "with" and "out".

    All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!

    Bling Bling

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    Bling-Bling, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Robert Cooze

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:18:42 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    >> ages

    ><snip>
    >
    >> Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >> windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >>
    >> now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >> with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >> and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >>
    >> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    >You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    >(hint - nouns vs adjectives)
    >
    >you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
    >'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."
    >
    >There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
    >between "with" and "out".
    >
    >All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!

    This is a classic example of why handguns are illegal in NZ :)

    BTW you still have no class bitch.

    Bret, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Robert Cooze

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    > ages
    >
    > the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
    > killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
    >
    > Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    > windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >
    > now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    > with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    > and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >
    > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    My acid test is Encyclodeia Brittannica 98 (seeing as I own a copy). The
    installer gets all the way through now, but the program still does not
    work. This is with minimal fiddling. I usually try the trick of installing
    IE6 first as I suspect Brittannica depends on parts of it. It pays to try
    it out with whatever Windows application you require it for. As an
    alternative, a lot of Windows-based apps now have open-sourced
    equivalents. (eg. I recently stopped trying to get Red Shift to work with
    Wine now that I have found Stellarium for star gazing).

    Compiling Wine from source takes about 3-4 hours on my 450Mhz K6/2. At
    least the build script does warn you that you should "make a cup of coffee
    or hire a video or two" while you wait!

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Jul 17, 2005
  8. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    > > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    > Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
    > If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
    > date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
    > then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
    > the native os.

    A few Lite weigt windows apps that I have used since forever, dont seem
    to be any thing in open source that I can find yet.

    ps the slow box compiled wine OK but cant install it not enough disk
    space :(

    well Ill do some disk arranging and see if I can get it to work one day.

    havent had the time to try it on main machine yet installed ect ect.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 17, 2005
  9. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    >>ages

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >>
    >>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >>
    >>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    > You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    > (hint - nouns vs adjectives)
    >
    > you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
    > 'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."
    >
    > There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
    > between "with" and "out".
    >
    > All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!
    >

    > Bling Bling

    Ok

    In form 2 I was doing form six Maths

    allso in form 2 I was reading any book I wanted to.

    In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me
    in reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a
    comprehention but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    The sugestion was I was dislexic but my reading and maths broke the
    rules for being a dislexic so they put me on to more reiding recovery :(
    grrr

    now in the 4th and 5th form I relised I would never survive university
    at all even thoug I could understand,

    So I did what I had to do Chose a Technical over Universiity well I am
    here now well I was born in 1969

    just for you I have not edtited ths

    or spell checked

    apperently I think faster than I can verbilise or write 15 years ago I
    was a cronic stutterere (most people dont know it now I taught my self
    not to stutter)

    quight often I start to write and I have finnished in my head and on to
    next subject by the time I have put in the first subject.

    I used a slide rule for School cert maths and got a 95% pass English I
    got bearly 40% ish

    the school system failed me I know why but I wont let it stop me.

    oh year can you mutiply and divide by just addition and subtraction as
    your only tools? In form 1 I ammmased my Teacher who thught I was dumb
    when She saw how I would work out long division I never lurned my times
    tables so I used what I knewe whis was addition and subtraction.

    Enough of my insane sane ramblings

    Robert Cooze, Jul 17, 2005
  10. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    >>ages
    >>
    >>the first time wine was part of mandrake (some verry old version) it
    >>killed several files in windows (easy to fix)
    >>
    >>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >>
    >>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >>
    >>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    > My acid test is Encyclodeia Brittannica 98 (seeing as I own a copy). The
    > installer gets all the way through now, but the program still does not
    > work. This is with minimal fiddling. I usually try the trick of installing
    > IE6 first as I suspect Brittannica depends on parts of it. It pays to try
    > it out with whatever Windows application you require it for. As an
    > alternative, a lot of Windows-based apps now have open-sourced
    > equivalents. (eg. I recently stopped trying to get Red Shift to work with
    > Wine now that I have found Stellarium for star gazing).
    >
    > Compiling Wine from source takes about 3-4 hours on my 450Mhz K6/2. At
    > least the build script does warn you that you should "make a cup of coffee
    > or hire a video or two" while you wait!
    >
    > Murray.

    LOL

    thats about rite mine was a 500 MHZ K6/2

    see top post ran out of disk space

    make[2]: Leaving directory
    `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winebrowser'
    cd `dirname winecfg/__install__` && make install
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winecfg'
    .../../tools/mkinstalldirs -m 755 /usr/local/lib/wine
    /usr/bin/ginstall -c winecfg.exe.so /usr/local/lib/wine/winecfg.exe.so
    /usr/bin/ginstall: writing `/usr/local/lib/wine/winecfg.exe.so': No
    space left on device
    make[2]: *** [install_prog.so] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs/winecfg'
    make[1]: *** [winecfg/__install__] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/coozerb/wine-20050310/programs'
    make: *** [programs/__install__] Error 2
    root@orac:/home/coozerb/wine-20050310#

    Ill do some cleaning and see if I can get it to install if not then no
    worrys.

    just on 2 hours for a athlon 900 that was my other machine I will try
    britanica I have the 2000 version.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 17, 2005
  11. In article <>, thingy <> wrote:
    >Thor wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>
    >> > So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    >> Depends on why you want it and what you are going to do with it.
    >> If it's to play older win98 and earlier then it's fine. With more up to
    >> date games you will probably need winex. If it's to run Microsoft apps
    >> then some are ok others are not. It's an emulator so it isn't as good as
    >> the native os.

    >I wouldnt have said it was any good for games.
    >
    >For office apps usable, but again you can run Open Office so why bother....
    >
    >If you really need it dual boot the box for something like AutoCad its
    >not on IMHO, other options are rdesktop to a windows box.

    Last TUX newsletter (IIRC) said something similar I think. Wine not all that
    useful - still - yet .. BUT there are some other applications that you have
    to pay for that do the same job that are superior. Winex was only one of
    them (and one of the less useful IIRC).

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 17, 2005
  12. In article <>, Robert Cooze <> wrote:
    >Bling-Bling wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>>Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    >>>ages

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >>>windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >>>
    >>>now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >>>with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >>>and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >>>
    >>>So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    >> You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    >> (hint - nouns vs adjectives)

    (snip english criticism stuff)
    >Ok
    >
    >In form 2 I was doing form six Maths
    >
    >allso in form 2 I was reading any book I wanted to.
    >
    >In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me
    >in reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a
    >comprehention but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    So ... problem still not solved then.
    Here we see only the typing. If it doesn't make any sense, then
    (effectively) neither do you :)

    Aftetr you have typed it, go back and read it. Does it make sense ?
    If not, edit it and fix it.

    Easy.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 17, 2005
  13. Robert Cooze

    Rob J Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:55:41 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Just putting the Penguin on a dose of wine this will be the 4 time in
    >> ages

    ><snip>
    >
    >> Some time not so long ago I tryed from source in redhat9 with the
    >> windows disk not in the computer! sorta worked sorta dident
    >>
    >> now trying it on two different machines one with windows and the other
    >> with out windows the slow machine has been compiling for about 2 hours
    >> and I expect it will take another 2 at least if not longer
    >>
    >> So how good is it or is it still dissapointing.

    >You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    >(hint - nouns vs adjectives)
    >
    >you should also learn some of the basic spelling rules - such as "change
    >'y' to 'i' and add 'ed'."
    >
    >There is no such a word as "dident". And "without" does not have a space
    >between "with" and "out".
    >
    >All of the above you should have learnt in primary school!

    And sentences shouldn't begin with "And".

    And you started a sentence WITHOUT a capital letter.

    Rob J, Jul 18, 2005
  14. Robert Cooze

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:35:59 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me in
    > reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a comprehention
    > but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    Are you aware that all the individual letters that make up words have
    sounds associated with them?

    Are you also aware that there are rules which govern how most English
    words are spelt?

    Also, if you take the time to spell out the various words as you type
    them, then you are more likely to have typed your words and sentences
    correctly than if you simply conceptualised a subject and then mentally
    moved on to the next subject before your poor fingers have had a chance to
    catch up to your brain.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in

    Bling-Bling, Jul 18, 2005
  15. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, Robert Cooze <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bling-Bling wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>>You should learn the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.
    >>>(hint - nouns vs adjectives)

    > (snip english criticism stuff)
    >
    >>Ok
    >>
    >>In form 2 I was doing form six Maths
    >>
    >>allso in form 2 I was reading any book I wanted to.
    >>
    >>In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me
    >>in reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a
    >>comprehention but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    > So ... problem still not solved then.
    > Here we see only the typing. If it doesn't make any sense, then
    > (effectively) neither do you :)
    >
    > Aftetr you have typed it, go back and read it. Does it make sense ?
    > If not, edit it and fix it.
    >
    > Easy.
    >
    > Bruce

    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
    > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
    > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    >
    > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)

    My normal thought process is up to a three or 4 pass system (typing
    here) quite often ending in dealeation (the message never gets sent).

    Bash out the thoughts.

    Reword lots of it.

    try to make it sense.

    Then try to make it spelt better, most spell checkers are useless for me.

    Deletion can happen at any stage.

    Written English is like a forgen concept to me. It is like being
    trapped, and there is no key. you have to dig your self out every time
    with the small tea spoon.

    But I can read it with ease I can nearly read French and German if there
    is enough of it.

    Most people seem to understand here (not) to be honest I do have a thick
    armor more so than the flame repellent asbestos suite.

    ps I left the last post at stage one as it was,

    Robert Cooze, Jul 18, 2005
  16. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:35:59 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put me in
    >>reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a comprehention
    >>but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    > Are you aware that all the individual letters that make up words have
    > sounds associated with them?
    >
    > Are you also aware that there are rules which govern how most English
    > words are spelt?
    >
    > Also, if you take the time to spell out the various words as you type
    > them, then you are more likely to have typed your words and sentences
    > correctly than if you simply conceptualised a subject and then mentally
    > moved on to the next subject before your poor fingers have had a chance to
    > catch up to your brain.
    >

    > Bling Bling

    Thanks for the advice.
    Yes I do know about trying to spell that way. but i keep getting gothi
    instead of fish. There is no piss taking in that statement.

    The one thing I really wont to do is to write creatively

    Robert Cooze, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>> In form two The school realisied I had writing problems! so they put
    >>> me in reading recovery! There the problems got worce I had such a
    >>> comprehention but I could not get my thooughts on to paper at all

    >> So ... problem still not solved then.
    >> Here we see only the typing. If it doesn't make any sense, then
    >> (effectively) neither do you :)
    >> Aftetr you have typed it, go back and read it. Does it make sense ?
    >> If not, edit it and fix it.

    > But I can read it with ease I can nearly read French and German if there
    > is enough of it.

    so can I. some here don't seem to have any sort of "problem solving"
    skills, admittedly sometime I find it a challenge, but hey, I'm not
    perfect, why should I expect anyone else to be.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  18. Robert Cooze

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:00:32 +1200, Robert Cooze
    <> wrote:

    <Snip>

    >My normal thought process is up to a three or 4 pass system (typing
    >here) quite often ending in dealeation (the message never gets sent).
    >
    >Bash out the thoughts.
    >
    >Reword lots of it.
    >
    >try to make it sense.
    >
    >Then try to make it spelt better, most spell checkers are useless for me.
    >
    >Deletion can happen at any stage.
    >
    >Written English is like a forgen concept to me. It is like being
    >trapped, and there is no key. you have to dig your self out every time
    >with the small tea spoon.
    >
    >But I can read it with ease I can nearly read French and German if there
    >is enough of it.
    >
    >Most people seem to understand here (not) to be honest I do have a thick
    >armor more so than the flame repellent asbestos suite.
    >
    >ps I left the last post at stage one as it was,

    Just don't worry about it, I can usually read your posts without any
    real effort.
    If I want a clarification I'll ask :)

    Bret, Jul 19, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    >And sentences shouldn't begin with "And".

    And you shouldn't use prepositions to end them with?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005